M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Does BMW plan on making anything in the future to compete with the mustang?

In a year or 2 it will be time for me to get rid of the 135i. I would love nothing more than to own another BMW, but 420hp for around 5 grand cheaper its hard not to think about it. I have yet to sit in one of the new mustangs so I'm a bit wary of the interior.

I like the idea of a lot of stock power and not doing a lot of modding. Does BMW have anything in the works for a competitor to this car? If not hopefully they will in the future..

EDIT: Meant to put this in the BMW section.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

M3?

I don't think BMW will ever make anything in the same price point with equivalent performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I doubt they'll ever build something for an equivalent price point with similar performance specifications. They're two different types of manufacturers, and BMW already has the closest thing to the 5.0: the M3.

Besides, German marques have this tendency to charge more for stripped out cars, nomsayin?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Yeah I understand BMW has the m3 but IMO the m3 is not that impressive for the price tag. The 2013 gt500 is less money than it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

They don't intend to compete.

Both brands are happy keeping their cars notched exactly where they are. Hopefully Ford doesn't plan on trying to upmarket the Mustang in the future though when IRS hits in '15. Its best attribute at the moment is the price.

BMW doesn't aim for the Mustang and never will.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
They don't intend to compete.

Both brands are happy keeping their cars notched exactly where they are. Hopefully Ford doesn't plan on trying to upmarket the Mustang in the future though when IRS hits in '15. Its best attribute at the moment is the price.

BMW doesn't aim for the Mustang and never will.
I don't think it matters what BMW aims for, the mustang set the bar for a sports coupe and beat the 1 series, 3 series, and m3 in every category besides interior quality and probably customer service although I am not sure how Ford is on service.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
I don't think it matters what BMW aims for, the mustang set the bar for a sports coupe and beat the 1 series, 3 series, and m3 in every category besides interior quality and probably customer service although I am not sure how Ford is on service.
In your opinion, perhaps. It's a much larger car though, with a rather different target audience and no available sedan or wagon version. BMW doesn't build a car to compete with a Jeep Wrangler, but I haven't stayed up at night wondering when that might change. If you like the Mustang, get one, BMW isn't going to suddenly build something that directly competes with it. It's a fantastic value, and an impressive performer, nothing not to like there.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
It really depends on what your priorities are. If you just want raw power then you should get the GT500 or the Z06, however if you want something more refined then you would pay up a little bit and get the M3. I think the GT500 and Vette are a bit like a gorilla juice-head trying to compete in a tough mudder. They are strong as hell but lack in all around physical fitness.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
It really depends on what your priorities are. If you just want raw power then you should get the GT500 or the Z06, however if you want something more refined then you would pay up a little bit and get the M3. I think the GT500 and Vette are a bit like a gorilla juice-head trying to compete in a tough mudder. They are strong as hell but lack in all around physical fitness.
That's a horrible comparison. The current C6 is one of the most successful cars in FIA GT2 racing history (along with the C5), more so than the E92 or E46. So how can it be "physically unfit" when that is pretty much the benchmark for racing performance?

I sometimes don't understand the utter disregard for American cars on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I agree that the Vette is very composed on the track but you do give up some creature comforts and refinement. You're naive if you deny that. I don't give a fuck what a GT2 car can do as they are not the same cars you pick up at the dealership. An M3 is extremely capable on a track and you can still drive it to a red carpet event and fit right in. It's still a luxurious car that can go balls to the walls. The Vette and Stang are just balls to the walls.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I sometimes don't understand the utter disregard for American cars on this forum.
If they're so great, why don't you sell your GT3 or 335i and buy one?

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Well in my experience, if you show up at the Ford dealers around here with a BOSS or Shelby, you get a loaner. Doesn't matter if you bought from there. Sure, it's not going to be on par with the F10s I get at the BMW dealership, but not too shabby either. I don't plan on spending a lot of time in loaners, so just the fact that I get one is all I care about in that regard.

BMW shouldn't care how fast the Mustang gets. It will always have a demographic from which they pull, which the Mustang can't touch. Should BMW worry about the next gen IRS Mustang? Also doubtful unless Ford tries to take the Mustang upmarket, in which case I'd probably puke all over myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree that the Vette is very composed on the track but you do give up some creature comforts and refinement. You're naive if you deny that. I don't give a fuck what a GT2 car can do as they are not the same cars you pick up at the dealership. An M3 is extremely capable on a track and you can still drive it to a red carpet event and fit right in. It's still a luxurious car that can go balls to the walls. The Vette and Stang are just balls to the walls.
I drive a GT3 RS, I know exactly what I am giving up in "creature comforts" when I buy a car like this, same with a Z06, or any other stripped car that is performance focused.

