M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

08-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

Are Acquisition Fees Mandatory?

Hey gang - I am negotiating an M5 lease with a dealer that I do not have a relationship with and they are insisting that the "Acquisition Fee" of $725 is mandatory and set by BMW.

Background: I've worked with my local BMW dealer on my last four BMW leases and in reviewing the last three lease contracts the line item on the lease contract for "Acquisition Fee" has been $0.

Question for the Forum: Is the Acquisition Fee in fact mandatory or discretionary?

I've researched this forum and Bimmerfest first and nothing popped out at me other than the fact that some people are paying it. I haven't paid it on my last three leases. Would love to understand if others experienced the same and/or if something in the lease terms have changed in the last couple of years.

Thanks in advance!
Sean
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

Strictly speaking, anything that is not required by law is discretionary. Even if the dealership itself has no say in the acquisition fee (the lessor is BMW Financial Services not the dealership), the dealership could obviously eat that fee and/or hide it somewhere else in the overall pricing of the lease.
If you are ready to walk for the decision over this fee, you could obviously say that "you are fine with having this itemized as long as it is discounted somewhere else in the agreement". I think a good place to even that out is the ridiculous destination charge. Or am I the only one getting ticked off by this bogus revenue driver. Interesting that the destination charge for a Spartanburg manufactured X3 is the same as for a Regensburg manufactured M3, mhhh, some 4600 miles farther away ;-)

Appreciate 0