BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Drove a C63 AMG ...

... with the performance pack, and I know the car is in a different category than the M5, but I have to say it was very impressive. Once you get past the slightly lower rent interior, and a miniscule screen, it is a very impressive car. The engine noise, and the responsiveness (with no 'lag' !), was truly impressive. Even the steering felt like it gave more feedback than my M.

I am tempted.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
... with the performance pack, and I know the car is in a different category than the M5, but I have to say it was very impressive. Once you get past the slightly lower rent interior, and a miniscule screen, it is a very impressive car. The engine noise, and the responsiveness (with no 'lag' !), was truly impressive. Even the steering felt like it gave more feedback than my M.

I am tempted.

Imagine if you drove the Black Series version... its even faster and handles better. But the screen is the same

You are so right about the sound. The M156 engine produces an incredible stock note no doubt. Ive never owned a "regular" C63 so my opinion and experience lies with the top of the line option but I have driven many a standard and P31 optioned C63 (Perf Pack) and they are impressive.

But its a different animal (normal C63) and its direct competitor is the M3 and probably the RS5; not so much the F10 M5.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
TC M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTS,458italia, '14RR Ghost

I have a C63 edition 1 and its a fantastic car. Try driving with the rear seats folded, the sound of the exhaust becomes even more noticeable
      07-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

+1

Much love for the C63... especially the Black Series.

The smooth power delivery and intoxicating sounds are quite... intoxicating.

The interior isn't low rent when compared against an M3. As Vic said, its competitor isn't the M5/M6.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern
+1

The interior isn't low rent when compared against an M3. As Vic said, its competitor isn't the M5/M6.
Had a 2009 with p30 and a mild tune. Purchased new and replaced it just recently with an M3 as our third car.

Pros:
Exhaust note
Intoxicating Torque

Cons
Interior
Can't believe they sell this car without LSD as standard. it is an add on.P31 package does not include it.

Great car around town for us...small enough and comfortable for short drives. Competition against M5..nope but great car non the less
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
TC M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTS,458italia, '14RR Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern
+1

Had a 2009 with p30 and a mild tune. Purchased new and replaced it just recently with an M3 as our third car.

Pros:
Exhaust note
Intoxicating Torque

Cons
Interior
Can't believe they sell this car without LSD as standard. it is an add on.P31 package does not include it.

Great car around town for us...small enough and comfortable for short drives. Competition against M5..nope but great car non the less
Agree completely it's ridiculous why Mercedes sell most amgs without LSD being standard like the M's.
      07-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC M3 View Post
Agree completely it's ridiculous why Mercedes sell most amgs without LSD being standard like the M's.

and when they option it out- its a weak sauce 30% lock up (had it on my 2012 CLS63 and 2012 E63 Wagon) but the Black Series gets a 60% lockup and 50% lockup on downshifts: impressive.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC M3 View Post
Everybody does it though. All these companys today love to nickel and dime the consumers.

- Audi R8 V10 Plus (550hp): They charge you for the "optional" new DCT transmission.

- 2014 M5/M6: They charge for the Competition Package, which should come standard.

- Porsche: They almost charge you for wanting cupholders.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
j1sd
Rep
Drives: M5

I came out of a C63 to the M5. Totally different animals, it depends on what you are looking for. The exhaust note is one of the best out there and the car handles well. However, it has a poor quality interior, loud (highway noise), no manual option, etc.

The M5 is just more refined and can be converted to a sports sedan with a push of a button. M5 masquerades well as a comfortable car for those nights out with the wife and client meetings. I am really loving the choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Everybody does it though. All these companys today love to nickel and dime the consumers.

- Audi R8 V10 Plus (550hp): They charge you for the "optional" new DCT transmission.

- 2014 M5/M6: They charge for the Competition Package, which should come standard.

- Porsche: They almost charge you for wanting cupholders.

Marketing at its finest- if it didnt work they wouldnt do it. From an end user I can see the frustration but from the manufacturer side it seems to be working. MBZ has been selling a performance style pack for years and it works. Hell Im guilty of buying into a 7k msrp add that got me more hp/tq, upgraded dampeners, steering wheel, carbon fiber covers, painted calipers... and it was worth it to me. The hp and tq gains alone with the suspension was a good bump.

Porsche always charges for everything- the PDK alone is over 4k. Their Power Kit is bonkers price wise. Porsche addendums would drive most members here (who have never bought a new Porsche) to cocaine- if not already being snorted. MSRP on my C4S was 105k- with adds it ended up at 133k plus. And I love it!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Went to the Porsche dealers today, to see about a new GT3. I sat in a Carrera 2S with electric sports seats, and i felt uncomfortable straight away. The front of the seat base was too high, with no adjustment to lower it, so i pointed this out. Oh, you will need the fully adaptive seats to be comfortable sir, thats another £1700. So to get the correct position, i needed to spend another £1700. Got onto the thorney subject of financing the deal. All i can say is, i walked away from Porsche thinking, greedy, greedy so and so`s. From the price of the options, to their finance prices. But im a nobody, and they would not be bothered to get my business. My M5 felt all the sweeter on the way home, especially flat out in 2nd gear, into 3rd bang, gone. Sorry Porsche, no deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Went to the Porsche dealers today, to see about a new GT3. I sat in a Carrera 2S with electric sports seats, and i felt uncomfortable straight away. The front of the seat base was too high, with no adjustment to lower it, so i pointed this out. Oh, you will need the fully adaptive seats to be comfortable sir, thats another £1700. So to get the correct position, i needed to spend another £1700. Got onto the thorney subject of financing the deal. All i can say is, i walked away from Porsche thinking, greedy, greedy so and so`s. From the price of the options, to their finance prices. But im a nobody, and they would not be bothered to get my business. My M5 felt all the sweeter on the way home, especially flat out in 2nd gear, into 3rd bang, gone. Sorry Porsche, no deal.
Hi Simon I have tried in the past to deal with various Porsche outlets NONE of them offer half decent Part exchange prices and they really are unhelpful, it's almost like they are doing you a favour selling you a car.
As for discounts well thats a four letter word for them.

