BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Fuel pump fuse problems

Appreciate any thoughts you guys might have on this. Dealer picked up my car for a wash, when returning it the car died pulling out of an intersection and would not restart. Had to be loaded on flatbed to get back to shop. Only fault was blown fuel pump fuse, yellow 20a in trunk box. This was replaced and car returned. First time driving died again on me pulling out of intersection. This is disconcerting because you lose steering and brake power assist when the engine dies, and it dies immediately when fuse blows. I replaced fuse myself and got car started, was able to return it to dealer. Now they are going to replace the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump), fuel filter, and fuel pump relay. My car is 2014 CP completely stock except for Dinan stage 1 piggyback. It has run like a clock with no problems until now. I never track, drag or race car.

Anyone else have or heard of this problem? I know BMW has a history of fuel pump issues. Any suggestions as to problem/solution? Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Could actually be your fuel pump. Did you get the drivetrain malfunction alert when it died?

My low pressure fuel pump went out on mine with only 10K on the clock.
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
Hammer91
Private
Rep

UPDATE: Problem solved

In case someone else has this problem and finds this post on a search, thought I would update. Second time fuse blew error code for low pressure fuel pump was found. There are three fuel pumps in the M5, two are high pressure and mechanical, thus draw no electric charge and would not cause fuse to blow. Third is the sender unit in the fuel tank, it is electric and can draw enough current to cause fuse failure if malfunctioning. Dealer replaced low pressure fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and fuel filter. Problem solved, car running great.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
Hammer91
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst M5 View Post
Could actually be your fuel pump. Did you get the drivetrain malfunction alert when it died?

My low pressure fuel pump went out on mine with only 10K on the clock.
Turned out mine was a low pressure fuel pump as well, replaced and all good now. Never got the drivetrain malfunction alert when it died. Only 6000 miles.
Appreciate 0