I think "lacking in all around physical fitness" is just a very weird way of describing a car that doesn't have plush leather seats that you can show off to the parking valet.

Quote:
If they're so great, why don't you sell your GT3 or 335i and buy one?
See that's the thing, I don't need to "own" a car to recognize that it's great. I think that's a limited and immature way of looking at sports cars as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
I drive a GT3 RS, I know exactly what I am giving up in "creature comforts" when I buy a car like this, same with a Z06, or any other stripped car that is performance focused.

I think "lacking in all around physical fitness" is just a very weird way of describing a car that doesn't have plush leather seats that you can show off to the parking valet.

See that's the thing, I don't need to "own" a car to recognize that it's great. I think that's a limited and immature way of looking at sports cars as a whole.
I had an Exige... I know that sacrifice as well. I never said that I don't think that the Vette or GT500 were capable cars - I've seen enough at the track to know that they're complete beasts. Maybe a better way to phrase my analogy is that the M3 can run a Tough Mudder just as capably, but do it wearing a Zegna suit.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had an Exige... I know that sacrifice as well. I never said that I don't think that the Vette or GT500 were capable cars - I've seen enough at the track to know that they're complete beasts. Maybe a better way to phrase my analogy is that the M3 can run a Tough Mudder just as capably, but do it wearing a Zegna suit.
I can get that analogy.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
It's all in the territory. Go to an American Muscle forum and you'll likely get a lot of trash talking on German and Japanese cars as well.

I wish we could all just be happy with the variety of car choices we have these days but that just isn't the world we live in though, especially on the interwebz where everyone can say what they want w/o much repercussions. Everyone's an e-thug these days.
      06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfx45 View Post
It's all in the territory. Go to an American Muscle forum and you'll likely get a lot of trash talking on German and Japanese cars as well.

I wish we could all just be happy with the variety of car choices we have these days but that just isn't the world we live in though, especially on the interwebz where everyone can say what they want w/o much repercussions. Everyone's an e-thug these days.
I think it also depends on age. I post on Rennlist, and the discussions tend to be fairly mature (compared to here) when it comes to cars of other manufacturers. But Rennlist is also populated with more well-to-do, older, owners. They don't emotionally identify with a brand or car, and defend it as part of their persona. That's a young man's viewpoint of the world. That's why you get so many "kill" stories here on E90Post, because a lot of younger guys think it's actually a life accomplishment to race people at the stop light.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
I think it also depends on age. I post on Rennlist, and the discussions tend to be fairly mature (compared to here) when it comes to cars of other manufacturers. But Rennlist is also populated with more well-to-do, older, owners. They don't emotionally identify with a brand or car, and defend it as part of their persona. That's a young man's viewpoint of the world. That's why you get so many "kill" stories here on E90Post, because a lot of younger guys think it's actually a life accomplishment to race people at the stop light.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Truthfully is there anything besides the camero that will ever compete with the mustang?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not as cut-and-paste as what you're saying. The Mustang can't match the 1/3/M3 in balancing out real-world duties. Whereas the Mustang's SRA, stickier tires, and higher (in most comparisons) output might favor it on the track, in the real world it will be handicapped over less than perfect surfaces, and ride comfort along with interior quality is incomparable. They're different cars with vastly different dimensions and driving characteristics. As much as they might overlap in some quantitative categories, they're simply different types of vehicles.

I wanted a 5.0 for the longest time until I started to reason with myself. Now I want a BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBiscuit View Post
Truthfully is there anything besides the camero that will ever compete with the mustang?
If the 370Z sprouted a set of rear seats it would fall right in line. Other than that, the closest thing would be the Genesis Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
I have gone through the ranks with my BMW dealership and have names of BMW NA employees and have never seen such a lack of respect for the customer.

Quote:
That's a horrible comparison. The current C6 is one of the most successful cars in FIA GT2 racing history (along with the C5), more so than the E92 or E46. So how can it be "physically unfit" when that is pretty much the benchmark for racing performance?

There is so much hate on this forum its disgusting. IF ITS NOT A BMW IT SUCKS I keep seeing it constantly (You might not come out and say it)

I agree if its a great car I will say it. The mustangs not my style but it kicks ass.

OP you can find some used M3s for a good price... But personally I am so set on a V coupe its nuts.

When people get fed up with BMW and they start losing market share things will change.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0