M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #23
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Your charger may just be a low amperage trickle charger which is taking longer to charge the battery. I think the BMW one is a rebranded Deltran but running at 1.2 amps or so..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 04:37 AM   #24
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynd View Post
Your charger may just be a low amperage trickle charger which is taking longer to charge the battery. I think the BMW one is a rebranded Deltran but running at 1.2 amps or so..
My charger I have is in fact the Detran model that BMW has relabeled, the Battery Tender Plus. My issue is that through two sessions totaling almost 10 hrs- I'm not in "maintenance mode" yet. Having used this charger a lot, this means one of two things

1. The battery was almost completely dead, and wouldn't start the car. (It started fine)
2. The battery is damaged, and can't get to full charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #25
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Give it more charge time G-man
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 03:38 AM   #26
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

i have c-tek 5.0 A, however using the cigaret lighter comfort connect doesn't seem to be working :s

it's to much to open to get to the actual battery
anyone have suggestion?
      03-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #27
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
i have c-tek 5.0 A, however using the cigaret lighter comfort connect doesn't seem to be working :s

it's to much to open to get to the actual battery
anyone have suggestion?

Do NOT use the cigarette lighter comfort connect with ctek and bmw. manual explicitly states not to do this and could cause damage.

You can use the connects under the hood and NOT on the battery itself. Very easy to get to and just use alligator clips. Red (Positive) is under a red plastic cover. If this is M5 and you just opened hood and are looking under it then look towards back left side. Then for negative there is a charging post or bolt towards the front left corner.

Hook the ctek up to these and I let mine run for 24 hours to top off under normal mode but I'm told it is AGM battery so you might want to use snowflake setting on ctek which is specific for AGM if you are going to charge for longer period of time or let trickle
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #28
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

No cigarette charging here, just pure posts under the hood. I might put it on for a good while, just to see what happens... I'm gone Tues-Fri. My beef is that all (a lot) of my batteries charge in some requisite (reasonable) time; this one has not. Concerned...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #29
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Keep in mind, if the battery is discharged too far, these chargers should give you a blinking light as such indicating its not going to charge (or trickle charge).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #30
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I never pulled the screws off and removed the floor in the trunk to manually see if my F10 2013 M5 has an AGM battery or not. Still using this Ctek (link below) which has a "Normal" and "AGM" mode. This charger and trickler is one of the best out there but can't use it to its fullest until sure which mode to leave it on.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TJKFTUSNCNVJFP

Before I start unscrewing everything in the trunk and messing anything up back there, does anyone know if these '13 F10 M5's are indeed AGM? I searched around and still can't find anything definitive and figured maybe somebody here has replaced their battery or dismantled the lower trunk to check so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:30 AM   #31
Volum
Banned
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
does anyone know if these '13 F10 M5's are indeed AGM?

thanks
In EU, yes. In US, don't know.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #32
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod
I never pulled the screws off and removed the floor in the trunk to manually see if my F10 2013 M5 has an AGM battery or not. Still using this Ctek (link below) which has a "Normal" and "AGM" mode. This charger and trickler is one of the best out there but can't use it to its fullest until sure which mode to leave it on.

Before I start unscrewing everything in the trunk and messing anything up back there, does anyone know if these '13 F10 M5's are indeed AGM? I searched around and still can't find anything definitive and figured maybe somebody here has replaced their battery or dismantled the lower trunk to check so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

thanks
thank god for bimmerpost! :-)

I just connected a battery tender since I haven't been able to get out of my driveway for the past 2 months and connected it directly to the battery terminals. will move the clamps to the engine when I get home.

it does look like an agm battery. I will take a pic and post when I can
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #33
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ctek charger.
BMW sells them through their dealerships outside the USA and many dealerships themselves use them on demo floor stock.

Easy to get from places like Amazon..co.uk or .de (or .com for the 120V USA version) and much cheaper than the dealer price.
      02-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #34
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Ctek charger.
BMW sells them through their dealerships outside the USA and many dealerships themselves use them on demo floor stock.

Easy to get from places like Amazon..co.uk or .de (or .com for the 120V USA version) and much cheaper than the dealer price.
Yes I got my Ctek 7002 on Amazon (not at BMW).

This is a MUCH better unit than what BMW and some of the other high end luxury brands sell. Many buy Ctek charges and silkscreen their own logos on them and then mark them up. Normally they don't give you the higher end models which if you go direct to a retailer like Amazon may cost you even less than the dealer for a Ctek model that is 10x better.

I found Ctek when my Ferrari OEM tender went. I called dealer for replacement and found out they wanted over $500 for it! What!!! I did some research on line only to find out it was a Ctek charger (the bottom line model) that costs around 30 bucks! I guess they mark up $500 plus for that Ferrari silkscreen on the top.

So instead of paying $500 plus for a 30 dollar model I got the high end feature rich 7 amp Ctek model for 100 bucks! Figuring I saved money I also bought all the accessories like the LED pigtail and alligator clamps!

Many people don't know that BMW, Lambo, Audi, Alfa, Maserati, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche and others all use Ctek. Most, if not all, put their own brand logos on them and sell the lower end Ctek models at well above market prices!

