M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-07-2017, 12:46 AM   #1
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Installed new spark plugs, *tried* to install new coils....

Well, what should have taken about 1 hour ended up being 3.5 hrs.

Ordered NGK 97506 plugs x9...received one NGK box with a used M Bosch plug inside (glad I ordered one extra just in case; looks like some A-hole cant afford plugs and pulled a switch/return).

Gapped to 0.020; plugs went in fine.

Dont know why I ordered Delphi GN10328 coils over OEM Bosch, but here's a headsup...DONT.

The Delphi coils have a push pin inside that clicks onto the spark plug, to hold in place I guess. I tried putting a spark plug into a Delphi coil outside of the car and it was hard as it is, let alone trying to push that Delphi coil all the way down flush in the car in cramped spacing....I couldnt; spent a couple hours trying. Anyways, thrashed 2 Delphi coils (and my thumbs) trying and gave up...going to return the other 6.

Already placed an order for the Bosch coils replacement...hopefully wont take too long next time since I know how to get to them now.

For those wondering why I wanted to change 8 coils, well the plugs were due for a change, and I had a cylinder 7 misfire a couple weeks ago doing a few runs....why not change them while I'm in there for the plugs.

Thanks to user Fast400 for his spark plug video; pretty much followed his method.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412943
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Dont know why I ordered Delphi GN10328 coils over OEM Bosch, but here's a headsup...DONT.

The Delphi coils have a push pin inside that clicks onto the spark plug, to hold in place I guess. I tried putting a spark plug into a Delphi coil outside of the car and it was hard as it is, let alone trying to push that Delphi coil all the way down flush in the car in cramped spacing....I couldnt; spent a couple hours trying. Anyways, thrashed 2 Delphi coils (and my thumbs) trying and gave up...going to return the other 6.
I installed that exact same combo of coil and plug early this year. I do remember the coils being fussy and it was difficult to determine if I had it seated fully, even though I'd done as you did, fit it outside of the car to see how it felt. But, it all worked with no destroyed coils. I don't have any insight on how to make it easier, but since I hadn't done either the plugs or coils before on this car I thought it was part of the drill.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep

The Delphi and Bosch coils are the same size/height. The spark plugs fit into both at same depth, although the plug must "click" into the Delphi coil.

Since I did one cylinder at a time, I could see the Delphi coil did not seat fully compared to the Bosch next to it; could not get that click to full depth with the Delphi, despite all efforts and use of a little dielectric grease.....don't know how you were able to do it Used2be.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Since I did one cylinder at a time, I could see the Delphi coil did not seat fully compared to the Bosch next to it; could not get that click to full depth with the Delphi, despite all efforts and use of a little dielectric grease
I used the same approach, one plug and coil at a time. What made it more difficult was the sliding rubber boot on the Delphi coil. That made it harder to judge when the coil was at the same depth as the stock Bosch coil. Conversely, it did allow me to swivel the coil slightly as I was trying to align the coil with the plug for that last few millimeters of fitment. I believe it was just patiently changing the angle of the coil ever so slightly to achieve full depth which worked. That approach has worked well in other aspects of my life over the years.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Anyone use bavauto? $289 for a aet

https://www.bavauto.com/5005-8
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Well, what should have taken about 1 hour ended up being 3.5 hrs.

Ordered NGK 97506 plugs x9...received one NGK box with a used M Bosch plug inside (glad I ordered one extra just in case; looks like some A-hole cant afford plugs and pulled a switch/return).

Gapped to 0.020; plugs went in fine.

Already placed an order for the Bosch coils replacement...hopefully wont take too long next time since I know how to get to them now.

For those wondering why I wanted to change 8 coils, well the plugs were due for a change, and I had a cylinder 7 misfire a couple weeks ago doing a few runs....why not change them while I'm in there for the plugs.

Thanks to user Fast400 for his spark plug video; pretty much followed his method.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412943

Do you have to remove the metal bracket (looks like sway bar bracket that holds ecu's) to get better access? or just move the ECU's aside along with the black plastic fame that holds them?
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve13m View Post
Do you have to remove the metal bracket (looks like sway bar bracket that holds ecu's) to get better access? or just move the ECU's aside along with the black plastic fame that holds them?
Yes, remove that....its simply 4 torq bits and 2 10mm nuts for the ground wires. Use magnetic tools so you dont drop any into the dark abyss of the engine.
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Anyone use bavauto? $289 for a aet

https://www.bavauto.com/5005-8

I spoke with bavauto and they said these coils wont do anything special over OEM bosch for our cars.
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Mkai0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Black

Quote:
I spoke with bavauto and they said these coils wont do anything special over OEM bosch for our cars.
Interesting, thanks for verifying!
Appreciate 0