Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Welcome to the DC area. I can only speak for myself and I feel I can't get the most out of my M5 here in this area, which is just one of the reasons I'm thinking of selling my M5. It's like having a tiger performing in the circus - sure you get to roar and run around a few times, but you don't get to be your natural self in your natural habitat.

I live in Tysons/Merrifield area and I usually head west almost to WV in order to really open it up. The two places I frequent are the back roads in Clifton, VA (hella deer at night on these roads) and Blueridge Mountain Rd, Bluemont (Clarke County), VA 20135. No traffic or cops! The Blueridge Mtn. Rd location has a combination of hills, slopes, straights and mountain views and not really populated (a couple of shacks) with the exception of this huge FEMA facility that comes out of nowhere. I will say that if you are not in control of your car on this road, that will be the end of your M5 and you... I don't track cars, but there are couple of raceways and tracks in MD that people use (MD Int'l Raceway and Capitol Raceway). The VIR seems like a long way from here and there are closer choices. BTW, the Blue Ridge Pkwy is very scenic and could be fun, but they make sure you don't speed (speed limits of 35 & 45 w/substantial police presence). There's also a raceway/track people swear by in WV, but I can't remember the name.

I can't remember the poster's name, but he hit it on the head when he said that you should try to have a reverse commute around here.

Police presence is insane around here and the speed cameras in MD and DC are really stupid. You should most definitely keep your car registered in another state for the reasons you mentioned. The state police in VA & MD tend to use laser and the locals use radar.

I got nothing on BMW service centers. I used Fairfax a few times and the guy I work with is cool (Michael Smith), but if I didn't have out of state tags, they weren't going to put in the IND painted reflector replacements b/c they said it wouldn't pass VA inspection. So, I don't think they would be a good choice for a heavily moded car. However, there is a Dinan center (Lee Hwy and Prosperity Road) located across the street from the dealership and you may have more luck with them. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Welcome to the hood, bro. A couple of things I will add:

-It's been mentioned, but the speed cameras are no joke here. They're everywhere, and a mix of k-band, laser, etc, too. They're on the highways like 295 in DC and on backroads in DC and MD. If you don't already, I'd seriously consider Stealth's LI/Bel Stir Plus set up; I've been running it since I got my M5 and it has more than paid for itself here.
-RRT racing out in Sterling (right behind Dulles Airport) is a great shop. They are a BMW-focused shop and can help with just about any mod you need or already have as well as regular PM work. They installed my exhaust for me and I will go back to them for my tune.
-I took delivery from BMW of Sterling (VA) and have been less than satisfied with them lately; if you're considering Ballston than Alexandria is a good call.
-I love the drive from DC to Charlottesville...well the part where you get down Rte 29 past Gainesville. Lots of cops but a great road to drive.
-I don't know if you're single/married/only married in CA/etc but I lived in Clarendon for a few years and that place is the bomb.com if you like going out to bars or are not offended by the plentiful eye candy that walks the streets in ridiculously short skirts. Rated #2 in the country by CNN as the best place to live as a single younger professional.

PM me if you need any help getting settled, I've been on active duty in DC since 2008 (when not down range).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Thanks guys. I start my new job on Oct 1st. So I'll officially be in the area at that time.

I am seriously considering all of your advice about commuting to work in the area. I have found a nice place literally 1.0 mile from where I will be working, which is in SW DC, but I do really like the look/sound of Ballston and Clarendon. I am a single dude with a California girlfriend, but we're ending it as soon as I leave, it's mutual though. I really have no desire to chase tail while I'm out there, I'll just have too much going on with my career while I'm living in the DC area. I'm still searching for place to live, but man things are so much more expensive than San Diego. I'm starting to like the idea of commuting less and less though.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Dave there is not much I can add to what has already been said. I hail from D.C. myself and it is a great place to live (went to law school there). You cannot go wrong with Arlington (Ballson or Clarendon) and you will find it to be a great place for a young professional. I will warn you that speeding is very hard to do in the D.C. metro area and particularly hard to do in suburban Virginia (ask me how I know). As for places to open up the M5...they do not exist. The M5 is a complete waste in D.C. and you will find yourself keeping it garaged and driving the Fiat. Also, be careful parking in the D.C. area. Cars get beat to hell in D.C. by bad drivers, accidents, potholes, weather, ect. Lastly, I have been away too long to help with Indy shops and what dealers have the best service. My memories of D.C. area dealer service departments are generally all bad. Good news is that if you are moving to the east cost D.C. is probably the best place you could end up from a career and social life perspective. As a driving enthusiast you will really miss SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Virginia is one of the worst states to get caught speeding in. Lots of my friends who aren not from there have done jailtime for it, and the few times i visited i remember sticking to the limit, not worth it. Welcome to the east coast, hope you settle in great and find your niche. And dont' forget about the changing seasons that tend to bring snow as well.

