Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Closed Thread

01-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Decided on a Panamera GTS

Well, it is with mixed feelings that I've made the decision to purchase a Panamera GTS instead of what will truly be a great car, the F10 M5. It was a very tough decision, but the main reason was that I was looking for something just a bit different than the M5. The fact that the US M5 production has been put off until July with an August/Sept delivery played a part as well.

To explain, I've had my E60 M5 for 5 years, and almost 130,000 miles. It was the first of two in Ohio, and I just couldn't get enough time in the car. Of course I started modding the car almost immediately - exhaust, intake, suspension, pulley, wheels and tires, differential, and of course two radar detectors and a 4 unit laser jammer (saved me a bunch of times over 90 mph). Ran the car dozens of times at the dragstrip, and on the track. Hit an indicated 160 mph on the back straight at Mid Ohio. Then I got more serious about tracking and bought a Porsche just for the track, got certified as a Porsche instructor, then bought a full-out race car and went racing.

It was a blast with the E60, being 'king of the highway' (for a while anyways), and I'd still be driving it if it didn't start to show it's age with a $3,000 plus repair estimate last week. So, my choice was to trade it in at the BMW dealer, where I was first on the list for the new M5, or to trade it in for the Panamera GTS.

I picked the GTS for a few reasons - I don't need a 560 HP car on the street - I get plenty of thrills on the track. The awd is a big plus for someone who drives to Cleveland and Chicago a lot. Finally, the GTS gave me everything I was looking for in the Panamera - the response of a n.a. engine, awd, and a more sport-oriented suspension and engine sound. Overall the best 'driver's car' in the lineup. Plus, I got a great deal, 6% off MSRP on the first ordered GTS and a lifetime guarantee on the engine and drivetrain.

The M5 will be one of the great cars for sure and I'll still hang out here and live vicariously though the reviews and experiences. Hopefully I'll get to drive one in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

I had the same choice to make and put my deposit on the M5. The Panamera has presence but after driving both I can tell you that the M5 just has so much more soul and that hooligan effect that is missing in the the Porsche 4S. I am also not sure how your pricing came out on the GTS but dollar for dollar the M5 is also amazing value. I had the e60 and hated the SMG so dumped it for the Targa4s. Long story short I am so happy that BMW is releasing a 6MT of the F10 and look forward to owning one at the end of the year. Best of luck on your order the Panamera is a win but BMW F10 M5 is the sexiest looking 4 door sedan on the road (sorry).

One thing about Ms is that once you have owned one you just keep dreaming about the next one. For me atleast.
      01-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
GT3 RSR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3 RS

I didn't realize the GTS has 4wheel drive. I like your style. NA engines are better, and 560hp is overkill. I want an agile sedan!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
I had the same choice to make and put my deposit on the M5. The Panamera has presence but after driving both I can tell you that the M5 just has so much more soul and that hooligan effect that is missing in the the Porsche 4S. I am also not sure how your pricing came out on the GTS but dollar for dollar the M5 is also amazing value. I had the e60 and hated the SMG so dumped it for the Targa4s. Long story short I am so happy that BMW is releasing a 6MT of the F10 and look forward to owning one at the end of the year. Best of luck on your order the Panamera is a win but BMW F10 M5 is the sexiest looking 4 door sedan on the road (sorry).

One thing about Ms is that once you have owned one you just keep dreaming about the next one. For me atleast.
No doubt you get more for your money with the M5. Aside from the AWD, the F10 M5 matches up pretty well against the Panny Turbo S in just about everything. I was just looking for more of a 'scalpel' than an axe...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
No doubt you get more for your money with the M5. Aside from the AWD, the F10 M5 matches up pretty well against the Panny Turbo S in just about everything. I was just looking for more of a 'scalpel' than an axe...
Frankly Porsche made it easy for me (Panamera in Pdk only). I am desperately holding onto the idea of keeping a 6MT in the garage and BMW ///M answered the call. The 4WD has been nice in the snow but I guess you can't have it all! The M5 will be a nice welcome I miss having 4 doors, 11 more months. Having the Cayenne I was less inclined to go Porsche again (very similar) and like you wanted something different. Look forward to your review one day.
      01-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Finally, the GTS gave me everything I was looking for in the Panamera - the response of a n.a. engine, awd, and a more sport-oriented suspension and engine sound. Overall the best 'driver's car' in the lineup.
I bought a house last week, I found it to be much more comfortable to live in than an M5. What is the point of this sensual dramatic post?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

mdh...I'm kind of torn between the normally aspirated engine with 4wd and monstrous exhaust sounds, unique looks vs F10 M5, which kind of looks the same as 528i...but is much more practical with measely 4 seats in huge panamera.. Please post pics!!
      05-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester View Post
mdh...I'm kind of torn between the normally aspirated engine with 4wd and monstrous exhaust sounds, unique looks vs F10 M5, which kind of looks the same as 528i...but is much more practical with measely 4 seats in huge panamera.. Please post pics!!
?? 5 series is effectively a four seater, the middle seat is not useful for adults.

secondly, the panamera's rear seats are better than any 5 series rear bench seats. The only seats that can match the Panamera's rear seats are the 7series and S class' special power adjustable rear buckets style comfort seats. A very expensive option.

Panamera is much more a sporting car than the 5. But it is wide and you will notice that in relation to the 5.

