M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
Bottch77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition, McLaren 12C

Tire help and questions

I'm looking to change the rear tires to a "stickier" compound. I'd like to get out of the dig a little better. I'm looking into "street slicks". Here is what I've found:

Nitto NT05R-
I've read a few others on the forum using these. They might be the regular NT05's where there is no load or size problems (my questions are on the NT05R's):

The 20" size is a 315 (too big for the stock wheel). I love the OEM 343's so if I went aftermarket to a 19" wheel the load rating is 1,477lbs for a 305/35.

We have a heavy car! The oem Michelin PSS have a load rating of 1,819lbs. I'm thinking playing it safe and staying around here. Therefore, it looks like the NT05R's are a no go for me (load rating is too low on the 19's and 20's are too big for the rim) ???? Thoughts?

Nitto NT555R-
305/35/20 load rating 1,984lbs (exceeds the oem PSS's). No 19" tire available for the NT555R. Anyone run into trouble running a 35 in the back? Any rubbing?

Did I mention my car is lowered? Dinan coil overs.

Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial-
305/35/20. I can't seem to find any information on the load ratings... Also, is this more of a street tire than a street legal drag radial? And again, same question on rubbing with a 35.

Any other suggestions? I've looked at a few others: Toyo R888R etc and the size is not what I'm looking for. I'd like to put a 305 on.

Ideas? Thoughts? Feedback?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Bottch77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition, McLaren 12C

Let me rephrase:

Is anyone running a 35 aspect ratio (height) tire in the rear with stock 20" wheels? If so, any rubbing or fitment issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottch77
Let me rephrase:

Is anyone running a 35 aspect ratio (height) tire in the rear with stock 20" wheels? If so, any rubbing or fitment issues?
I ran MT 305/35 20 DR on stock wheels with no spacers and had no issues with rubbing anything. The issue I had right away was what I'm calling "confusing the speed sensors." Meaning the car would hesitate when using partial throttle accelerating to pass on the highway. Ex: 50-70. Sometimes I'd press the gas and the car would literally start to slowdown. Depressing the accelerator further and the car would accelerate although faster than I wanted. Flooring the accelerator seemed to behave normally.

I bought a set of the standard stock 19s and now run a MT 305/35 19. Less issues with part throttle acceleration but I can tell it's not quite right. Putting the stock wheels/tires back on and instantly the problem goes away. Btw, the MT DRs are some seriously sticky tires that will still let you drive to/from the track.

What I suspect is that there is a very close tolerance for speed differences between front and rear wheels. BMW seems to have not accounted for larger rear wheels that would then turn "slower" than the front wheels.

I'm currently thinking about going one size up when my PS2s wear out in another 5k miles. I'm thinking I'll go with 305/30 20 and 275/35 20 up front.

Morale of the story, make sure your wheels/tires are as close to the same ratio as the stock setup or you could have problems. -just my .02¢
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
SCM513
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottch77
Let me rephrase:

I ran MT 305/35 20 DR on stock wheels with no spacers and had no issues with rubbing anything. The issue I had right away was what I'm calling "confusing the speed sensors." Meaning the car would hesitate when using partial throttle accelerating to pass on the highway. Ex: 50-70. Sometimes I'd press the gas and the car would literally start to slowdown. Depressing the accelerator further and the car would accelerate although faster than I wanted. Flooring the accelerator seemed to behave normally.

I bought a set of the standard stock 19s and now run a MT 305/35 19. Less issues with part throttle acceleration but I can tell it's not quite right. Putting the stock wheels/tires back on and instantly the problem goes away. Btw, the MT DRs are some seriously sticky tires that will still let you drive to/from the track.

What I suspect is that there is a very close tolerance for speed differences between front and rear wheels. BMW seems to have not accounted for larger rear wheels that would then turn "slower" than the front wheels.

I'm currently thinking about going one size up when my PS2s wear out in another 5k miles. I'm thinking I'll go with 305/30 20 and 275/35 20 up front.

Morale of the story, make sure your wheels/tires are as close to the same ratio as the stock setup or you could have problems. -just my .02¢
is your car dct? I want to throw some MT but I want to have matching wheels I found some replicas in 19"'s but they are 19X9.5 so won't work with them and then I could get the 20"'s but am concerned with what your saying that was happening with your throttle and acceleration . The only difference is I have a 6mt so I want to say I wouldn't have problem I hope. which work better 19's or 20's??
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Yes I've got the DCT. My guess is you'd have the same issue. Also the 305/35/20 is tall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0