M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #45
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG7 View Post
Not intending to bash Dinan. I never would have dropped 7K on upgrades if i did not have a good understanding and sincere respect for the company's philosophy and track record..
My personal experience with the software upgrade is very real. Per Dinan, the diffence should be 'night and day".. Something is not right. They evidently agree. I just heard from the dealership and they will re-flash it tomorrow. Dealership and Dinan have been very helpful through this mini-oreal.

I get back from a trip Monday and will put up a post Tuesday night. Will re-dyno the car at HP Logic in West Palm and will post results when I have them.

We agree on the exhaust note. Thanks for the tip on how to wake it up.

Finally, I didn't post an introduction b/c I wasn't sure anyone cared..

My name is Josh. I am a convert from Audi. Last car was an Audi RS5 with the Stasis Challenge suspension, stasis wheel package and a full milltek exhaust. Switched to the M5 b/c I prefer RWD and manual transmission. I am in love with this car.

This is my first foray into any forum.
Grateful for your input. Hope I clarified.

OK, well give us some car pics if you don't mind. I would suggest doing Stage 2 because it's more HP and it may be more noticeable on a day to day driving basis. That being said, I can't really notice the difference unless I am in a position to really push the car and then the biggest difference is over 100mph. My car is really a lot faster from 120 to limiter now but unfortunately, BMW won't let me appreciate the real gains the Dinan tune gives us.

It's very hard to use the power on the low end because of the RWD aspect of the car. I love the car but I recently added a 991 TTS because I wanted to run faster ETs in the quarter and I got that. I am going to start the modding process on my 991 in another month or so.

If you are interested, here are the threads describing my experience with modding the M5.

Initial Results with Noelle DPs and Dinan Stage 2

Dinan Stage 2 and CAI on Order

Noelle DPs arrived, pics here
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #46
JMG7
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP 6MT

Difference in HP gains are subtle between Stage I and Stage II. Also with the addition of DP's. Yet you claim a noticeable difference. The purported gains from stock to Stage 1 are close to 90 HP and should be noticeable even at the low-end. Not for me. I went for the big bang-for-the-buck (with stage 1 vs DP's/exhaust tweak alone) B/C of my driving style and intermediate driving acumen. I'll reiterate that I think something's amiss with the software install. We shall see.
Again, thanks for your input.
2 lame pics posted. More to follow.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #47
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Difference in HP gains are subtle between Stage I and Stage II. Also with the addition of DP's. Yet you claim a noticeable difference. The purported gains from stock to Stage 1 are close to 90 HP and should be noticeable even at the low-end. Not for me. I went for the big bang-for-the-buck (with stage 1 vs DP's/exhaust tweak alone) B/C of my driving style and intermediate driving acumen. I'll reiterate that I think something's amiss with the software install. We shall see.
Again, thanks for your input.
2 lame pics posted. More to follow.
OK, it could be that it's just not working, that did happen to mine after they made a change to the airbox. Later that got fixed by replacing the DTronics module and the better performance returned. I claimed and documented a difference from stock to Stage 2 and Stage 2 to Stage 2 plus DPs. I posted Vbox numbers for all of it. I think some of them are on another thread. Right here is where I posted the first runs before the airbox got fixed and the car was straight Stage 2. When I ran against boots the DTronics had quit working. They swapped it out after I got the down pipes in and the the vbox results of that are here.

I still need to take it out to the better road that is flat and smooth and 1 mile long. Then I think I will get even better results.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 09-11-2014 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #48
JMG7
United_States
Rep

No install today. Has to wait until next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #49
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

My first Dtronics ECU was bad in the box. Had to get a new computer from Dinan.
The software needs some drive time to fully adapt but, you should feel the initial improvement right away.
The Dinan tune does work. I removed my BMS tune for Dinan and I am very happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #50
MFIZZLENYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10m5

Got the dinantronics tune installed fri and had a full day of driving today
You can feel the changes right away but the more you drive and let it adapt it gets faster

I ran a 12.38 119 stock I will be back at the track in a few weeks so far the butt dyno thinks mid 11s very happy for just stage 1 tune not to mention the warranty so no worries
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #51
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFIZZLENYC View Post