Last edited by NlckyBlack; 08-28-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Thanks guys. I start my new job on Oct 1st. So I'll officially be in the area at that time.

I am seriously considering all of your advice about commuting to work in the area. I have found a nice place literally 1.0 mile from where I will be working, which is in SW DC, but I do really like the look/sound of Ballston and Clarendon. I am a single dude with a California girlfriend, but we're ending it as soon as I leave we discussed. I really have no desire to chase tail while I'm out there, I'll just have too much going on with my career while I'm living in the DC area. I'm still searching for place to live, but man things are so much more expensive than San Diego. I'm starting to like the idea of commuting less and less though.
Ok. Couple of things here. First, smart move on not doing the long distance relationship thing...been there done that and never works. Second, you WILL chase tail in D.C. and it will happen because you simply cannot avoid it. The ratio of women to men is something crazy like 12 to 1. MANY pretty and professional women in this city and you will take advantage of it. Third, please do not live in Southwest D.C. It is crime central and even though it is close to work (you must be Navy) the crime is just bad. I strongly suggest you, at least, reconsider and try Northwest D.C. Your rent will be outrageous, but much better areas. Consider Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, ect. Lastly, if you ignore everything I have just said please, for the love of God, do not , I mean do not commute long distance from outside the city to work inside the city. You will shoot yourself within 3 months. Either live in the city close to work and use the Metro or walk.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Ditto every thing these guys above said... if you are in SW DC area also check out Old Town Alexandria, Shirlington, and Del Ray... all really cool neighborhoods.

And if you are really thinking of becoming an FSO, get used to DC 'cause you will spend 1/3 to 1/2 of your future career there.. my wife got all the way to the 3rd test (interview) before getting offered a much better job elsewhere.
      08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #30
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Ok. Couple of things here. First, smart move on not doing the long distance relationship thing...been there done that and never works. Second, you WILL chase tail in D.C. and it will happen because you simply cannot avoid it. The ratio of women to men is something crazy like 12 to 1. MANY pretty and professional women in this city and you will take advantage of it. Third, please do not live in Southwest D.C. It is crime central and even though it is close to work (you must be Navy) the crime is just bad. I strongly suggest you, at least, reconsider and try Northwest D.C. Your rent will be outrageous, but much better areas. Consider Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, ect. Lastly, if you ignore everything I have just said please, for the love of God, do not , I mean do not commute long distance from outside the city to work inside the city. You will shoot yourself within 3 months. Either live in the city close to work and use the Metro or walk.
When it comes to commuting in DC, you either pay in time or you pay in money. IMO it's better to live closer and pay in money and maintain your sanity.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Alpine...you're not going to have much luck living in Clarendon/Ballston/G'town and not chasing tail...it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #31
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Ditto every thing these guys above said... if you are in SW DC area also check out Old Town Alexandria, Shirlington, and Del Ray... all really cool neighborhoods.

And if you are really thinking of becoming an FSO, get used to DC 'cause you will spend 1/3 to 1/2 of your future career there.. my wife got all the way to the 3rd test (interview) before getting offered a much better job elsewhere.
Good point on Old Town Alexandria. A little further out of the way, but a nice place to live.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #32
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Gato Malodoro View Post
When it comes to commuting in DC, you either pay in time or you pay in money. IMO it's better to live closer and pay in money and maintain your sanity.

And I wholeheartedly agree with Alpine...you're not going to have much luck living in Clarendon/Ballston/G'town and not chasing tail...it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Yep...it is. He will learn once he gets there. D.C. is a great place to be a single man.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

RPiM5: Are you Navy?

I served in the Royal Navy in my country and one of my US relatives is a serving Navy Seal at the moment

GMY
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #34
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Guys this is amazing advice. I can't thank you enough for it.

Here's what I'm learning from you:

1. May need to sell the M5, just a waste of money it seems like. Ugh, but I love it. I don't think I'll get rid of it, but we'll see.
2. Seems like my 200hp Fiat Abarth might be better for the DC environment. It's way more fun at way lower speeds, plus good for the snow with its FWD.
3. Finding a place that can accomodate 2 cars without costing me and arm and a leg is almost impossible. Plus it seems that every place in DC you have to pay for parking. DC condos do not come with a spot.
4. Chasing Tail seems inevitable. Last thing I need right now, I got 99 problems and a b*tch ain't one, lol!
5. Included is a map of a couple places that I have found. I will be working at Fort McNair. The place in SW DC I have found doesn't appear to be in crime central. I have many collegues that have been stationed in DC before and they have all told me Alexandria (Old Town), Ballston, Clarendon, and NW DC are the places to live but all expensive. The place I have found in Ballston is more expensive, but much nicer. I would have to commute though. I have also found a couple places near Old Town, but I don't really like the neighborhoods, plus I can already see the townsfolk of Alexandria forming a mob with pitchforks and torches to destroy my loud M5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #35
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Dude, if you're going to keep the M5 and live in DC, you have to have a garage or live in Ballston, Clarendon, Crystal/Pentagon City or Shirlington (preferably with a garage too) and take the Metro. As Gato said, you will either pay in time or money. If you have a Metro ride that lasts 20-25 minutes consider yourself privileged. Also, if you value your M5 like I do, please do not park it on any street...anywhere. SW DC neighborhoods are improving, but it's more about the street you live on (i.e., crime can be block-to-block).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #36
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

