M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-23-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Competition package limited slip differential?!

So I'm looking to buy a 2014 bmw m5, competition package

I used to own a regular 2013 m5, no competition package. With MDM, car was very tail happy. Once I tuned it, it got even worse. First and second gear were unusable

I know the competition package comes with a limited slip rear differential. Supposed to help with traction and cornering. I'm curious to get some feedback with owners who own a completion package. Does the car handle well? In terms of the rear end kicking out , how often does it happen... if at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #2
G.Ride Garage
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

All M5s come with a limited slip rear differential. The difference between comp and non comp is the different programming for the electronic controls.

I never drove a non comp car but mine handles well and doesn't seem too tail happy but it is stock.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60091.50
      02-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #3
Stelios619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Look into a wavetrac. I’m having one installed in the very near future.

But, no matter how you slice it, you can’t be sloppy with your right foot. No differential can fix bad driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:16 PM   #4
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios619 View Post

But, no matter how you slice it, you can’t be sloppy with your right foot. No differential can fix bad driving.
Mallista
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 10:48 PM   #5
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.ride.garage View Post
All M5s come with a limited slip rear differential. The difference between comp and non comp is the different programming for the electronic controls.

I never drove a non comp car but mine handles well and doesn't seem too tail happy but it is stock.
What's your tire setup in the rear ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 09:48 PM   #6
G.Ride Garage
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_knee View Post
What's your tire setup in the rear ?
I have stock size Michelin ps4's.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 10:08 AM   #7
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:

What makes you think an aftermarket mechanical diff will outperform the M5s ediff? Not a rhetorical question.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #8
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi 6mt

M5 comps vs non comps have different mdm coding .

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
Stelios619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
What makes you think an aftermarket mechanical diff will outperform the M5s ediff? Not a rhetorical question.
I had learned about Wavetrac a handful of months ago, and decided to start asking some questions about it.

I was turned on to a couple of videos from a guy named @tommy_turb0 that has an 1,100 BHP F10 M5 in the UK. He had replaced his electronic diff with the Wavetrac, and noted that the car was no longer just spinning tires (was actually trying to regain grip), but more importantly the car was lo longer getting sideways.

Not all limited slips are created equal. And while the factory diff is great for factory power levels, it goes without saying that better options exist when we start asking the car to perform outside of its original design parameters. This applies to suspension, other driveline parts (I’m buying a single piece carbon fiber driveshaft in two weeks), and pretty much any other part that starts to show it’s limitations when turning up the power levels.

It’s nothing new to replace differentials when turning up the power. Quaife, TrueTrac, and other aftermarket answers exist for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
I had learned about Wavetrac a handful of months ago, and decided to start asking some questions about it.

I was turned on to a couple of videos from a guy named @tommy_turb0 that has an 1,100 BHP F10 M5 in the UK. He had replaced his electronic diff with the Wavetrac, and noted that the car was no longer just spinning tires (was actually trying to regain grip), but more importantly the car was lo longer getting sideways.

Not all limited slips are created equal. And while the factory diff is great for factory power levels, it goes without saying that better options exist when we start asking the car to perform outside of its original design parameters. This applies to suspension, other driveline parts (I’m buying a single piece carbon fiber driveshaft in two weeks), and pretty much any other part that starts to show it’s limitations when turning up the power levels.

It’s nothing new to replace differentials when turning up the power. Quaife, TrueTrac, and other aftermarket answers exist for a reason.
Gotcha. It wouldn't surprise me that the eDiff wouldn't know how to best handle 1000+ HP. What are you currently running, or planning to run with the Wavetrac?
      03-17-2022, 05:03 PM   #11
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
pretty good article if someone wants to read it

https://www.rrtransmissions.com/lsdstore/lsd-comparison
Appreciate 0