I ran a 12.38 119 stock I will be back at the track in a few weeks so far the butt dyno thinks mid 11s very happy for just stage 1 tune not to mention the warranty so no worries
its all about how you hook it as a driver. Especially with this power.. You might actually see times decrease if you can't hook the 60ft.

either way glad someone who got it installed instantly saw a difference and didn't get a broken unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #52
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Let us know the new 1/4 mile times
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #53
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Looks like Dinan has lowered the cost of both stage 1 and stage 2.
      09-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #54
JMG7
United_States
Rep

Update

Its official, the original install did not take. In addition, one of the air intakes was registering a fault which may have been cutting power. After a long day, the stage I software was installed today and the difference was there as I was pulling out of the dealership. The car sounded meaner. The low end torque is impossible not to recognize. Big difference with the stage I tune I happily attest. I am still grinning from my drive home. Can't wait to drive tomorrow.. What a drama though.
I realize we are operating at a very high end - where drama happens quickly and easily. Given the stratosphere (and the fact that we are talking about cars, not SYRIA) I excuse Dinan and the dealership. They made it right and thats what matters to me.

Pre and post Dyno pics to follow.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #55
MFIZZLENYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10m5

Quote:
Its official, the original install did not take. In addition, one of the air intakes was registering a fault which may have been cutting power. After a long day, the stage I software was installed today and the difference was there as I was pulling out of the dealership. The car sounded meaner. The low end torque is impossible not to recognize. Big difference with the stage I tune I happily attest. I am still grinning from my drive home. Can't wait to drive tomorrow.. What a drama though.
I realize we are operating at a very high end - where drama happens quickly and easily. Given the stratosphere (and the fact that we are talking about cars, not SYRIA) I excuse Dinan and the dealership. They made it right and thats what matters to me.

Sweet !

Install is very important things happen... Glad you got it resolved also take off traction completely just be careful the mdm I normally drive around with nannys the car I turned off traction completely it was 100%
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #56
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG7

Jmg7 do you have the comp pack ? My car is also throwing a mass air filter code. Should have it back at 100% by Friday.
      09-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #57
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

We are glad you are now satisfied with your purchase. Sorry it took a bit to get sorted out but we will always do our best to resolve whatever issue may arise. That said if you ever have any other issues going forward don't hesitate to give us a call. Looking forward to independent dyno's / experiences as well as that's typically what people really judge a product on. It's one thing for the manufacturer to say things its another for it to be verified by an outside party.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #58
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

How much different is Dinan tune from BMS. They are both piggybacks right?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #59
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

@ dinan. We will have some side by side runs this Sunday between me and both john and William.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #60
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
@ dinan. We will have some side by side runs this Sunday between me and both john and William.
DINAN VS BMS?

John n William will be on which tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #61
JMG7
United_States
Rep

Yes I do have the Competition Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #62
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym3100k View Post
DINAN VS BMS?

John n William will be on which tune?
We have Dinan, boots has BMS and RPI catless DPs.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #63
Andym3100k
Captain
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC FULL HAMMAN WIDE BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
We have Dinan, boots has BMS and RPI catless DPs.
Perfect, finally get to see both in action together.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #64
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Sounds like a good time. I assume all conscious effort will be made to have a like test with same octane and everything as you 3 have been pretty clinical in your trials thus far but thought I should at least note that. Also, Boots, if you get a chance to drive or ride in John or William's car I would encourage you to do so as well so you can compare the "feel". Otherwise be safe and all of that jazz.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #65
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Guys, why do we think so many dinan piggybacks for our F10 M5 have needed to be replaced ?

Is this a hardware or installation problem or is Dinan bumping up the boost on those cars to satisfy the consumer?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #66
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD
Guys, why do we think so many dinan piggybacks for our F10 M5 have needed to be replaced ?

Is this a hardware or installation problem or is Dinan bumping up the boost on those cars to satisfy the consumer?
My ///M was the r&d car for our cp's so it was/ is to be expected on my part. I know Steve and his team worked hard on my car and did do a good bit of test driving. For my issue it seems to throw a cel during very low/small pedal inputs. They did not see that when my car was in CA. They have been great to deal with and quick to work with my dealership on a path forward.