If you are at McNair (NWC student? Instructor?), you are really going to hate life during the baseball season. If you are there 1 Oct, you wont notice it at first.... My wife worked literally one block north of the ballpark (about 1/2 mile from McNair); commute from alexandria was 25 minutes on good days, but coming home could take 45-55 minutes as 295 got crushed. In my neighborhood, it was all military, ex-military contractors/civilians/DOS/Docs/Lawyers -- the guy 3 doors down had an M6 and then upgraded to a 2013 M5. No one minded his car.

If I was single and at McNair, I might look to live around Navy yard / Eastern Market... lots of nice restaurants and bars... yes, its in the district, so finding a place with parking is going to be a bitch.

Over where you dropped apoint there are two neighborhoods that arent bad and may have parking: capital square and capital quarter (check out www.eya.com - established neighborhoods). But like any big city, it gets really sketchy quick once you get a street or two over -- wait till you see the area just outside of Ft. McNair.

Otherwise, be prepared to commute.... anything under 30-40 minutes is a win.
      08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I really have no desire to chase tail while I'm out there, I'll just have too much going on with my career while I'm living in the DC area.
Yea good luck with that...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #38
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackson1906 View Post
Dude, if you're going to keep the M5 and live in DC, you have to have a garage or live in Ballston, Clarendon, Crystal/Pentagon City or Shirlington (preferably with a garage too) and take the Metro. As Gato said, you will either pay in time or money. If you have a Metro ride that lasts 20-25 minutes consider yourself privileged. Also, if you value your M5 like I do, please do not park it on any street...anywhere. SW DC neighborhoods are improving, but it's more about the street you live on (i.e., crime can be block-to-block).
The M5 will definitely be garaged. Don't worry. It's my Fiat that I'm worried about. Currently trying to get rid of it, but I don't think I will within the next couple of weeks.

I saw Shirlington too, seems nice as well. Too many options and too little time. Oye!

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #39
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you are at McNair (NWC student? Instructor?), you are really going to hate life during the baseball season. If you are there 1 Oct, you wont notice it at first.... My wife worked literally one block north of the ballpark (about 1/2 mile from McNair); commute from alexandria was 25 minutes on good days, but coming home could take 45-55 minutes as 295 got crushed. In my neighborhood, it was all military, ex-military contractors/civilians/DOS/Docs/Lawyers -- the guy 3 doors down had an M6 and then upgraded to a 2013 M5. No one minded his car.

If I was single and at McNair, I might look to live around Navy yard / Eastern Market... lots of nice restaurants and bars... yes, its in the district, so finding a place with parking is going to be a bitch.

Over where you dropped apoint there are two neighborhoods that arent bad and may have parking: capital square and capital quarter (check out www.eya.com - established neighborhoods). But like any big city, it gets really sketchy quick once you get a street or two over -- wait till you see the area just outside of Ft. McNair.

I'll be there as an instructor. I looked at that eya site, but it doesn't appear like there is anything to rent. Just looking to rent. I don't plan on being in DC more than about 3 years I say.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #40
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:

I'll be there as an instructor. I looked at that eya site, but it doesn't appear like there is anything to rent. Just looking to rent. I don't plan on being in DC more than about 3 years I say.
I would suggest you sell one of the cars. If you street park the car will get beat to hell. Happened to me and I vowed to never again own a nice car in D.C....not worth the stress. I used to live in The Lenox Club in Crystal City and had a ton neighbors who were military like you. They have an underground garage where you can park and wash your car. Google it. It ll run you about 3k a month with parking which is a bargain for that location. You can get to work in 25 minutes from there and that includes traffic time.
      08-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #41
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Congrats on the new career move. As you already know there's so much opportunity in the armed forces. My brother who has lived in Germany the last 30 years can tell you all about that. I know your riding partners will miss you. You might not be able to wind it at wot, but it sure will scare the bageesies out ofyour neighbors.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #42
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For $3K/month you can live large in Clarendon. No brainier.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #43
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Sounds like a M5 Meet is in order to welcome Dave to the DMV.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #44
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Gato Malodoro
For $3K/month you can live large in Clarendon. No brainier.
Crystal City is much closer to work for him. I'd pay more and live closer.