M5 is good value...Porsche is porsche. Its a big premium and a very personal decision.

I think M5 is good value if you can do without the attention the Panamera delivers; but it is an expensive 5 series and isn't as exciting to look at as a Porsche...esp the new facelifted Panamera (hopefully). With the facelift around the corner, rumour has it the Panamera will look a little more elegant. Thought its shock factor is where a lot of those looks come in.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Fedemol
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 523

Quote:
Well, it is with mixed feelings that I've made the decision to purchase a Panamera GTS instead of what will truly be a great car, the F10 M5. It was a very tough decision, but the main reason was that I was looking for something just a bit different than the M5. The fact that the US M5 production has been put off until July with an August/Sept delivery played a part as well.

To explain, I've had my E60 M5 for 5 years, and almost 130,000 miles. It was the first of two in Ohio, and I just couldn't get enough time in the car. Of course I started modding the car almost immediately - exhaust, intake, suspension, pulley, wheels and tires, differential, and of course two radar detectors and a 4 unit laser jammer (saved me a bunch of times over 90 mph). Ran the car dozens of times at the dragstrip, and on the track. Hit an indicated 160 mph on the back straight at Mid Ohio. Then I got more serious about tracking and bought a Porsche just for the track, got certified as a Porsche instructor, then bought a full-out race car and went racing.

It was a blast with the E60, being 'king of the highway' (for a while anyways), and I'd still be driving it if it didn't start to show it's age with a $3,000 plus repair estimate last week. So, my choice was to trade it in at the BMW dealer, where I was first on the list for the new M5, or to trade it in for the Panamera GTS.

I picked the GTS for a few reasons - I don't need a 560 HP car on the street - I get plenty of thrills on the track. The awd is a big plus for someone who drives to Cleveland and Chicago a lot. Finally, the GTS gave me everything I was looking for in the Panamera - the response of a n.a. engine, awd, and a more sport-oriented suspension and engine sound. Overall the best 'driver's car' in the lineup. Plus, I got a great deal, 6% off MSRP on the first ordered GTS and a lifetime guarantee on the engine and drivetrain.

The M5 will be one of the great cars for sure and I'll still hang out here and live vicariously though the reviews and experiences. Hopefully I'll get to drive one in the near future.
And who cares about the Panamera, you can read here M5 Post. If you want write the amazing comments about the Panamera you can go to Panamera’s Forum.

His attitude is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedemol View Post
And who cares about the Panamera, you can read here M5 Post. If you want write the amazing comments about the Panamera you can go to Panamera’s Forum.

His attitude is annoying.
Why open the thread then? The content was pretty clear from the title.

I was interested to read it. Thanks OP and best of luck with the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
?? 5 series is effectively a four seater, the middle seat is not useful for adults.

secondly, the panamera's rear seats are better than any 5 series rear bench seats. The only seats that can match the Panamera's rear seats are the 7series and S class' special power adjustable rear buckets style comfort seats. A very expensive option.

Panamera is much more a sporting car than the 5. But it is wide and you will notice that in relation to the 5.

M5 is good value...Porsche is porsche. Its a big premium and a very personal decision.

I think M5 is good value if you can do without the attention the Panamera delivers; but it is an expensive 5 series and isn't as exciting to look at as a Porsche...esp the new facelifted Panamera (hopefully). With the facelift around the corner, rumour has it the Panamera will look a little more elegant. Thought its shock factor is where a lot of those looks come in.
I agree about Porsche...my wife just can't get over the fact that such a humongous car has 4 seats...lol...and I've got to
Listen to her. On the other hand, I want a change from
the turbo rear wheel drive bimmer...my budget is ok to go higher than $100K to $140Kish...with 4 family members and occasionally a visitor we then have to fit in an suv, though everyone would rather sit in the new car.....
      05-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #12
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Not sure why the hate against the OP for his choice. His reasons are rather valid for his cause and I don't see why any M5 fans should be up in arms over it. If not for the fact that the Pana only seats 4 and is so hideously ugly, it would be a viable option for me too. If i were to get a Pana, i would similarly give the turbos a miss and go for the GTS.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
Not sure why the hate against the OP for his choice. His reasons are rather valid for his cause and I don't see why any M5 fans should be up in arms over it. If not for the fact that the Pana only seats 4 and is so hideously ugly, it would be a viable option for me too. If i were to get a Pana, i would similarly give the turbos a miss and go for the GTS.
Great back handed compliment there :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
Great back handed compliment there :-)
It wasn't meant to be one, Phish I respect the OP's reasoning and i agree with his points. It's just that i really can't stand how the car looks...makes me writhe in agony every time i lay my eyes on one...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
It wasn't meant to be one, Phish I respect the OP's reasoning and i agree with his points. It's just that i really can't stand how the car looks...makes me writhe in agony every time i lay my eyes on one...
Totally agree.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
MiamiSixer
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 Alpine/Sakhir On Order

Different cars for different people; I drove the Panamera but it didn't do it for me, sure it looks different but in the end the M5 is waayy better. Perhaps if we were talking about a fully loaded Turbo they might be in the same league.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Some ridiculously negative reactions here.

To the OP...enjoy, it is a great car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep

I love pana shape... And love how gts looks with front facia same as tubo/turboS and rear spoiler same as well but naturally aspirated engine ..it's a great car indeed!
Closed Thread