M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

Closed Thread

10-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #221
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW335 View Post
People are just going everywhere with this to defend their M5. Saying that the E63 is not a competitor and see the S63 more so. It's two totally different class of cars. The S63 should be compared to an S8 or the 7 series. Sounds to me like you're trying to up the status of your 5 series.

Now you're saying that the E63 is a shit car. You returned it to hertz and got a Galardo and had some "real" fun. Now you're comparing how the E63 drives against a Gallardo? The M5 would be a shit car too since the Galardo is a true sports car, it is not a 4400 lb sedan trying to be a sports car.

The people trying to dismiss the motortrend review sound more ridiculous the more they post. Everything everyone is saying in this forum is subjective and is no better than the journalists reviewing the cars. At least they try to put actual numbers down which show that the E63 has an edge.
I have to agree with some of your comments, the E63 "Power wise" is for sure in the same ball Park as the M5, where as the "Galardo" should not be mentioned in the same breath as the M5, totally different cars.
Mercedes are going in a direction for "Improvement in performance/handling"
OK it may not have the fit and finish or looks for that mater that we (BMW M guys) like, but like it or not they are improving , some would say surpassing BMW M Cars.
The very fact BMW are moving towards more 4 wheel drive cars tells us something.
BUT and it's a big but IMO, Value for money can not be surpassed by any Mercedes or Audi in favour of our M5.
One last point: Reliability The Mercedes do have some issues, this being one :http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906411" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.f30post.c...p?t=906411</a>
People get way too worked up and start fabricating things to argue about.
Have fun debating your E's and M's everyone. Be careful with S and never never say G - unrelated or not.

All I can do is laugh at this point.
      10-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #222
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Maybe you should watch the video before posting.
i have seen it before this thread was created

u still didnt get my point, so maybe u need to read through my comments, before putting angry smiles and telling me to watch the video

but i will explain it especially for you once again!

i will buy amg, as soon as:
1) they will develop something similar to idrive with a big-enough display, not iphone-size 5-colour display
2) dct will be used in all amg cars, not only cheapest once like a/cla 45
3) when bigger engine, which produces more hp and has more torque distributing it to 4 wheels, will be able to pull away from a car with smaller engine, with less hp and less torque distributing it only to rear wheels not only from being stationary to 60mph, but all the way to 200mph

otherwise amg looks funny, it screams and shouts with amazing stock exhaust note (i love amg's sound more than anything), but doesnt accelerate

u can drive honda civic straight pipe and its gonna scream and shout, but would it accelerate? hmm...

if u such amg lover, sell your m5 and get e63s, whats yr problem?
why u driving this shit m5? oy yeah, its "cool", u r just "messing around"
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #223
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
People get way too worked up and start fabricating things to argue about.
Have fun debating your E's and M's everyone. Be careful with S and never never say G - unrelated or not.

All I can do is laugh at this point.
totally agree man
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #224
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I have to agree with some of your comments, the E63 "Power wise" is for sure in the same ball Park as the M5, where as the "Galardo" should not be mentioned in the same breath as the M5, totally different cars.
Mercedes are going in a direction for "Improvement in performance/handling"
OK it may not have the fit and finish or looks for that mater that we (BMW M guys) like, but like it or not they are improving , some would say surpassing BMW M Cars.
The very fact BMW are moving towards more 4 wheel drive cars tells us something.
BUT and it's a big but IMO, Value for money can not be surpassed by any Mercedes or Audi in favour of our M5.
One last point: Reliability The Mercedes do have some issues, this being one :http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906411
yh, mercedes reliability is a joke

my friends 2013 cls63 ecu blew up on highway in the middle of italy at midnight, all breaks just locked, luckily it happened on straight part of highway and we were doing just over 100kmh

mercedes told him they will cover all the cabs, while the car is being fixed, so we decided to use cabs all around SOF, where we were heading! u think they ever covered anything? not a single penny!

car was feeling strange from day 1, always shaking, while breaking from 10 to 0 mph, it has been to service 3-4 times, every single time they were telling him it is sorted, but nothing has been ever changed, so last time he told them i am going for eurotrip, please make sure its done right, they said of course, dont worry, blah this blah that...

i am not saying that bmw is the most reliable car, there are couple of lemons on forum and service departments are jokes, unless you have good relations with SA, but i will say it again, the only 2 mercs i will look at are S and G

finally, yesterday we were racing with cls63 all day and his car just feels "tired", he cannot even stay close to me, i pull away from him at any speed very easily

he finally realised as well, his cls is only better looking exterior-wise for him, nothing much, shopping for m6 gc now
Wow that is crazy. Did they give a reason for the catastrophic failure?

