M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

09-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #1
Montego335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

Power Steering Fluid Flush

Kind of a dumb question so i apologize. I don't really post much but I can't find anything on this topic. Figured time to ask the experts.

I am trying to get to the underside of the car to access the steering rack to do a full flush of the steering fluid. That metal tray under the car is in the way and I need to remove it. I looks really solid and fastened with 16mm bolts. Its also has a that center jacking point. So I wondering if it's heavy and when I unbolt it will it come crashing down on my face? I already hit my leg with a sledge trying to remove a wheel bearing on a WRX three weeks ago. I don't need another injury.

BTW, working on an 2016 F10 M5.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #2
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3, F10 M5

Its not heavy. Just use common sense, support it with your hand on the last bolt, you'll be all good.

Don't forget- Make sure you torque them back up.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 11:35 AM   #3
Montego335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great thanks for the reply. I finally found the shield on realoem this morning and it’s like 6kg. But bolts appear to be torque to yield so I need to order new bolts. Looks like this is a project for another weekend
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:59 AM   #4
Daniel BBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montego335i View Post
Kind of a dumb question so i apologize. I don't really post much but I can't find anything on this topic. Figured time to ask the experts.

I am trying to get to the underside of the car to access the steering rack to do a full flush of the steering fluid. That metal tray under the car is in the way and I need to remove it. I looks really solid and fastened with 16mm bolts. Its also has a that center jacking point. So I wondering if it's heavy and when I unbolt it will it come crashing down on my face? I already hit my leg with a sledge trying to remove a wheel bearing on a WRX three weeks ago. I don't need another injury.

BTW, working on an 2016 F10 M5.

Thanks everyone!
Hi! I have a steering noise when I turn the wheel. It happens whenever I turn, at any speed and stopped. How can I get help.
I don´t know how to post a new question so I decided to answer one with my issue. I am new here at Bimmer post and I´m totaly lost.
Thank you and I´m sorry.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:01 AM   #5
Montego335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel BBimmer View Post
Hi! I have a steering noise when I turn the wheel. It happens whenever I turn, at any speed and stopped. How can I get help.
I don´t know how to post a new question so I decided to answer one with my issue. I am new here at Bimmer post and I´m totaly lost.
Thank you and I´m sorry.
Hi. Have you checked the power steering fluid level? Mine was below the min line and my car would make a strange noise and the steering wheel would vibrate when I would rotate it at slower speeds. Topping of the steering fluid reservoir solved my issue. Otherwise, you might need to bring it to a reputable mechanic.

I can’t help you with your second question. I rarely post. But I lurk a lot. 😀

Good luck.
Appreciate 0