M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Monte Carlo over Black Merino (or Silverstone)?

I ordered the following for ED 9/3:

I like the Monte Carlo an I prefer a sand/tan/beige leather (I have that in another car and it looks awesome), but I was afraid Silverstone would be "too white," so I went with black interior.

Now I am doubting myself, especially since a lot of the official press photos are Monte Carlo over Silverstone. So, any advice?

Since you're here, any other comments on my build?

Finally, a question: do I automatically get black alcantara headliner? The configurator is confusing on that point (I see that IF you get individual colors you can get matching headliner, but I don't know what the default is....).

Thanks!

B05 Monte Carlo Blue Metallic
X3SW Black Full Merino Leather
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
ZEC Executive Package
2NZ 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M
6F2 Bang & Olufsen Sound System
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
I ordered the following for ED 9/3:

I like the Monte Carlo an I prefer a sand/tan/beige leather (I have that in another car and it looks awesome), but I was afraid Silverstone would be "too white," so I went with black interior.

Now I am doubting myself, especially since a lot of the official press photos are Monte Carlo over Silverstone. So, any advice?

Since you're here, any other comments on my build?

Finally, a question: do I automatically get black alcantara headliner? The configurator is confusing on that point (I see that IF you get individual colors you can get matching headliner, but I don't know what the default is....).

Thanks!

B05 Monte Carlo Blue Metallic
X3SW Black Full Merino Leather
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
ZEC Executive Package
2NZ 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M
6F2 Bang & Olufsen Sound System
Default is Black Alcantara.

I would get Silverstone leather if I was you. It is much nicer than black on MCB. Plus it is a two tone interior so it looks very elegant and modern. Black to me looks totally generic. A black leather interior is pretty much the same in any car.

Given your normal preferences, I think you would love Champagne leather. Maybe you should consider champagne plus leather dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Default is Black Alcantara.

I would get Silverstone leather if I was you. It is much nicer than black on MCB. Plus it is a two tone interior so it looks very elegant and modern. Black to me looks totally generic. A black leather interior is pretty much the same in any car.

Given your normal preferences, I think you would love Champagne leather. Maybe you should consider champagne plus leather dash.
I would agree, going with MCB on SS.
Straight sick
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
AttyGunther
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 M5~11 Z435is~14 K1600GTL-E

How light is champagne? It looks quite light in pictures (also with yellow tint). I wish BMW offered a medium shade of brown... Cohiba looks so dark.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttyGunther View Post
How light is champagne? It looks quite light in pictures (also with yellow tint). I wish BMW offered a medium shade of brown... Cohiba looks so dark.
Champagne looks like a beige I think - platinum would be almost white. I'd say go with MCB on SS.
      05-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Go Silverstone full leather. Looks amazing.
Our cars will be twins. I have the same options/combo :-)
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Thanks guys. I looked at Champagne on the above advice. I wish it were more "tan" (more brown, less yellow), but I showed to my wife on configurator and she kind of convinced me it was nice.

I like it with the "honey" trim, but she convinced me that (especially since the dash MUST be black with Champagne) that that would be "too busy" and she advised piano black trim.

So, on advice of better half, I am now leaning toward MCB over Champagne with piano black trim.

If they had FULL leather in Champagne, it would be a no brainer. My only remaining reservation is having a pretty tricked out build but with a black plastic dashboard.

@BarryB: Even if I go champagne, we can still be fraternal twins in Munich, I hope.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
Thanks guys. I looked at Champagne on the above advice. I wish it were more "tan" (more brown, less yellow), but I showed to my wife on configurator and she kind of convinced me it was nice.

I like it with the "honey" trim, but she convinced me that (especially since the dash MUST be black with Champagne) that that would be "too busy" and she advised piano black trim.

So, on advice of better half, I am now leaning toward MCB over Champagne with piano black trim.

If they had FULL leather in Champagne, it would be a no brainer. My only remaining reservation is having a pretty tricked out build but with a black plastic dashboard.

@BarryB: Even if I go champagne, we can still be fraternal twins in Munich, I hope.
If you go through Individual, you can get the leather dashboard with Champagne. I've seen Silverstone in person and it's not white at all. It's silver with a very attractive ice blue tinge to it, sort of like the Silverstone exterior paint color without the green undertone that can appear there. The demo M5 I saw was Monte Carlo on Silverstone and it looked absolutely stunning. I'd probably prefer Tanzanite for a deeper, stealthier, stately blue that still hints that the car is something special with its turquoise flecks, but MCB definitely makes a statement. Fwiw though, I've read that BMW's silver and white interiors can be high maintenance, i.e. be careful about stains from jeans (evidently a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser gets these out if you get them early) and clean/condition often to avoid ending up with noticeably discolored areas.

Silverstone would also work well with either aluminum or Piano Black, and even though I hated it from pics, after seeing aluminum in person, I love it and think it'd be better than Piano with Silverstone. It's got a highly intricate pattern to it that looks like a luxury watch, plus you get that cool bevel on the passenger side of the trim and on the doors which I don't think exists with Piano Black.

Also, fyi the B&O system is a total waste of cash. I got to listen to it side-by-side with the base-for-US Premium Hi-Fi system, and I couldn't discern any meaningful difference even with the windows up, engine off, and the EQ standardized across both stereos.

Whatever you do, congrats!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 05-23-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

I originally ordered MCB with black for the ease of cleaning but after further thought switched to silverstone. I've seen pics of MCB with black and it is nice but the lighter interior leather is smarter. I'm glad I made the switch but in all honesty, it isn't a huge deal. At the time I agonised about it a lot, so I know your pain.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Exclamation

I have seen Silverstone used in M3's on showroom floor and the leather ages horribly! It gets lighter and darker areas-really gross and this is prepped for the floor! My bamboo beige by comparison is aged like you would expect a good briefcase to age- different but classy-broken in if you will.Silverstone looks like painted cardboard with the color scraping off and dirt collecting.not trying to be a downer but just a warning(saw two like this).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
I have seen Silverstone used in M3's on showroom floor and the leather ages horribly! It gets lighter and darker areas-really gross and this is prepped for the floor! My bamboo beige by comparison is aged like you would expect a good briefcase to age- different but classy-broken in if you will.Silverstone looks like painted cardboard with the color scraping off and dirt collecting.not trying to be a downer but just a warning(saw two like this).
That's M3 owners for you. No idea how to look after a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

I think it's the color-frankly as an M3 owner I don't do much of anything for my leather but the beige is nice after three years.

BTW that's cause we are too busy DRIVING!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
M3s have Palladium Novillo, not the same color or even the same type of leather as Silverstone Merino. That doesn't mean Silverstone will last forever, but I don't think the M3 is an appropriate basis for comparison.

And having seen both in person, Palladium silver is a completely different color from Silverstone. The former is more of a sterling silver color, whereas the latter is a lighter silver with an ice blue tinge to it.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 05-24-2012 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

I think no matter what color you choose, wear on the leather will still show especially if the car is heavily used as in everyday. Even with the use of leather conditioners, etc. the constant friction on the leather plus the sweat (acidic with some salinity) will put a heavy toll on the condition of the leather as time progresses. The only advantage that darker shades have is that the wear will be less evident. On lighter color leather it will be very apparent especially on those with hues closest to white.
Appreciate 0