M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-12-2015, 04:52 AM   #1
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
KW V3 and Dinan Sway Bar intsallation

Hi there,

Just got them install on my M5. Have some issue with the front Sway Bar installation. The installation is done by BMW.

I was told by the technician that the supplied Dinan adjustable link is way too long to get the Front Sway Bar connected with the KW V3 Coilover with the Dinan recommended length on the adjustable link. Are the BMW Techincian doing something wrong in the installation???

The height of the KW V is set to the same height of a M5 CP ride height.

Any idea whats happening??

Any tips will be a great help. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Not sure what's happening but I have this combo and no issues.
      02-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

KW V3 shock/BMW M5 shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquest View Post
I was told by the technician that the supplied Dinan adjustable link is way too long to get the Front Sway Bar connected with the KW V3 Coilover with the Dinan recommended length on the adjustable link.
Any idea whats happening??
I am just starting the KW V3 installation and have come upon this same problem with the stock sway bar link to the attachment point on the KW shock. I've measured the distance from the center of the mounting clevis on the shocks to the center of the sway bar link tab on each. These are just done with a tape measure so not spot on, but the stock distance is 15 1/4" and the KW V3 is 13 7/8". I'm assuming KW has done this to accommodate the threaded sleeve for spring perch positioning, but they make no mention of it in the instructions. I've set both my front and rear shocks to almost max height for a start. When it's on the ground I figure it's easier to lower than raise.

The BMW sway bar is bonded to its rubber bushing, so once it's mounted rotation of the bar is not possible to deal with the 1 3/8" difference in length. The Dinan bar should be movable, and with the adjustable link you should be able to make it work. I'll call KW tomorrow to see if they have a work around for my situation.

Edit:Have the front fully assembled and the sway bar link bolt is about 3" above the attachment point on the KW V3 shock. Please ask your mechanic if yours is about that same distance. I'm sure others have installed the KW V3 with BMW sway bars, but I've assembled everything properly. It's almost impossible not to, I don't know what could be done to make this bolt up, frustrating.

Edit 2:It's good to know that a professional mechanic might be as stupid as a home tinkerer. Perhaps your mechanic was looking at the install as I was, with the wheel at full droop on the lift. The sway bar won't line up in that situation. All it takes is to lift the wheel hub enough (compressing the shock) and the shock tab will be even with the sway bar link! I hate being stupid in public! Here's a second shot of what I was looking at.
Attached Images

Last edited by Used2be; 02-16-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

What was your outcome on your install. Did you find the fix to the bolt up
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
What was your outcome on your install. Did you find the fix to the bolt up
Yes I did. My second edit added my stupid mistake with the link. I have the front buttoned up with repainted calipers and SS brake lines. I still have to paint the rear calipers and install them with the SS lines, then restore the brake fluid, bleed and see how the car sits once I put it on the ground. I have the springs turned up to almost maximum height, which I think will be about 1/2 inch lower than the stock height. Once I can drive without snow on the roads I'll let it settle and then decide where I want it, height wise. Then alignment and test ride comparisons.

I am really having to restrain myself from doing the catless downpipes with either the BR or AMS tune! So tempting, but I fear I will wait until after warranty is up. Too chicken to void warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Glad you sorted it out. You won't void the warranty w dp. That mod yields some great power and sound. You can't go wrong. I get my ecu back from br next week and will post up a review. I can tell you it is the real deal as my bud here just got his back and I drive his 1/2 hour so I know first hand. Now Ams has to send theirs out to br to decrypt then receive it back and put their spin on a tune. I know they will have a good one also. Don't know if you knew that. Oh yea I have ss lines also but haven't installed yet
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Glad you sorted it out. You won't void the warranty w dp. That mod yields some great power and sound. You can't go wrong. I get my ecu back from br next week and will post up a review. I can tell you it is the real deal as my bud here just got his back and I drive his 1/2 hour so I know first hand. Now Ams has to send theirs out to br to decrypt then receive it back and put their spin on a tune. I know they will have a good one also. Don't know if you knew that. Oh yea I have ss lines also but haven't installed yet
I know the DP by themselves won't violate the warranty, but I want to get the full impact of them without worrying over the problems with extended time at full throttle, which the tune cures. I thought AMS already had a decrypted ECU and was working on their tune with it. The front SS lines length just barely accommodates full lock wheel turn at full droop. I noticed that as I was attaching them to the calipers. But, full lock at full droop shouldn't happen in real life, hopefully. And it is nice they have the rubber grommets for the stock clips on the upright.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 03:08 AM   #8
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

I Think you'll be just fine.
Appreciate 0