M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Talking Review of Resonated RPi GTM

EDIT: PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO MOVE PICS INTO THE TEXT

Before i write anything about exhaust i would like to thank all people on forum, for giving advices and sharing information!
Big thanks to members:
Boots for sharing his experience of resonated RPi GTM, shooting new videos and uploading them TO PISS ME OFF Nerwyll (from trinity autosport) for quick responses and 5* customer service Dave for posting his thread on loudness comparison of M5 exhausts and his "promoting" videos of RPi (otherwise i would have never found RPi and maybe this forum)

I could not decide for long time which exhaust i wanted, wether Meisterschaft, E-race or RPI GTM.
After Dave has made his thread on loudness comparison i leaned more towards RPi, however my friend had full E-race installed on M5 for long (i really liked the sound), i had E-race on M3 (amazing fitting and was very easy to sell) and i have good discount (anyone in UK wants to buy new Eisenmann Exhaust feel free to PM). So i still couldn't decide what i want... whether i want it LOUD and NEW (RPi) or i want QUALITY, BRAND NAME and DECENT SOUND (E-race), Meisterschaft was out of the game by that time.

For 2 months i was watching videos of m5's with RPi and E-Race, trying to compare. More or less every single night same videos again again

In the end I decided to go for RPi. Boots convinced me after sending me all the new videos he shot and telling me about his experience with RPi I also did not know whether to go for Resonated center pipes or non-resonated and Boots helped me on choosing that as well

I e-mailed Nerwyll on Friday 30th Aug, before long w/e in US, but i guess i missed him at work, so i had to wait until tuesday, when he gave me a quote for exhaust, we finalized it in a day or so, as he had to speak to RPI and then came THE WAIT... I had a 3-business day delivery option, but RPi had to assemble and pack the exhaust. Mufflers were in stock in main shop, however resonated center pipes were at the other warehouse, so my exhaust has only been shipped on Wednesday early morning (UK time) of next week and arrived Friday mid-day.

We unpacked everything on Friday evening and Saturday daytime we got back to garage and finally installed RPi GTM.

Overall quality is 9 out of 10. One of the reason for it (picture below), as you can see that original bar is not wide enough for RPis exhausts mountings and RPi has not provided with new BAR, they might have forgotten or we did not install it correct way, but there is no other way to install it. Second reason is: the length of how much one tip sticking out further on left pair of tips is 0.8cm different from the right pair of tips. I checked it with a ruler, as we could not put left muffler and right muffler to stick out same distance, trying to calibrate it by RPI print on tips.

Also I am disappointed with the packaging quality, as tips were not protected properly! my left tip of the left pair came with dent (you can barely see it, but if you know it is there, it will make you look there all the time) and scratches on the outside circle of the same tip, but a bit of polish will sort this problem.
Just to compare Eisenmann tips are always protected in big box of styrofoam with holes made for tips
I think this muffler was dropped prior to packaging, as even if it would be poorly packaged and dropped in the box, it would not have a scratch, so someone in warehouse was a SNEAKY BUSTARD, who wanted to get rid of his negligence without paying for it. WELL DONE MATE, you made it. (I did not complain to RPi or Nerwyll, as there is no point getting new muffler and paying for delivery + vat and sending the old one back, paying for delivery.

I dont see my car from behind too often to be anal about it, even though I love my cars to be immaculate and very anal about anything I can notice). Tips are great looking and you cannot see that car does not have mufflers!

The actual welding of RPi I found even better than Eisenmann and the pallet RPi provided instead of OEM is so much cooler!

If someone is interested the actual exhaust comes in 7 pieces: 2 mufflers; 2 connecting pipes between mufflers and center pipes; center pipes; 2 pipes connecting center-pipes with downpipes. There are also 6 brackets provided to make sure all pipes are sitting solid and couple of screws.

4 hours later we have installed it and adjusted and I started my BEAST! No words can describe the LOUDNESS of COLD start, RUMBLING, GURGLING and F**** LOUD CRACKS exhaust did. It changed my car a lot; it was exactly what I was looking for! I was so happy. (My friend should finally send me the video from the first ever cold-start with RPi on my car tomorrow).

