M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Extended chamfer on front brake pads

I don't have a lot of experience with high performance brake systems, but the pads in those I have worked on have not had the long chamfer on both the leading and trailing edge of the front brake pads. The BMW pad is about 9" long and the chamfer on each end is about 1 1/4" long, taking slightly less than one-third of the pad surface away from contact with the rotor. I called the service manager at the dealership and while he didn't know the reason for the large chamfer, he felt it was probably due to brake feel for the driver......? Does anyone have experience with this and know why BMW would deliberately give up so much friction contact area on their brakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with high performance brake systems, but the pads in those I have worked on have not had the long chamfer on both the leading and trailing edge of the front brake pads. The BMW pad is about 9" long and the chamfer on each end is about 1 1/4" long, taking slightly less than one-third of the pad surface away from contact with the rotor. I called the service manager at the dealership and while he didn't know the reason for the large chamfer, he felt it was probably due to brake feel for the driver......? Does anyone have experience with this and know why BMW would deliberately give up so much friction contact area on their brakes?
To minimize noise probably.
Appreciate 0