M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

12-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Agree. I suspect though that most of the lease holders won't do this, which is why if anyone is buying used its better to buy from an owner than an off lease car from a dealer.
Most assuming statement.
I've leased many M cars and performed beyond factory Maintanance on all.
Why would I want to drive a car (leased or bought) in anything less then perfect condition.
Maybe this statement applies to Lexus or Mercedes lesees ....however, in my experience ....90% of M owners are of a specific breed of car enthusiast and care for their cars better then the average bear.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
Most assuming statement.
I've leased many M cars and performed beyond factory Maintanance on all.
Why would I want to drive a car (leased or bought) in anything less then perfect condition.
Maybe this statement applies to Lexus or Mercedes lesees ....however, in my experience ....90% of M owners are of a specific breed of car enthusiast and care for their cars better then the average bear.
so how often do you change your oil? do you take the stuff BMW provides or bring your own?

I've been on this board a long time and generally the guys who are changing oil at 3000-4000 miles and bringing their own oil are owners. Not always the case - but generally the case.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #25
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
so how often do you change your oil? do you take the stuff BMW provides or bring your own?

I've been on this board a long time and generally the guys who are changing oil at 3000-4000 miles and bringing their own oil are owners. Not always the case - but generally the case.
10 yrs of 6 M cars and always changed oil between recommended intervals. And also did preve tative maintanance whenever applicable (Vanos bolts on s54, etc)
Owned 3 and leased 3
Like I said, I believe that 90% of M owners/renters take care of their cars better then your average non-M, Audi, Mercedes, etc drivers.

Ive always thought that its a better idea to do an extra oil change after break-in on the new M cars. Glad you pointed this out with factual data rather then opinion.

As far as the oil used....that depends on how I use the car. My track and race cars I use special oils and fluids that are proven beyond the factory recommended. And for the street cars its usually Castrol Synthetic.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #26
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek
Quote:

10 yrs of 6 M cars and always changed oil between recommended intervals. And also did preve tative maintanance whenever applicable (Vanos bolts on s54, etc)
Owned 3 and leased 3
Like I said, I believe that 90% of M owners/renters take care of their cars better then your average non-M, Audi, Mercedes, etc drivers.

Ive always thought that its a better idea to do an extra oil change after break-in on the new M cars. Glad you pointed this out with factual data rather then opinion.

As far as the oil used....that depends on how I use the car. My track and race cars I use special oils and fluids that are proven beyond the factory recommended. And for the street cars its usually Castrol Synthetic.
That's a pretty impressive maintenance schedule.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek
Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
I brought it in about 10 days ago and the SA told me they couldn't diagnose the error if no warning lights were on at the moment. It seems like it only goes on after I drive 150-200km on the highway cruising speed (90-100 km/h). I thought about driving it directly to the dealer yesterday, but once we got back in town and driving in the city for few minutes. The light disappeared again. (I had stopped at a shop to pick up something. Car was restarted at this point and the light is gone)

Very confused. And next week I am going on a 4 day road trip with the M5, this time I plan to reinstall the oem air filters instead of running those BMCs. Will report back if any differences are made. Also hope I can get the mid-cycle oil change done this week.
So you suspect your BMC filters?
I wonder how many F10M5'ers run the BMC filters? (removing the Charcoal filters of course).
Wow, this is from quite a while ago. Yes, I did think it was the BMC filters but eventually, I didn't take them out and use the oem filters for that particular road trip back in summer time. It was all okay, no more warning signals since then.

In the past, when I used a pre-oiled air filter (K&N, aFe), usually I'd wipe it down with a auto shop paper towel before install them. I kind skip that on the BMC. Maybe that could be a cause, I can't be 100%.