I know they didn't reimburse for the alt transportation, but did MBZ take back your friends CLS?
      10-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #225
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@mstmng interesting to hear your thoughts on AMG. They are almost exactly similar to mine.

I have a S65 in NY and decided I am going to replace it with the new '14 S63 because the new and (finally) updated command system is finally on a big screen, looks a lot nicer/modern, etc. Not iDrive but it's a big step up for MBZ. The driver assistance tech is very cool. It is four wheel drive which for NY is perfect. Only thing is I am very disappointed that they didn't put a DCT in it that's similar to the M's.

But the Maybach quality interior and Burr sound system was really impressive. Figured it was worth a shot.

What do you think of the new 63?
      10-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #226
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

this thread is fun...

just realize sometimes you are feeding the trolls and the 3-series drivers, and that Urban Legend just likes to poke the bear.

I am tending to find I appreciate the opinions of those who can buy just about anything in this segment, and choose the M5...not what some neackbeard journo, or person who can't afford the M thinks.
      10-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #227
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I know they didn't reimburse for the alt transportation, but did MBZ take back your friends CLS?
no reason for catastrophic failure, "just happened, we don't know"

they took it to some city in italy and then 10 days later delivered it to monaco with new ecu unit, but that shaking is still here!

my friend is not pushy enough, i would have taken them to court, but he is so chilled: "i will buy new car soon, someone else will have this headache"

funny enough his x6m been to service 4 times as well and they never fixed it his drivetrain issue and power loss, but it took them (in same service) 6!!! weeks to get me a part from germany for my aircon during hottest time of the year i did not have an aircon

u know what was the reason? m5 is rare car and bmw needs to produce extra parts separately, so we can change them! am i really dumb or aircon parts are different for 520i/d, 525d, 530d, 535d, 5 hybrid, 550i, m550d, 535i, etc ?

anyways i went to another service to a an SA who has been looking for my friend's m3 for past 4 years and now everything gets sorted within 2-3 days, and parts arrive next morning!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #228
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
@mstmng interesting to hear your thoughts on AMG. They are almost exactly similar to mine.

I have a S65 in NY and decided I am going to replace it with the new '14 S63 because the new and (finally) updated command system is finally on a big screen, looks a lot nicer/modern, etc. Not iDrive but it's a big step up for MBZ. The driver assistance tech is very cool. It is four wheel drive which for NY is perfect. Only thing is I am very disappointed that they didn't put a DCT in it that's similar to the M's.

But the Maybach quality interior and Burr sound system was really impressive. Figured it was worth a shot.

i think new S class generally is beautiful
technology behind that car is definitely more than up-todate and i would take it all day long to seat on rear seat being driven over current 7 series, but lets see what new generation 7 series is going to offer us!

i have driven the new s500 short-base and really liked it, but if i would be considering non-amg S-class being driven around, i would go for long-base s320 diesel or s400hybrid, whatever is the most fuel economic atm, as i dont see a point paying for petrol for the driver's joy
interior is beyond believe, i never liked maybach, its been always fugly for me, would have even taken ghost, not even phantom instead, but new S-class is just a F piece of art!

speaking of s63
i don't know man, i cannot and i can see how you compare it to m5, they are same, but different, at the same time

both offer comfort, luxury, amazing cars for everyday driving, 4matic s63 is definitely an amazing choice for NY if you are going to drive it yourself, i am pretty sure if i would be in your shoes, i would follow your steps , even though i find 7 series/ S-class and A8 - made for being driven on back seat, but in this case hands-up for amg
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #229
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
i have seen it before this thread was created

u still didnt get my point, so maybe u need to read through my comments, before putting angry smiles and telling me to watch the video

but i will explain it especially for you once again!

