M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
falsalem
Private First Class
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 Alpine White

Help ! Rattling close to rear axle

I have been driving my recently purchased 2013 M5 for a week now. It is preowned with 15000 miles.

Since this morning, I've noticed a continuos rattling in the rear axle area. I reached down below the car in the rear axle area and can feel a continuous rattling and slight tapping sound on the underside protection panel area around the rear axle. This rattle/tapping can be felt if you touch the underbelly of the rear axle area, as well as heard clearly from the outside of the car if you get close to the rear axle. The sound can also be heard from the inside of the cabin towards the rear.

Moreover, movement of the car, or revving the engine doesn't affect the frequency of the rattling. It is a monotonous, continuous rattle/tapping.

Anybody here know whats going on with my baby ?! help please...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
falsalem
Private First Class
Kuwait
Rep

After looking through many threads, I'm thinking the sound may be related to the fuel pump.

Anybody had a noisy fuel pump before ?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

not sure what you mean by feeling the rattle? Can you feel something moving?......

One other thing to consider....Getting a stone or pebble trapped around the brake disc area also causes a very load horrible noise which sounds like a pebble being shaken in a tin can....

If this is it, it usually falls out itself with some heavy driving....(this is what happened to me)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
falsalem
Private First Class
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru
not sure what you mean by feeling the rattle? Can you feel something moving?......

One other thing to consider....Getting a stone or pebble trapped around the brake disc area also causes a very load horrible noise which sounds like a pebble being shaken in a tin can....

If this is it, it usually falls out itself with some heavy driving....(this is what happened to me)
I can feel the rattle if I touch what I think is the underbelly of the gas tank in the rear section of the car.

I doubt it's a stone in the brake disc area because the rattle/clunking sound is consistent even when I'm idling.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by falsalem View Post
I can feel the rattle if I touch what I think is the underbelly of the gas tank in the rear section of the car.

I doubt it's a stone in the brake disc area because the rattle/clunking sound is consistent even when I'm idling.
In that case I honestly dont know so a trip to bmw may be required
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
falsalem
Private First Class
Kuwait
Rep

Thanks for responding. The dealership will be closed for a week-long holiday.

I'm seeking answers in the forum till the dealership is ready to take my baby in
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 01:25 AM   #7
Danishp97
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 M6 GRAN COUPE

Quote:

I'm seeking answers in the forum till the dealership is ready to take my baby in
Quote:

Hi! Were you able to find a solution? I'm having a similar problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #8
Gbmw09
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I have been driving my recently purchased 2013 M5 for a week now. It is preowned with 15000 miles.

Since this morning, I've noticed a continuos rattling in the rear axle area. I reached down below the car in the rear axle area and can feel a continuous rattling and slight tapping sound on the underside protection panel area around the rear axle. This rattle/tapping can be felt if you touch the underbelly of the rear axle area, as well as heard clearly from the outside of the car if you get close to the rear axle. The sound can also be heard from the inside of the cabin towards the rear.

Moreover, movement of the car, or revving the engine doesn't affect the frequency of the rattling. It is a monotonous, continuous rattle/tapping.

Quote:

Have you gotten solutions I'll love to know man
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 08:39 PM   #9
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

I recently started hearing a slight noise in the rear passenger side area. I've been all under the car looking and pulled the rear wheels and repositioned the shields on the rear disk. The noise doesn't sound bad, but it's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 06:57 PM   #10
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

So for mine I hear a tapping at 10-20 mph when coasting. If I brake or accelerate it stops. I've been up under the car 3 times and can't find anything loose or rubbing. Car feels fine. Just can't track down this rotational ticking noise.
Appreciate 0