M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
335ihope
Rep
Drives: bus pass

"Long-term" F10 owners - are you still in love?

Just wondering how "long-term" owners feel about their cars, after 1+ years of owning it? I recently test drove an F10 and it was undoubtedly the fastest car I've ever driven. I'm just wondering if this is a car that is easy to get bored of? You can only slam the gas from stoplight to stoplight so many times before the thrill wears off.

Reason I ask is because I'm considering a lease, which is a 3-4 year commitment depending on what lease I opt for. Another option is the 991 (non-S). The issue is that I drove the M5 first and I highly doubt a 991 with 210 less horsepower is going to wow me.

I've had torque monsters in the past and the thrill did indeed wear off. I'm just wondering if the M5 offers more in terms of satisfaction to its owners. I'm not trying to discredit the car at all either... it was without a doubt the greatest performing car I've ever driven and 1 day later I am still smitten and can't stop thinking about it.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
FLOMACKS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

I love mine. Seems to come down to how much you value the comfort of the F10. We've seen a lot of people get bored and move over to the 911 looking for the raw sporty experience. Read all the "dark side" threads.

I did 5 or 6- 911 test drives over the last three months. It's the comfort/overall package that kept me from going over. That and I can only have one car...
2015 S63AMG Sedan
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

If you like to drive fast the M5 is for you . If your scared to go beyond the limits get the 991.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Only had my LCI since 1st September covered 2500 miles enjoy driving the car every day I can so far, but I could not keep it 3/4 years
I like change to much, another M5 upgraded in two years or so maybe.
It's the best all round new car I have owned and I've had a lot.
      10-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Roders21
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

almost a year with the F10

I love my F10 M5.
I can easily dumb it down for the daily commute, refined, comfortable, quiet and sophisticated. Then, with a single button, turn it into a real sports car. Fast, responsive, tight and great road feel.
The brakes are not up to par with the performance, but everything else is.
I do not have the oil burn issues some others post, and after ~8K miles, it has taken 1qt in 4K. Am at 14K miles now.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Only had my LCI since 1st September covered 2500 miles enjoy driving the car every day I can so far, but I could not keep it 3/4 years
I like change to much, another M5 upgraded in two years or so maybe.
It's the best all round new car I have owned and I've had a lot.
You may get several reviews on this topic a sit was fairly interesting. First I have owned my M5 since last September ED, and I absoutley love the car on the torque is unreal. However , it's a very comfortable car to drive. I really learned how to drive the car at M school which you get the experience to drive all the M cars, and then I felt the weight of the car around the turns. However, for a high performance 4 door it wins hands down.

Last May I purchased a 911S, and a totally different car but a joy to drive daily. First time Porsche owner I will say it will not be my last. The 911 is a high revving car, and you have to learn how to drive it to really enjoy what it does. If you don't need a 4 door I would say hands down get the Porsche. If you need flexibility get the M5 hands down a performer. The new 991 is one of the sexist cars around in my opinion, and takes corners like nothing I have driven while being fun to drive. Now to add a twist if the GC was out when I purchased the M5 ...........I would have purchased the GC because it's a nice looking car all around. For now I will keep the M5 until the next GEN is out vs. trading for the same performance. After 7 BMW's, and getting a Porsche I have found Porsche build quality to be top notch and you can tell the difference. All in all I enjoy both as they serve different purposes by far. I do find myself driving the Porsche more because of the fun factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
You may get several reviews on this topic a sit was fairly interesting. First I have owned my M5 since last September ED, and I absoutley love the car on the torque is unreal. However , it's a very comfortable car to drive. I really learned how to drive the car at M school which you get the experience to drive all the M cars, and then I felt the weight of the car around the turns. However, for a high performance 4 door it wins hands down.

Last May I purchased a 911S, and a totally different car but a joy to drive daily. First time Porsche owner I will say it will not be my last. The 911 is a high revving car, and you have to learn how to drive it to really enjoy what it does. If you don't need a 4 door I would say hands down get the Porsche. If you need flexibility get the M5 hands down a performer. The new 991 is one of the sexist cars around in my opinion, and takes corners like nothing I have driven while being fun to drive. Now to add a twist if the GC was out when I purchased the M5 ...........I would have purchased the GC because it's a nice looking car all around. For now I will keep the M5 until the next GEN is out vs. trading for the same performance. After 7 BMW's, and getting a Porsche I have found Porsche build quality to be top notch and you can tell the difference. All in all I enjoy both as they serve different purposes by far. I do find myself driving the Porsche more because of the fun factor.
Sorry John the reply was for 335ihope.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
If you like to drive fast the M5 is for you . If your scared to go beyond the limits get the 991.
Really? Which has a higher top speed?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
I think he was referring to acceleration.

