BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
markow
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche C4S 09 reg

friday pickup 2K km report

i picked up my MCB/Silverstone M5 (LHD) three days ago at BMW elms cambridge, UK. i ordered it in the second week of april and pickup on june 1 ...excellent service by tony gardner (big thanks)!!!!
so here are my first impressions, after having driven the car from cambridge to vienna, austria: the car feels like a ballistic missile, serious torque starts at 1200 revs. this is extremely intoxicationg, particularly when you think that you are throwing two tons around. highway speed is totally misleading, you feel you are going at 90km/h and you are already at 160km/h. at the same time the car conveys some road feeling (with damper setting at sport or sport plus),
steering feel is ok for me (at the sport setting), the dual clutch gearbox is as fast as the speed of light BUT….you are lead to feel that the car does
it all totally without you. driver input not needed….it is like being in a starship and guiding it with the touch of a few buttons. and the sound is non-existing to unobtrusive to unexciting. you decide yourself whether this is a good thing or not.
the car does its job (go VERY fast) without any excitement, it is all business (but the fun?). somehow it seems star wars technology.
three quarters of the way (1800 km altogether via reims and nuernberg) there was heavy rain, with lots of water on the road surface. still, the car was extremely planted, even when i dropped two gears for the fun of it, at 150km/h. DSC came up only once. mind you, i never went over 180km/h and 99% of the time kept the 170km/h limit before the 2K km service. great sense of safety conveyed by the m5. very different from the 911 C4S i had before.
would i go exchange it for something else? certainly not for my previous porsche 911 C4S. for the new porsche 991? hmmm, don't think so,
although that one is the faster car.
for a ferrari 458 (a few days of driving experience)? hmmm don't even think so. too noisy too low too...wouldn't like to do cambridge-vienna in that one...
but i might buy myself a porsche boxster in addition, just for the fun of it…---))
peter
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Thanks for the review
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Congrats Markow and thanks for sharing your initial impressions! Having recently driven the M6 convertible, I totally agree with your assessment of the car as a "ballistic missile"

Added you to our owners registry @ http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656153
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Can't wait to sell my 911Cs and pick up my M5.

BTW, 911 Cs for sale....
Appreciate 0