M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

06-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #45
Lual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 CP / X5 G05 ‘21

It is worth it, IMHO.

I dont know if other CP drivers have noticed it, but in sport plus Mode, and when changing gears upwards, at around 6 to 7k rpm, full throttle, the exhaust makes a glorious sound, like a blast in the precise moment of changing the gear.

This, together with the wheels, the lower chassis, etc, makes it attractive enough.

I would however not say a No to a non CP M5. A matter of taste.
Whatever you choose, you will not go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #46
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

I am ordering a 2015 M5 and have been on the fence about Comp or no comp. I have driven a 2014 M5 (obviously no comp back then) and have driven 2014 M6 GC's. Today I was at the dealer with a buddy who is getting a 550. Had a chance to drive both the m6 comp and non comp. Honestly 7300k on a 120k (as I configured) doesn't matter much but the non comp felt so much more poised and fun to drive. It felt more planted and drivable as a daily drive. Didn't really notice the 15hp, but steering feel was different. Purposely drove both over rough roads and big difference - no comp all the way. Also the car felt less jerky in comfort mode. So for having a newborn in the back and driving in NYC and CT, no comp all the way.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #47
Desertdweller
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I too am deliberating the comp pack. My current ride is a 991 911. I mainly want the better handling characteristics and road feel for day to day driving, probably will never track. Can anyone comment on the ride quality of 991 vs m5 comp pack in terms of harshness? For me 991 is a little harsh but I am ok with that bc it's a small sports car. Not so sure for M5. I do recall my 2013 M5 did not feel as controlled due to weight issue in turns with some body roll. Not sure if CP will help with that?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #48
Djokodallas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG ,ML350 4 MATIC

I had 911 turbo s and I am ordering m5 within next few months.
I've test drove m5 a lot of times just to be sure because I am replacing my mb c63.
For the DD M5 is a better car. For handling racing,etc few cars can hang with 911....
I feel like 911 was 2 times harsher.... Ride was quite stiff compare to m5
But than m5 ride is very stiff in comp to an 2014 mb s550
      06-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #49
Olmos64
Commendatore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Moonstone

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Definitely worth it IMO. Has anyone here considered that the non-CP is actually overpriced in comparison to the CP? P.S. If you come back with simple arithmetic you are missing the point :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #50
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I have a 991 C4S cab and an M5 w/ the comp package. The M5 has better ride quality generally but it is not soft. Kinda in between the 991 and a MB sedan. There is a fair amount of road noise on certain pavements with the M5 and I wonder if it's because of the rear subframe being directed bolted to the car. It doesn't handle as well as the 991 but it way faster. My cab feels a little boring after the M5...
      06-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #51
Desertdweller
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
My cab feels a little boring after the M5...
I thought about keeping my 991 C4S, this makes me wonder if I will find it redundant after getting another M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #52
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller View Post
I thought about keeping my 991 C4S, this makes me wonder if I will find it redundant after getting another M5.
Really depends - they are very different cars. 991 is lighter better handling more connected (as much as a 991 can be) than the M5. The M5 is a brute. Slow in and ridiculously fast out of the corners. It's fun to drive but not a lot of finesse in it's demeanor as compared to the 991. I do find myself picking it over the cab most of the time. The handling is good enough and the power ultimately makes it fun to drive. Set everything to eco/comfort and it's a pretty comfortable car.
      06-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #53
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lual View Post
I dont know if other CP drivers have noticed it, but in sport plus Mode, and when changing gears upwards, at around 6 to 7k rpm, full throttle, the exhaust makes a glorious sound, like a blast in the precise moment of changing the gear.
All M5s do can do this. I can almost make my 2013 (non-CP obviously) M5 do it on que.

Doesn't change the fact that it's an awesome sound!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #54
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Not worth it and a little background. I used to own a 2007 BMW 335i and I was running a JB3. It really transformed the car and I believe cost about $400.

The JB stage one is available for our cars and the effect is similar in terms of adding plenty of power but still retaining drivability. I have heard nothing but great things about the tune.

If you are handy it looks to be a pretty easy install and a good option to the competition package. There are downsides but to me the JB stage 1 would be the better option from a pure power perspective.

As far as handling is concerned the M5 is no lightweight and does not compare at all to a 991. Coming from a Porsche, I did not buy the M5 for its handling prowess. The M5 is capable and a great cruiser and in my opinion the main reason to get the CP would be the increased handling.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #55
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmos64 View Post
Definitely worth it IMO. Has anyone here considered that the non-CP is actually overpriced in comparison to the CP? P.S. If you come back with simple arithmetic you are missing the point :-)
I'm listening...

How do you figure?
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #56
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
I'm listening...

How do you figure?
+1 -
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #57
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmos64 View Post
So all 2013 were overpriced??? Please explain your simple arithmetic.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #58
Desertdweller
Private
Rep

Sorry if a repost. Interesting review of competition pack though:

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #59
Desertdweller
Private
Rep

I actually was able to test drive an M5 with the competition pack yesterday. After almost a year out of my 2013, I have to say the car was very different from my old M5. As I said, I am coming from a 2013 991 C4S. I was worried that the comp pack would be too harsh. I drove the car in comfort and sport.

Ride quality: to me this was not an issue. Even in sport the car was very comfortable. I drove through areas with some fairly rough road. I never felt the ride to be in the least bit harsh. To the contrary, it was quite comfortable without being too "plush". My 911 by comparison is bone-jarring over road joints, the M5 absorbed road imperfections very well.

Road feel: The M5 with competition pack had a much better translation of what was going on under the tires than I recall my old M5 having. Steering on my '13 felt numb, the '14 reminded me more of my 2003 E39 530i. I actually liked the feedback from the steering wheel as well as my 911, maybe liked the steering better.

Handling: In comfort and sport the car just felt buttoned down, more planted than I recall my old M5 being. Decreased travel in the suspension was notable. I never really carved out any significant turns, but car seemed to handle direction changes better with the new suspension set up. Weight is still notable but feels more controlled now through turns.

Exhaust note: One thing I think the 911 does very well is create a sensory experience for the driver. The PSE on the 911 is a key element to create that experience. Much to my surprise, the exhaust sound on the comp pack was much better than my 2013 M5. It was not as deep and raw as the 911, more subtle and refined but the note was perfect. Not too intrusive, but just enough to add to the sensory component of the driving experience. Piped in or not I really enjoyed that sound.

Horsepower: I cannot say I noticed a difference from 2013 M5 as I kept the car within break-in limits for RPMs. However, even with those restrictions, the M5 just blew away my 911. The low end availability of torque made my 911 seem anemic by comparison. I forgot how fun the availability of that torque can be.

Overall: I felt the changes in the competition package added up to create a sublime driving experience. I always felt something just a little lacking in my old M5. The competition package seems to make just enough difference to fill in the void. My main concern was not whether it is "worth" the extra 6000 USD as I was fairly certain I wanted the changes. Instead, I was really concerned the ride compromise would make me regret ordering the comp pack. I left the test drive wanting to drive the car more. I did not enjoy the drive home in my 911 nearly as much. Bottom line, after my test drive I feel I can order the competition package with confidence. In addition, I was contemplating keeping my 911 and having the M5 as a daily driver. After my test drive I decided to get rid of the 911. The M5 was too fun and I know I would not personally need it as an alternate, just don't think I would want to drive it enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #60
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
I actually was able to test drive an M5 with the competition pack yesterday. After almost a year out of my 2013, I have to say the car was very different from my old M5. As I said, I am coming from a 2013 991 C4S. I was worried that the comp pack would be too harsh. I drove the car in comfort and sport.

Ride quality: to me this was not an issue. Even in sport the car was very comfortable. I drove through areas with some fairly rough road. I never felt the ride to be in the least bit harsh. To the contrary, it was quite comfortable without being too "plush". My 911 by comparison is bone-jarring over road joints, the M5 absorbed road imperfections very well.

Road feel: The M5 with competition pack had a much better translation of what was going on under the tires than I recall my old M5 having. Steering on my '13 felt numb, the '14 reminded me more of my 2003 E39 530i. I actually liked the feedback from the steering wheel as well as my 911, maybe liked the steering better.

Handling: In comfort and sport the car just felt buttoned down, more planted than I recall my old M5 being. Decreased travel in the suspension was notable. I never really carved out any significant turns, but car seemed to handle direction changes better with the new suspension set up. Weight is still notable but feels more controlled now through turns.

Exhaust note: One thing I think the 911 does very well is create a sensory experience for the driver. The PSE on the 911 is a key element to create that experience. Much to my surprise, the exhaust sound on the comp pack was much better than my 2013 M5. It was not as deep and raw as the 911, more subtle and refined but the note was perfect. Not too intrusive, but just enough to add to the sensory component of the driving experience. Piped in or not I really enjoyed that sound.

Horsepower: I cannot say I noticed a difference from 2013 M5 as I kept the car within break-in limits for RPMs. However, even with those restrictions, the M5 just blew away my 911. The low end availability of torque made my 911 seem anemic by comparison. I forgot how fun the availability of that torque can be.

Overall: I felt the changes in the competition package added up to create a sublime driving experience. I always felt something just a little lacking in my old M5. The competition package seems to make just enough difference to fill in the void. My main concern was not whether it is "worth" the extra 6000 USD as I was fairly certain I wanted the changes. Instead, I was really concerned the ride compromise would make me regret ordering the comp pack. I left the test drive wanting to drive the car more. I did not enjoy the drive home in my 911 nearly as much. Bottom line, after my test drive I feel I can order the competition package with confidence. In addition, I was contemplating keeping my 911 and having the M5 as a daily driver. After my test drive I decided to get rid of the 911. The M5 was too fun and I know I would not personally need it as an alternate, just don't think I would want to drive it enough.
Nice take on CP -

Last edited by soooma; 06-30-2014 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #61
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the perspective. Love my M5 but am still in the first 2 weeks of having it in my garage. Have always wondered if I would give up my E92 M3 for a 911 someday. At the moment the two (M3 and M5) are a great complement to each other.

Congrats on what sounds like a new ride.
Appreciate 0