No I haven't gotten tired of the M5. I nearly negotiated a deal on a 991 Carrera S, but couldn't see myself driving one in the end. I test drove the car 3 times, and on all 3 times it was superb. But I think as an overall package, I was left wanting more. I drove away in my M5 and didn't regret not buying the Porsche. It handled amazingly, had a ridiculous amount of options, and had that Porsche build quality we've come to expect. What held me back was the M5s versatility, subtlety, and power Also, it didn't help that I drove a GT3 RS..that is truly the only 911 I would consider selling my M5 for. In the end, you have to drive both the 911 and M5 back to back and see which one gave you a bigger grin for longer. Here is the one that I almost pulled the trigger on, was a really gorgeous car. (and had the best launch control ever, wow)

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
With the delimiter removed on the M5 it should be pushing 200MPH+. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 991 is already delimited from factory with a top speed of 187? Plus the M5 will get their much faster. Acceleration wise it should blow it out the water. With some simple bolt ons it will be even worse (without tune).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Still love the M5. I'm toying with the idea of getting a Carrera S but I wouldn't consider it a substitute. If I had to choose only one it's the M5. 911 is a nice toy to have on the side but wouldn't want to drive it every day.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Sorry John the reply was for 335ihope.
Enjoyed your views on the two cars.
      10-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

14K miles and 14 months. Still love the car. Have thought about others like the 991 but the compromises aren't worth the minimal gains in very few areas. Decision reinforced when the wife mentions when walking towards the car from a restaurant last night: " damn your car has a nice ass"!! lol
I really doubt you'll get bored in 3-4 years unless you have severe ADCD, (attention deficit car disorder).
Bish
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
I think he was referring to acceleration.

No I haven't gotten tired of the M5. I nearly negotiated a deal on a 991 Carrera S, but couldn't see myself driving one in the end. I test drove the car 3 times, and on all 3 times it was superb. But I think as an overall package, I was left wanting more. I drove away in my M5 and didn't regret not buying the Porsche. It handled amazingly, had a ridiculous amount of options, and had that Porsche build quality we've come to expect. What held me back was the M5s versatility, subtlety, and power Also, it didn't help that I drove a GT3 RS..that is truly the only 911 I would consider selling my M5 for. In the end, you have to drive both the 911 and M5 back to back and see which one gave you a bigger grin for longer. Here is the one that I almost pulled the trigger on, was a really gorgeous car. (and had the best launch control ever, wow)

Man if you can your hands on a GT3 RS 4.0 may set you back 270k. I believe less than 200 were made. That thing is a pure track car the door handles are pull chords ......too raw for me. That's a car you buy, and park it as it will do better than your 401k.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ihope View Post
Just wondering how "long-term" owners feel about their cars, after 1+ years of owning it? I recently test drove an F10 and it was undoubtedly the fastest car I've ever driven. I'm just wondering if this is a car that is easy to get bored of? You can only slam the gas from stoplight to stoplight so many times before the thrill wears off.

Reason I ask is because I'm considering a lease, which is a 3-4 year commitment depending on what lease I opt for. Another option is the 991 (non-S). The issue is that I drove the M5 first and I highly doubt a 991 with 210 less horsepower is going to wow me.

I've had torque monsters in the past and the thrill did indeed wear off. I'm just wondering if the M5 offers more in terms of satisfaction to its owners. I'm not trying to discredit the car at all either... it was without a doubt the greatest performing car I've ever driven and 1 day later I am still smitten and can't stop thinking about it.

Thanks in advance!
Still love it and will likely keep for 2-3 years or until mileage warranty. I did ED Sept last year and now 11K miles in and honestly I'm still learning how to drive it, even after M School, which really helped a lot. If all I was doing was racing from light to light I would lose interest too. But where I live I have lots of twisties within easy reach and so to me it's the perfect combo of daily driveability and unbelievable power and very good handling when wanted. It's a Zen car for me... I don't see it as a competitor to the 911 but more as complements to one another (as others have said). I don't have any open garage bays right now but would consider a 911 if I did. Need to sell one to add one here...