We went for a drive and I could not stop smiling! The cracks on the upshifts above 4-5k rpms GTM brings are beautiful. At first I thought it is so loud inside the car, but when exhaust warms out, and you dont push your car, you can still manage to drive in stealth mode if you want to.

I will shoot some videos as soon as my microphone arrives, again BIG thanks to Boots for recommending one!
I have a video where I start my car same night I installed the exhaust in my street at midnight and rev it up to 3.5-4k rpms (dont like to piss off neighbors, as you never you what a surprise you can find on your/done to your car next morning), maybe will upload it as well.

We all know that RPi claims up to 30(if not more) whp gain and it takes good 1-2k miles (again from my knowledge) for ECU to adjust for new airflow/exhaust system. After I have done 120 miles I went for a race with my friend, who has full unresonated E-race on his car (first system sold from Eisenmann for m5 f-10). He has done over 6k miles on exhaust and his car went through TOUGHEST break-in (never waits until engine warms up, always drives in SPORT+ and pedal to the metal mode). We did couple rolling starts from 30/40/50mph to 130+. Every single time after shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, my car was leaving him behind and extending the gap! We tried D3 and S3 and I have done nearly 5k miles more on my tires, so RPi does not f**k around guys! Its the LOUDEST and THE MOST POWER GAINING exhaust.

I have absolutely no drone in my car when I am driving within the limit or better to say not revving it. When you down shift or break hard at the range of 3k to 2k rpms drone shows up (not as dramatic as e-race, which is a heavy storm comparing to this one).

I have done 700 miles with exhaust and I can feel a significant difference in accelerator response, noise is getting louder and deeper. I get a lot of people turning their heads when I pass with FACE, as they dont expect a BMW screaming and shouting, assaulting the streets. A lot of people film my car on the streets and I can see I bring smiles to other people! BUT very important it bring me a BIG smile, every time I start it in the morning, when engine is cold and it welcomes me with a kind of a crack and continuous note of rumbling cold start

To finalize: I could have bought BRAND NEW full E-race with a 20% discount, I could have bought slightly used full E-race nearly half price, both ways I would have saved money comparing to RPi. Do I regret? NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND! It sounds incredible and no one has it here! I highly recommend RPi to every single one of you and videos will be uploaded soon!

PS: I hope I brought some helpful information to at least some of the members in here, as for past 3 months, since I joined this forum I was only gaining info from you guys! It is my first big post, so don't judge me harsh
Attached Images

Last edited by mstmng; 10-19-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Awesome write up. I'm glad I could help you out and now your able to terrorize your neighbors. Lol. Just wait til it breaks in even more. The sound will get deeper. Dave helped me so the trend for rpi gtm moves forward. The more the ECU adapt the stronger it will get. Windows down,foot down don't need no music here bud. When your mic arrives you put on your headphones to listen. I will be able to hear you giggle from here. Again I'm very happy for you and am glad I could help you out. That's what this forum is all about. One goal we all love our cars and this is another satisfied m5/rpi brother. Let the videos begin!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

People helping people. It's beautiful.

Great write up and I enjoyed the story of your decision process. I can't wait for the videos. One reason why I enjoy the setup is because it gives the F10 M5 the sound it was always supposed to have. The section 3 of the GTM makes all the difference. I'm still running full straighpipes with the unresonated RPi GTM and 100% Catless Downpipes and I never get tired of it. I will say that on my long 6,000 mile journey that I completed recently the drone did start to get to me a little and I would always have to keep the revs higher out of the drone range, so it didn't drive me crazy. However, now that I'm not driving my M5 every day again, it's perfectly fine. I am still interested to see what the resonated version of the GTM sounds like though. I'm wondering if it makes a big difference. Please try to post a video from the inside of the cabin, even it is with just an iPhone. I want to hear the rpm band from 1,500rpm to 2,100. This is where the drone is on the F10 M5.