i will buy amg, as soon as:
1) they will develop something similar to idrive with a big-enough display, not iphone-size 5-colour display
2) dct will be used in all amg cars, not only cheapest once like a/cla 45
3) when bigger engine, which produces more hp and has more torque distributing it to 4 wheels, will be able to pull away from a car with smaller engine, with less hp and less torque distributing it only to rear wheels not only from being stationary to 60mph, but all the way to 200mph

otherwise amg looks funny, it screams and shouts with amazing stock exhaust note (i love amg's sound more than anything), but doesnt accelerate

u can drive honda civic straight pipe and its gonna scream and shout, but would it accelerate? hmm...

if u such amg lover, sell your m5 and get e63s, whats yr problem?
why u driving this shit m5? oy yeah, its "cool", u r just "messing around"
Duly noted.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #230
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Duly noted.
good for u then
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #231
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

i think new S class generally is beautiful
technology behind that car is definitely more than up-todate and i would take it all day long to seat on rear seat being driven over current 7 series, but lets see what new generation 7 series is going to offer us!

i have driven the new s500 short-base and really liked it, but if i would be considering non-amg S-class being driven around, i would go for long-base s320 diesel or s400hybrid, whatever is the most fuel economic atm, as i dont see a point paying for petrol for the driver's joy
interior is beyond believe, i never liked maybach, its been always fugly for me, would have even taken ghost, not even phantom instead, but new S-class is just a F piece of art!

speaking of s63
i don't know man, i cannot and i can see how you compare it to m5, they are same, but different, at the same time

both offer comfort, luxury, amazing cars for everyday driving, 4matic s63 is definitely an amazing choice for NY if you are going to drive it yourself, i am pretty sure if i would be in your shoes, i would follow your steps , even though i find 7 series/ S-class and A8 - made for being driven on back seat, but in this case hands-up for amg
Yeah I agree with the S Class interior and tech, impressive to say the least.

I have owned many model years S63 AMG and M5. When people ask about the two I always say that they are completely different animals. I always have and still do think that.

But, when someone starts to think about purchasing the E63S or the BMW M5.. I think the E63S is fast, but has a poor interior and is not "the overall package" like the M5. So I would in this case say that if you are going to decide between AMG and M, choose either the '14 S63 or the '14 M5 CP. I don't know, the E just doesn't cut it.
      10-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #232
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

no reason for catastrophic failure, "just happened, we don't know"

they took it to some city in italy and then 10 days later delivered it to monaco with new ecu unit, but that shaking is still here!

my friend is not pushy enough, i would have taken them to court, but he is so chilled: "i will buy new car soon, someone else will have this headache"

funny enough his x6m been to service 4 times as well and they never fixed it his drivetrain issue and power loss, but it took them (in same service) 6!!! weeks to get me a part from germany for my aircon during hottest time of the year i did not have an aircon

u know what was the reason? m5 is rare car and bmw needs to produce extra parts separately, so we can change them! am i really dumb or aircon parts are different for 520i/d, 525d, 530d, 535d, 5 hybrid, 550i, m550d, 535i, etc ?

anyways i went to another service to a an SA who has been looking for my friend's m3 for past 4 years and now everything gets sorted within 2-3 days, and parts arrive next morning!
That is crazy he's driving the same car again. I would ask them to take it back if they couldn't offer a reason why it blew up and it drives like crap. What your saying reminds me a lot of the E63 I rented. I thought something had to be seriously wrong with it - AMG couldn't produce a car that behaves like this? Were my thoughts.
      10-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #233
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I agree with the S Class interior and tech, impressive to say the least.

I have owned many model years S63 AMG and M5. When people ask about the two I always say that they are completely different animals. I always have and still do think that.

But, when someone starts to think about purchasing the E63S or the BMW M5.. I think the E63S is fast, but has a poor interior and is not "the overall package" like the M5. So I would in this case say that if you are going to decide between AMG and M, choose either the '14 S63 or the '14 M5 CP. I don't know, the E just doesn't cut it.
yeah, E-class interior wise is more like 3/4 series

don't know if you have seen, but there are pics of '14 viano and c-class

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/21/m...rior-pictures/

if they make changes towards this way, next generation E-class should be looking good inside as well, because this C-class interior looks better than current 3/4 series
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #234
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That is crazy he's driving the same car again. I would ask them to take it back if they couldn't offer a reason why it blew up and it drives like crap. What your saying reminds me a lot of the E63 I rented. I thought something had to be seriously wrong with it - AMG couldn't produce a car that behaves like this? Were my thoughts.
i know, i would not even touch that car anymore
he had all rights to return it, but i guess he wanted to prove me he won't give up AMG for M, but yesterday he finally realised he should

i am still thinking AMG cannot produce a car like that, but if u had same thoughts driving different model in different part of the world, they CAN and they DO produce such cars
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #235
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW335 View Post
People are just going everywhere with this to defend their M5. Saying that the E63 is not a competitor and see the S63 more so. It's two totally different class of cars. The S63 should be compared to an S8 or the 7 series. Sounds to me like you're trying to up the status of your 5 series.