They can stick porsche cars as far as i am concerned.
      07-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Hi Simon I have tried in the past to deal with various Porsche outlets NONE of them offer half decent Part exchange prices and they really are unhelpful, it's almost like they are doing you a favour selling you a car.

Hello John,
Have to agree with you. The seat story was just part of the niggles. Everything seemed their way, and i could either like it, or lump it. I have bought new Porsche in the past, and had a bitter aftertaste in my mouth then, so i guess im just older and wiser now, and know when to stop, and today was such a day. The GT3 is a fantastic product, but they can keep it. My M5 had £12k discount, and 0% finance, which was superb, with a capital "F". And anyway, the M5 is just superb.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hello John,
Have to agree with you. The seat story was just part of the niggles. Everything seemed their way, and i could either like it, or lump it. I have bought new Porsche in the past, and had a bitter aftertaste in my mouth then, so i guess im just older and wiser now, and know when to stop, and today was such a day. The GT3 is a fantastic product, but they can keep it. My M5 had £12k discount, and 0% finance, which was superb, with a capital "F". And anyway, the M5 is just superb.
And the F10 M5 is faster than that silly looking Porsche Panamera Turbo S anyways. Plus, add the Competition Package and it's not even a contest any more.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Drove one before, the sound is absolutely brutal. Could not get past the interior and looks though. I went to check out a coupe but it just isn't agressive enough for me. If I got one It would have to be a black.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Also, go try to build a C63 Amg on the configurator. I guarantee it will come up at 75-80k, Im pretty lenient when it comes to options. But, the way they set those things up theres no way you can get one unless its over 75k, which Then I might as well get an M5.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Had one try to run me today on the highway. There was some traffic and he was taking unnecessary risks. So I really couldn't run him. I let him keep acting stupid. Sounds like it carries some exhaust rumble.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
So beat me over the head ( i am a big Porsche fanboy)... but this race was not accurate. They should be close to even so maybe driver error?? They both have the same 1/4 mile and the Turbo S has some insane power for such a large car. You guys are correct the car is not all that great looking (at least in my eyes... thats my i am getting an M5).

Thoughts on if that was a fair race? Looks like the M5 may have had a bit of a lead and the P-Car driver cold not drive very well? OR THE M5 had some mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
And the F10 M5 is faster than that silly looking Porsche Panamera Turbo S anyways. Plus, add the Competition Package and it's not even a contest any more.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
So beat me over the head ( i am a big Porsche fanboy)... but this race was not accurate. They should be close to even so maybe driver error?? They both have the same 1/4 mile and the Turbo S has some insane power for such a large car. You guys are correct the car is not all that great looking (at least in my eyes... thats my i am getting an M5).

Thoughts on if that was a fair race? Looks like the M5 may have had a bit of a lead and the P-Car driver cold not drive very well? OR THE M5 had some mods.

Im Pcar FB too---- the AWD and weight of that Pany slows it down from a roll no doubt. Its traction advantage is from a dig but most tests show the M5 just as fast, if not faster, in the quarter mile after it gets going (mph wise).

From a dig the Pany would crush the M5 in daily repetitive runs.

I dont find it ugly, i find it different- look a reasonably good looking red head with less than normal freckle content: A minor diamond in the rough.

Keep the rear spoiler up at all times though
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Drove one before, the sound is absolutely brutal. Could not get past the interior and looks though. I went to check out a coupe but it just isn't agressive enough for me. If I got one It would have to be a black.
I drove one also, mercedes interior quality was poor and the looks .

I just love the M5,best value for money end off.
      07-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #21
AM47
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5,X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post

In reading your post I chuckled to myself as the Porsche buying experience is not limited to the UK.
In Canada they definitely acted as if they were doing me a favour, first treated me as if I should not be in their showroom.

My car buying and service experience with BMW is far better, no comparison

Don
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM47 View Post
In reading your post I chuckled to myself as the Porsche buying experience is not limited to the UK.
In Canada they definitely acted as if they were doing me a favour, first treated me as if I should not be in their showroom.

My car buying and service experience with BMW is far better, no comparison

Don
Hi Don, I had a "supposed Mate" working at Porsche Norwich (before them moved to Cambridge) at the time I was interested in the Cayenne, I had the 928GTS 1995 model as a weekend car, anyway this guy offered be "below bottom book" on my F10 550i M Sport in Mint condition
Needless to say he was told were to go.
He kept phoning for about a week thinking I would change my mind, in the end I was very rude and told him to stick his deal up his A*se.