Chong0 - Look forward to your pic for confirm on the AGM battery! thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #35
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

Sorry guys

can't expose the battery enough to get useful information. pulling up the floor panel only partially exposes the battery enough to put the alligator clips on. There is a brace that also covers the battery.

only info I can tell you is the battery is made by varta.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #36
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I got my Ctek 7002 on Amazon (not at BMW).

This is a MUCH better unit than what BMW and some of the other high end luxury brands sell. Many buy Ctek charges and silkscreen their own logos on them and then mark them up. Normally they don't give you the higher end models which if you go direct to a retailer like Amazon may cost you even less than the dealer for a Ctek model that is 10x better.

I found Ctek when my Ferrari OEM tender went. I called dealer for replacement and found out they wanted over $500 for it! What!!! I did some research on line only to find out it was a Ctek charger (the bottom line model) that costs around 30 bucks! I guess they mark up $500 plus for that Ferrari silkscreen on the top.

So instead of paying $500 plus for a 30 dollar model I got the high end feature rich 7 amp Ctek model for 100 bucks! Figuring I saved money I also bought all the accessories like the LED pigtail and alligator clamps!

Many people don't know that BMW, Lambo, Audi, Alfa, Maserati, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche and others all use Ctek. Most, if not all, put their own brand logos on them and sell the lower end Ctek models at well above market prices!

Chong0 - Look forward to your pic for confirm on the AGM battery! thanks!!!
I beg to differ. The BMW "logo'd" trickle charger is a Deltran.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #37
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
Sorry guys

can't expose the battery enough to get useful information. pulling up the floor panel only partially exposes the battery enough to put the alligator clips on. There is a brace that also covers the battery.

only info I can tell you is the battery is made by varta.
Thanks for checking. I will see if Varta makes both AGM and standard. If only AGM we have our answer!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #38
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageMan View Post
I beg to differ. The BMW "logo'd" trickle charger is a Deltran.
You may be right but I thought I read somebody had posted the BMW charger (maybe an older or newer one?) was Ctek. Even Ctek's website shows BMW as one of their customers.

http://smartercharger.com/

You can see clearly this charger is Ctek and has BMW logo on it:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #39
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FYI: new ctek charger:

CTEK Multi US 4.3
CTEK MUS 4.3

The MUS 4.3 (Part No. 56-864) is a charger that offers state of the art technology that was previously only found in CTEK’s professional product range. The charger can solve a broad range of battery-related problems and is the perfect charger for those with high demands. The MUS 4.3 offers features such as battery diagnosis that shows if a battery can receive and retain a charge, a special reconditioning function that restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, a mode for optimized charging during cold winter days and the charging of demanding AGM batteries (i.e. Optima). The unique display allows the user to follow the entire charging process.

The MUS 4.3 is a fully automatic 8-step charger that delivers selectable 0.8 A or 4.3 A to 12 V batteries from 1.2–110 Ah and is suitable for maintenance charging up to 160 Ah. The charger is splash and dust proof, designed to protect vehicle electronics and non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof. It is delivered with a 5-year warranty.

$84.99
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #40
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettt View Post
FYI: new ctek charger:

CTEK Multi US 4.3
CTEK MUS 4.3

The MUS 4.3 (Part No. 56-864) is a charger that offers state of the art technology that was previously only found in CTEK’s professional product range. The charger can solve a broad range of battery-related problems and is the perfect charger for those with high demands. The MUS 4.3 offers features such as battery diagnosis that shows if a battery can receive and retain a charge, a special reconditioning function that restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, a mode for optimized charging during cold winter days and the charging of demanding AGM batteries (i.e. Optima). The unique display allows the user to follow the entire charging process.

The MUS 4.3 is a fully automatic 8-step charger that delivers selectable 0.8 A or 4.3 A to 12 V batteries from 1.2–110 Ah and is suitable for maintenance charging up to 160 Ah. The charger is splash and dust proof, designed to protect vehicle electronics and non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof. It is delivered with a 5-year warranty.

$84.99
The 4.3 I am pretty sure has been around for years. Even amazon shows it as first available in November 2011. I am just confused why you posted it was a new ctek charger? Take a look

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...GQN7QZBVBRBI7R

Anyway, it is also a great charger choice. It just has a lower charge rate than the 7002 which is 7amps versus this ones 4.3A. Amazon show a price on this for $67
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #41
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 4.3 I am pretty sure has been around for years. Even amazon shows it as first available in November 2011. I am just confused why you posted it was a new ctek charger? Take a look

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...GQN7QZBVBRBI7R

Anyway, it is also a great charger choice. It just has a lower charge rate than the 7002 which is 7amps versus this ones 4.3A. Amazon show a price on this for $67
yeh sorry.
guess it has been out for a few years...saw new symbol on their website and thought they updated it
the price show was from their website but amazon beats it

Last edited by bobafettt; 02-27-2015 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #42
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You may be right but I thought I read somebody had posted the BMW charger (maybe an older or newer one?) was Ctek. Even Ctek's website shows BMW as one of their customers.

http://smartercharger.com/

You can see clearly this charger is Ctek and has BMW logo on it:
This isn't the one I've seen sold here. The one I've seen is a Deltran Battery Tender Plus with BMW screened on the front....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 12:42 AM   #43
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is the one I see advertised in their accessories catalog. It is a Deltran.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #44
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Has anyone set this up using the the eyelet "permanent" connections as opposed to the clips? If so, how do you loosen the positive and negative posts to attach the wires?
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0