M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #1
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

Coilover Questions

I had Dinan coilovers installed back in December and have had alignment issues ever since. The vehicle has been aligned four times (at two different dealers) but the vehicle still pulls to the right...I've had many BMWs and understand that they all drift right as a safety measure but this is more extreme. When letting go of the steering wheel, it will physically turn 2-3 degrees to the right and the car takes off in that direction.

The second dealer and I inspected the coilovers and noticed that while the vehicle ride height is even side-to-side, the spring seat (the adjustable component) on the coilovers is at a significantly different setting from one side to the other. For example, the spring seat on the right side of the vehicle is at least one inch lower than the spring seat on the left...yet the vehicle sits even...

This issue is driving me nuts and making me wish I never had the coilovers installed. I honestly believe its more of an install issue than an alignment issue because the dealers keep getting the vehicle in spec but the issue remains. The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps it's a result of the Dinan alignment recommendations vs. stock. I'm taking it back to the dealer today...any thoughts or suggestions on how to resolve?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90076 View Post
The second dealer and I inspected the coilovers and noticed that while the vehicle ride height is even side-to-side, the spring seat (the adjustable component) on the coilovers is at a significantly different setting from one side to the other. For example, the spring seat on the right side of the vehicle is at least one inch lower than the spring seat on the left...yet the vehicle sits even...

I honestly believe its more of an install issue than an alignment issue because the dealers keep getting the vehicle in spec but the issue remains. I'm taking it back to the dealer today...any thoughts or suggestions on how to resolve?
Perhaps disconnect the sway bar from the shock absorber brackets on both sides and you'll find that the side with the lower spring perch will not remain even with the opposite side? A one inch difference in perch height can't be correct. The dealerships didn't try that?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Agree with above. It's possible they tightened the sway bars before loading the car. If the perches are not aligned this will cause one side to be overloaded.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Sounds very much like an install issue to me.
      03-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. The service manager advised me that it did not concern him that the perch heights were different... He explained that he believes the issue can be resolved with the assistance of corner weights.

I'm going to see if the dealer and Dinan can speak and hopefully resolve together.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. The service manager advised me that it did not concern him that the perch heights were different... He explained that he believes the issue can be resolved with the assistance of corner weights.
Is this the service manager who is responsible for the installation of the coil overs? He is unquestionably wrong about the perch heights! One inch of perch height difference from one side of the car to the other on the same axle is not appropriate. I would take his advice with much skepticism. Good luck. Is he unwilling to disconnect the sway bar to see if the ride height changes on the one side? Something isn't right with this situation...... The only possibility for the perch height difference to actually be correct is if Dinan sent you springs that aren't matched for some reason. Highly unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be
Quote:
Is this the service manager who is responsible for the installation of the coil overs? He is unquestionably wrong about the perch heights! One inch of perch height difference from one side of the car to the other on the same axle is not appropriate. I would take his advice with much skepticism. Good luck. Is he unwilling to disconnect the sway bar to see if the ride height changes on the one side? Something isn't right with this situation...... The only possibility for the perch height difference to actually be correct is if Dinan sent you springs that aren't matched for some reason. Highly unlikely.
Yes, it is the same manager...

Thanks for the insight - I think I'm going to have to get Dinan involved...this is getting very frustrating and is beginning to negate all of the warranty gains Dinan offers. I would have preferred to have a speed shop do the install that is more familiar with this type of work.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

What ultimately came of this? Can you offer a review of the coilovers overall? Thanks.
Appreciate 0