BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
TheWomble
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 - Space Grey

First impressions..

Hello all, I've been systematically working through all the posts in this forum since I made the decision to buy an f10 M5. The wealth of information I found here was pretty mindblowing. I think that you guys hold, within this forum, more expertise than most of the bmw technicians I've had the misfortune of arguing with over the years...

A bit of background first, I'm a huge bmw fan living in Johannesburg, South Africa. My last 4 M cars have been a Z4M, v10 M6 (AC Schnitzer), e90 M3, and an e92 M3 (in that order). I was unsure as to what to buy next after my last M3. The v8 set the bar really high as an exceptionally usable sports car.

I had been seriously thinking about making the change to amg seeing as the 6.2 is on its way out and is regarded as one of the greatest motors. By chance I came across a 2012 space grey f10 M5 that entered the market suddenly. Had been on the fence as to whether I was ready to make the change to the new tbo M motors just yet, but I couldn't walk away from this deal. So I plunged head deep into the forum to try and get as much insight as possible abt the f10 before committing.

This is my impression of the f10 M5 over the past week or so after taking delivery. It's a bit tangential but the car has sent me into a tailspin. So here goes...

The car is exceptionally handsome. It has an understated elegance to it. The huge intakes, 20 inch mags, grill and quad pipes are the only cosmetic differences that help differentiate it from its Mpack cousins. I love the look. It's sexy and menacing at the same time. Not an easy thing to pull off.

The interior is amazing. After having driven a few of the past M5's I've always admired how well M division cossets it's drivers. The f10, however, does something amazing, it makes u feel like ur driving a coupe. The driving position is comfortable and very supportive. The bolstering is excellent. I love the aluminum finish, the plush leather and the chunky steering wheel. It's a quality cabin.

The engine - It isn't often that a motor makes such an exceptional impression on me. Being used to the masterpieces that are the normally aspirated motors from M division, I was fairly skeptical abt the new M5. I had read and watched just about every review on the f10, and everything I'd read could not have prepared me for the atom bomb that is the tbo v8 in the M5. Sure, it doesn't rev like the v8 or the v10 or even the straight 6, but the ferocity with which it hits the red line once those turbos boost is awe inspiring. It is a giant killer. On my first night drive I came across an SLS amg. I dispatched him without too much effort. I then proceeded to decimate an x6M that decided to challenge me. I've never driven a car that makes you feel so invincible. The midrange of this motor gives you that feeling in the pit of your stomach that only supercars and fighter jets give you.

It's a new challenge learning how to powerslide a 560hp monster with two turbos but I'm up to the challenge. Been a while since I've been excited to wake up and go to work, just so that I can drive my car. I hope this feeling lasts for as long as possible.

Thanks for reading guys. I know it's been a bit long winded but I wanted to put my thoughts down in a forum where I knew they would be appreciated. Will keep u updated as my journey continues to unfold.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Nice to hear you are enjoying your first moments with the M///

Even better to hear you are wanting more of its driving experience after some skepticism over the twin turbo engine

Congrats and enjoy

You are indeed correct this forum is invaluable when it comes to knowledge about M cars in general, especially the M5.

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Congratulations and welcome to the "club".

JSYK, the M5 has different fenders as well.

My BMW journey parallels yours to a point with an extra step in between. I went from the free revving lovely E92 V8 to the N63 TTV8 in the 650i to my now anticipated M5 (due in April). These TT V8s are torque monsters. I love them.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Congrats and enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 0