Also, I've got a surprise coming from RPi soon, for all you RPi fans out there. So stay tuned.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

thank you again and enjoy =)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Dave that portion of the rpm is quite as a mouse. You don't know anything is there til you step on it. Ill send you a couple when I get back in town near the end of the month. On another note d, you can drive all day long 80 and not be bothered by the exhaust. Whisper mode

Last edited by boots; 10-10-2013 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

No videos= never happened.....
      10-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
No videos= never happened.....
i was waiting for one of those
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Awesome write up. I'm glad I could help you out and now your able to terrorize your neighbors. Lol. Just wait til it breaks in even more. The sound will get deeper. Dave helped me so the trend for rpi gtm moves forward. The more the ECU adapt the stronger it will get. Windows down,foot down don't need no music here bud. When your mic arrives you put on your headphones to listen. I will be able to hear you giggle from here. Again I'm very happy for you and am glad I could help you out. That's what this forum is all about. One goal we all love our cars and this is another satisfied m5/rpi brother. Let the videos begin!
No music in here, my Beethoven plays according to my foot
thanks for all that help again

more people will be joining us
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
People helping people. It's beautiful.

Great write up and I enjoyed the story of your decision process. I can't wait for the videos. One reason why I enjoy the setup is because it gives the F10 M5 the sound it was always supposed to have. The section 3 of the GTM makes all the difference. I'm still running full straighpipes with the unresonated RPi GTM and 100% Catless Downpipes and I never get tired of it. I will say that on my long 6,000 mile journey that I completed recently the drone did start to get to me a little and I would always have to keep the revs higher out of the drone range, so it didn't drive me crazy. However, now that I'm not driving my M5 every day again, it's perfectly fine. I am still interested to see what the resonated version of the GTM sounds like though. I'm wondering if it makes a big difference. Please try to post a video from the inside of the cabin, even it is with just an iPhone. I want to hear the rpm band from 1,500rpm to 2,100. This is where the drone is on the F10 M5.

Also, I've got a surprise coming from RPi soon, for all you RPi fans out there. So stay tuned.
This drone you getting is just telling you to push your car more, so you don't hear that

Well, ok there is a little drone, depending on the way you brake! i don't remember if i was getting it on m3 or not, but i say there is no drone whatsoever in comparison with e-race! But i would still be able to live with it!

Will try to make videos this w/e!

We all know that you are getting new DP's from RPi! and i am waiting for your write-up on your big trip! I want to do same drive across the states one day!

Last edited by mstmng; 10-11-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Great review and sorry to hear about the shipping mishap. Enjoy. One of these days I will meet up with Boots to hear his system live =).

Last edited by Spinny02; 10-11-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Great review and sorry to hear about the shipping mishap. Enjoy. Once of these days I will meet up with Boots to hear his system live =).
thanks!

you should have done it ALREADY!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Great write up.. those guys over RPI do some amazing work.
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Great review and sorry to hear about the shipping mishap. Enjoy. One of these days I will meet up with Boots to hear his system live =).
I return home on the 22nd. Anytime bud.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #14
AlphaAlpineM6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 & 2012 AMG CLS63

Garage List
how about the craftsmanship?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAlpineM6 View Post
how about the craftsmanship?
very good
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Getting louder right
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Getting louder right
yep

i was driving home now and another m5 was driving pretty hard in front of me with akra (couldn't say by the sound, would say it stock, if wouldn't see it parked the other day around my office with akra on it)

so we stopped at the traffic light, he looks at me i rev it, BANG loud CRACK
guy realised he is driving prius and didn't push it from traffic light
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng
Quote:
Getting louder right
yep

i was driving home now and another m5 was driving pretty hard in front of me with akra (couldn't say by the sound, would say it stock, if wouldn't see it parked the other day around my office with akra on it)

so we stopped at the traffic light, he looks at me i rev it, BANG loud CRACK
guy realised he is driving prius and didn't push it from traffic light
Haha! Those Prius drivers!

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

my iphoto does not want to import pics/videos from my phone for some reason, so i sent it through the email to my laptop and obviously iphone resizes the video... i know it is disgusting quality and you cannot hear GTM screaming at all, as i am not driving WOT - was not allowed to do over 30mph, but i still had a quick go while noone could see

i promise you proper videos soon guys!

Last edited by mstmng; 10-18-2013 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Ha that's funny
Appreciate 0