The people trying to dismiss the motortrend review sound more ridiculous the more they post. Everything everyone is saying in this forum is subjective and is no better than the journalists reviewing the cars. At least they try to put actual numbers down which show that the E63 has an edge.
^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
No. This is the face-lifted W212 chassis.

This is not a "new" E63 by any means.

I wonder how many people in this thread think the '14 E63 is a "new" model.

Imagine what the new, completely redesigned E63 will be like. My guess would be lethal.
^^ And this.

Quoted for truth and all that..

Last edited by MJones3; 10-28-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #236
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The E92 was shit from an interior perspective. In fact the F30 isn't much better.

But the F10 is substantially better than Audi's A6 and S6 models. BMW basically brought 7 series quality to the 5 series, and Audi left a big gap between the A8 and the A6.

To make things even worse BMW advanced it's use of materials and design so much that the M5 interior is also richer than the S8 interior. For instance if you look at full leather in an S8, you will notice the material used is softer and more expensive looking in the BMW and the stitching is also better.
I could not disagree more. Not even the 7-series can come close to the standard of the A8 imo. The M5 feels just exactly like it should, a nice 5-series. Don't get me wrong, I love it inside and out, but when I got in an optioned out A8 it felt like a RR Phantom in comparision.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Audi's...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #237
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaatan View Post
I could not disagree more. Not even the 7-series can come close to the standard of the A8 imo. The M5 feels just exactly like it should, a nice 5-series. Don't get me wrong, I love it inside and out, but when I got in an optioned out A8 it felt like a RR Phantom in comparision.

Phantom? u serious? this is really going extreme

if optioned out a8 felt like phantom, then avlnch individual m5 should be feeling like bbj

i cannot stop laughing!

Last edited by mstmng; 10-28-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #238
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Phantom? u serious? this is really going extreme

if optioned out a8 felt like phantom, then avlnch individual m5 should be feeling like bbj

i cannot stop laughing!
Lol. This thread peaked with the OPs first post. This thread should get locked and forever be classified as a 2013 thread classic.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #239
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
No. This is the face-lifted W212 chassis.

This is not a "new" E63 by any means.

I wonder how many people in this thread think the '14 E63 is a "new" model.

Imagine what the new, completely redesigned E63 will be like. My guess would be lethal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaatan View Post

^^ And this.

Quoted for truth and all that..
nobody thinks that 14' e63 is a "new" model!

imagine what the new, completely redesigned M5 will be like. My guess it would shit on e63 again
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #240
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Lol. This thread peaked with the OPs first post. This thread should get locked and forever be classified as a 2013 thread classic.
definitely man! like a museum showpiece
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #241
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaatan

You've obviously never been in a phantom.

I know what you mean though, first time I say in an A8 I was impressed too. After sitting in an A8 a half dozen additional times I noticed things I didn't notice the first time. There is a reason AUDI makes a less expensive car despite having a higher cost structure than BMW. If you spend more time and start to touch and feel the materials the difference is very transparent.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #242
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
nobody thinks that 14' e63 is a "new" model!

imagine what the new, completely redesigned M5 will be like. My guess it would shit on e63 again
Oh no! Another biased review of the E63. Mercedes-Benz AMG must be paying off everyone in the automotive journalism industry!

It's a conspiracy. How could there ever be a car that could be on par with the M5? It's just not possible.

Justin Bell, a former racecar driver, praises the car's power, handling, etc.

Then he goes on to rave about the build quality, fit and finish, etc. But those all must be lies because I've seen several times in this thread that the E63's interior is "shit."

The M5 is a fantastic car. Personally, I'd love to own one. That said, I'd buy an E63 "S" first. It's just unfortunate to see supposed "enthusiasts" bashing a very capable car that in some respects is objectively better than the M5.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread