BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

For those that have wrapped components on their car

SO I was originally intending to have the following wrapped in a gloss carbon fibre finish to match the RKP splitter that I have

1) Door handles
2) Spoiler
3) Rear diffuser

Ive had a various quotes come in and to do the above it would basically cost me £300 which is not too bad...

However one company came back and advised strongly not to do this and I have to admit I appreciated their honesty..

Two points really....

1) The wrap will definately look like a wrap as opposed to carbon fibre
2) There is the risk that the the wrap on the diffuser will start to detoriate around the exhaust due to the heat...

Has anyone had any experience of wrapping the above components (particularly the diffuser) and if it is worth doing in fact....

The alternative is obviously to buy the real thing from IND but it will obviously cost considerably more...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
SO I was originally intending to have the following wrapped in a gloss carbon fibre finish to match the RKP splitter that I have

1) Door handles
2) Spoiler
3) Rear diffuser

Ive had a various quotes come in and to do the above it would basically cost me £300 which is not too bad...

However one company came back and advised strongly not to do this and I have to admit I appreciated their honesty..

Two points really....

1) The wrap will definately look like a wrap as opposed to carbon fibre
2) There is the risk that the the wrap on the diffuser will start to detoriate around the exhaust due to the heat...

Has anyone had any experience of wrapping the above components (particularly the diffuser) and if it is worth doing in fact....

The alternative is obviously to buy the real thing from IND but it will obviously cost considerably more...
Personally I wouldn't do this for reason 1, and also because when your spoiler looks different to the bodywork, it emphasizes the fact that is a stick-on body part (which is the kind of thing I associate with Chevy and other lesser brands).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I don't think that there will be much risk for using a gloss carbon fiber vinyl wrap on components of the exterior of the vehicle. The parts of my car that are vinyl wrapped like the diffuser and the side skirts haven't really suffered from any kind of extra damage or harm. My diffuser gets a little discolored from time to time, but that is probably because I am running Full Straightpipes on my F10 M5. But it's really no biggy. I use a special purpose vinyl cleaner and it gets all of the dirt and grime that kind of gets baked into the diffuser right out. Even with running full straightpipes, there is a lot of heat coming out of my exhaust tips, and my diffuser has held up just fine. Actually most of dirtiness that gets on my diffuser is from my rear tires from kicking up so much dirt and road grime. Plus you are forgetting the best part about vinyl wrapping, if it gets too dirty or gets damaged, you can just take it off and apply new vinyl. Easy peasey lemon squeezey.

I think that if done right a gloss carbon fiber vinyl can look as good as the real thing.

Check out the picture below. It's basically impossible to tell that the spoiler in this picture is gloss CF vinyl wrapped.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
TazOjla
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
drbru if you're going to get the wrap done I can't stress how good Yiannimize are, I had a wrap done by another company a while back called vehicle wraps or something and I had cut marks all over my car and ruined the paint work. I'm not sure about other companies as I obviously haven't tried them but please don't make the mistake I did by trying to cheap out on it
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I did approach them but they are only taking orders on full wraps...

In addition, it was actually them that advised to stay away from the vinyl carbon
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
I think CF wraps look quite fake and pretty cheesy honestly. RKP is a nice product...I would leave it as is.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
Cubicinches
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't you get a sample of the wrap material and see how it looks when held up next to your splitter? Any half-decent wrap shop should have a swatch booklet, though the swatches are usually really small. You could probably also call the wrap manufacturers (e.g. 3M or Avery) and ask it to send you a sample.

I'm not sure I've seen a gloss carbon fibre wrap in person...or, if I have, I couldn't tell it wasn't real carbon fibre. In my opinion, wrap materials are pretty convincing.

Lastly, I have a complete wrap on my car, including the door handles, mirrors, roof, side vents, rear spoiler, and lower rear valence. The accents are done in glossy black, including the rear valance. I haven't had any problems with the exhaust and I have an aftermarket system with larger tips. I don't notice any discoloration, fading, melting, or disintegration. If there is any, it isn't obvious. Before installation, I asked the installer--which did a good job and is highly respected--if wrapping near the tips would be a problem and he said no. Remember, worst case is it DOES have a problem and you have to remove it. I think wrapped the lower rear valence is relatively easy. But keep in mind that the mirrors and door handles are actually a bit of a PITA.
Appreciate 0