I found it interesting that while at M School all of the instructors dove into the M5's to lead us around the demo laps and also for hot laps. It seemed like they were in love with the total package that the M5 has to offer and preferred it to the 3 and 6.

Far from bored at this point...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

After about 5000 miles I always kind of loose the feeling of driving a new car. I just get used to it so it feels normal. On to thinking about the next lease that's coming up.

That doesn't change how much I like the car though.
      10-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Saw my friend pull away out of the parking lot in my m5 today and my mouth started salivating.... You do not simply get tired of this car..... Ever! Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Actually, you mean if you are scared that it feels like the car is gonna flip over or slide trying to manage the weight in the turns THEN get the M5-lol! (haha-kidding!)

Seriously though...You are thinking correctly about mash and go. That is what the M5 is. I did get bored with it but moreso because I got the M6 which IMO feels a lot more connected to the road and is a lot more fun to drive. I got a 991 (but I still have the F12 M6 cab in the garage). Honestly, I would choose the M5 over the standard Carrera. I would (and did) choose the 991 S over the M5. It is NEVER boring. First car I have bought in a while that I can honestly say that I will keep for a couple of years. I initially just financed it but I ended up liking it so much I just committed and paid it off. Give yourself PLENTY of seat time in both. SUCH different cars. Took me a full 2 months to like the 991 at all. I was laughing at Vic and Bimmer6 about theirs. Then I figured the car out and it blew me away. Still does very time I start it. I have missed my F10 exactly ZERO.

Sorry if this rubs some of you wrong-and I am fully aware that it will but I am qualified to answer honestly having owned both and also having the M6. And I won't stray from honesty to appease people. On that note, have you driven the M6?

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 10-20-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
With the delimiter removed on the M5 it should be pushing 200MPH+. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 991 is already delimited from factory with a top speed of 187? Plus the M5 will get their much faster. Acceleration wise it should blow it out the water. With some simple bolt ons it will be even worse (without tune).
What delimiter?-lol!

And you probably should get some seat time before you say "blow it out of the water". It is definitely faster in certain ranges. 0-60 the Porsche takes it. Low speed roll-Porsche. After 155 you know the story. You can't talk about what the car "might" do. Talk about what it does and from an educated (ie: experience) standpoint. I actually had a salesman take a C4S out to race me in the M6 cab and at 60-80 mph rolls the M6 IMMEDIATELY jumped 1-1.5 lengths. He did however pull right in behind me and didn't lose much ground past 100. It is definitely not "blowing away." We did these 0-60 tests and low speed rolls as well. So these are actual true statements I am making about the performance of one vs. the other. I was seriously SHOCKED. I will tell you that at those speeds if there is a little traffic the Porsche will weave in and out and lose the M5. I did this with a Shelby recently. He by FAR out powered me as we did some spirited interstate driving and as soon as we hit a little traffic I completely lost him. It was funny watching him try to switch lanes sharply and catch up to me. Honestly, "driving experience" has to do with a LOT more than straight line acceleration.

TO the OP: This decision has a lot more to do with "needs". If you need the back seats and more "comfy" interior and you like the BLAST of power, then the M5 is the easy choice. Pure all-around fun-Porsche no question. I don't find myself even in the M6 much these days either. HOWEVER, "fun" is all subjective. What is fun to YOU may not be fun to ME and vice versa. Spend a LOT of time driving both cars. The could not be any more different. Mash and go in the BMW is intoxicating. The linear power of the Porsche and that roar of the motor behind you, the "tight" quality feel of the car and the handling-wow! Not a tough choice either way if you know what you like. One of them will bring it out in you-the other won't.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic

Last edited by ColdList; 10-20-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
Quote:
GT3, which is the only 991 I would ever consider, is significantly faster to 60 (3.0 seconds in Motor Trend test) and has a top speed of 195. No one has delimited a M5 in two years, so philosophical top speed is sort of irrelevant, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
After about 5000 miles I always kind of loose the feeling of driving a new car. I just get used to it so it feels normal. On to thinking about the next lease that's coming up.

Yes. The S63. Do you think it is possible to enjoy driving that car as much as you can enjoy sitting inside it?

I like it but my recent non-AMG S Class autobahn experience put me off.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #22
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch

Yes. The S63. Do you think it is possible to enjoy driving that car as much as you can enjoy sitting inside it?

I like it but my recent non-AMG S Class autobahn experience put me off.
Was this experience in the new S class? If so I would like to hear your assessment. The previous model was very Lincoln-esque.
Appreciate 0