M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

Akra vs. ZCP Exhaust

I had my akra installed for about 3 days now. after driving it for 30 miles each day, I haven't really notice too much louder of a sound. is it just me or am I thinking too little or much? I had a friend give me some feedback and he feels about the same. what do u guys think? any zcp's out there with similar feeling?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Give it 500 miles, I'm pretty sure once the pipes have reacted a bit with the carbon the sound will come through..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Keep in mind these cars are well insulated. Try listening with windows down.
      01-16-2015, 02:42 AM   #4
Tanin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWE46M3
I had my akra installed for about 3 days now. after driving it for 30 miles each day, I haven't really notice too much louder of a sound. is it just me or am I thinking too little or much? I had a friend give me some feedback and he feels about the same. what do u guys think? any zcp's out there with similar feeling?
You should go to your local dealer and drive your car and a standard CP exhaust back to back. If you can't hear a difference (windows up and/or down) something isn't right.

Last month I met with a forum member at a dealership for him to do just that. He was contemplation the MPE but hadn't heard it. The non MPE was no comparison !!! Sound and tone were worlds apart. I've had mine for approx 2,500 miles and will agree the sounds does get better but even new mine sounded amazing in comparison.
      01-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Keep in mind these cars are well insulated. Try listening with windows down.
Same here
Change from Non ZCP to CP Mufflers (With Exhauste Meister in and Resonators already deleted) and first thing I noticed (Nothing different)

And to top it off a friend of mine even told me "what happened to your car dude it was louder?" And I was like OMG.

But it is Louder from outside I would say 10-15% louder and that's a lot and most of it dampened by the insulation of this car which is crazy.

So remember pull all windows down and sun roof open and then drive it of course with Exhaust Meister opening valves ot have some one drive it on front if you and then you'll be happy.

I'm sure Akra is at meat 10-20% better than stock and not just loudness but also music itself -
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
sales@undercovertuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3,m5

Akra isn't for "loudness" total waste of money if that was your idea or concept...they are very nicely made but sound "loudness" never would be the direction to go to a akra system., they are made for no drone and a oem upgrade.

You want loud exhaust, buy ours, rpi, meisterchaft or eisenmann
Lawerence@undercover
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Under 3500 rpm the Akra will have closed valves. To get the full effect, you need to wind out the engine. FWIW I got black flagged at Laguna Seca for 102 dB so it isn't quiet at all in the upper revs

If you want a bit more volume at low rpms wire open the valves. It does help.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

i was really impressed with the akra evo on my old e92. so i went with akra again on the m5.

i was just surprised how it sounded like stock. i do drive my parents around from time to time so i wasn't looking for a "hey look at me". maybe my commutes are so short, or i don't rev it enough, ill try to do that more. but i do get more sound with the windows down, as mentioned.
Appreciate 0