M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #133
xDrive McGee
Rep
Drives: 2012 Bentley Continental GT

Nope! My M6 still at the VDC. Latest communication was delivery to dealer in 2H October, with no status update since (not for lack of trying mind you). Stopping by the Bentley dealership tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #134
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3249
I guess then Im the only one left. My dealer still has no clue where the part is or when its coming.

Last time I ever buy from Hassel BMW or probably from BMW in general.
My dealer called this morning and told me that today they got the notification that they could finally order the part. Up until that point although they were trying to order the pump part they could not get it to go through . So long and short there is some sort of allocation system that is in place probably like when initial buy orders when in . The big dealers got there's before others.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #135
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35D, 15 GT3

Got a call from the dealer this morning, SA stated that the oil pump is estimated to arrive today. Car will be ready Monday morning.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #136
tarmant
tarmant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i-xDrive, Dravit Grey

My oil pump came in to my dealer today, car is still about 14 days away. Did watch a service tech changing out the oil pump in an M6 they received today I attach a picture of the famous pump.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #137
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

My pump is in. Should have my car back Monday. I think I'll take Columbus Day off and celebrate.

To everybody who has not been notified that their new pump is in, I strongly advise you to call BMW NA and try and talk them into moving your car up on the list.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #138
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight
My pump is in. Should have my car back Monday. I think I'll take Columbus Day off and celebrate.

To everybody who has not been notified that their new pump is in, I strongly advise you to call BMW NA and try and talk them into moving your car up on the list.
I would 2nd that. Think of a drop dead date in your mind and tell them you want the car by this date and you won't see compensation. This along with being courteous and respectful seems to do the trick. Well for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #139
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35D, 15 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclk55 View Post
Got a call from the dealer this morning, SA stated that the oil pump is estimated to arrive today. Car will be ready Monday morning.
Got a call again! SA just confirmed that the pump is in. Pump came in a kit, which includes seals, gasket, filter, and Break In Oil. They are going to work late into the night for me to pick up tomorrow morning instead of Monday.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #140
gstineM5
M5 Bern
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 Space Grey

Please Read

This takes the cake...i was at the dealership today shopping for a new SUV for my wife. All of the sudden i see a brand new White M6 pull out of the BMW dealers garage (where i bought mine from) I walk over and say, "hey man, nice car, did this car get recalled or fixed?" Tech tells me they just got the care a day ago, no one owns it, it's going in there show room and that he just finished the oil pump, and that it only took him an hour and a half. I said really... i went inside and asked how this car got an oil pump before my car when no one has even bought this car yet. The response i got was, every pump has a specific VIN number to it, so this pump can only go in this car. I get that, and it makes sense. But i don't want anyone on here EVER thinking that BMW is trying to get oil pumps out to people who already bought there car before they give pumps to newer customers or potential new cars that they can sell and make more money on. This is the sickest part of the whole process for me... STONEHANDS, you know what dealer i'm talking about, it's not the dealers fault, i get that, but BMW should be shot for putting pumps on cars that aren't even sold before those who have already bought a car or those who are waiting on there cars at ports or at dealerships because of the recall...I'm sick to my stomach. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER BMW AGAIN. just wanted to share this information, it really doesn't do much, BMW NA told me today, they have no update on pumps for me other than to wait for a letter in the mail, and my dealer who i trust and has been honest, said they should probably have it Monday, maybe tuesday, but no guarantee, at least they told me something.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #141
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The official recall notice is now up at the NHTSA website:

Quote:
Manufacturer:
BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Report Receipt Date:
SEP 28, 2012
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number:
12V475000
NHTSA Action Number:
N/A
Component:
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Potential Number of Units Affected:
Summary:
BMW is recalling certain model year 2013 M5, M6 Coupe, and M6 Convertible vehicles, manufactured from July 19, 2012, through September 11, 2012. Due to a manufacturing process error, the tolerance between the engine oil pump's drive shaft and the pump's rotor was not within specification. As a result, the pump's driveshaft could separate from the rotor.
Consequence:
Separation of the pump's driveshaft from the rotor could lead to a sudden loss of oil pressure causing the possibility of complete engine failure, resulting in an engine stall-like condition, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
Remedy:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the oil pump, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during October 2012. Owners may contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417.
Notes:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #142
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstineM5 View Post
This takes the cake...i was at the dealership today shopping for a new SUV for my wife. All of the sudden i see a brand new White M6 pull out of the BMW dealers garage (where i bought mine from) I walk over and say, "hey man, nice car, did this car get recalled or fixed?" Tech tells me they just got the care a day ago, no one owns it, it's going in there show room and that he just finished the oil pump, and that it only took him an hour and a half. I said really... i went inside and asked how this car got an oil pump before my car when no one has even bought this car yet. The response i got was, every pump has a specific VIN number to it, so this pump can only go in this car. I get that, and it makes sense. But i don't want anyone on here EVER thinking that BMW is trying to get oil pumps out to people who already bought there car before they give pumps to newer customers or potential new cars that they can sell and make more money on. This is the sickest part of the whole process for me... STONEHANDS, you know what dealer i'm talking about, it's not the dealers fault, i get that, but BMW should be shot for putting pumps on cars that aren't even sold before those who have already bought a car or those who are waiting on there cars at ports or at dealerships because of the recall...I'm sick to my stomach. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER BMW AGAIN. just wanted to share this information, it really doesn't do much, BMW NA told me today, they have no update on pumps for me other than to wait for a letter in the mail, and my dealer who i trust and has been honest, said they should probably have it Monday, maybe tuesday, but no guarantee, at least they told me something.
I was told the exact opposite by BMW NA. Once I spoke to somebody who knew what was going on, he was very specific that the priority was to get oil pumps into cars which had already been delivered. Are you sure it wasn't the dealership that decided that their priority was making the next sale? The pumps may be assigned by BMW based on VIN, but once it gets to the service department, nobody will ever know whether the oil pump that ends up getting installed was matched to the VIN. And who's even going to care once all the cars get their pumps?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #143
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Woohoo!! Got wind that my car will be at my dealer on Monday, but will need to wait for a pump..

At least I will be able to see it I will hound them daily until its fixed, now that I heard they are able to order the pumps
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #144
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
I'm in the same boat as you my friend. My dealer knows nothing and says check back with them late next week. I've gotten nothing from BMWNA as far as information.

Frustrating indeed.

Mike
I'm in the same pathetic boat as you both. My dealership messaged me yesterday with the wonderful news that the pumps should all "start shipping out this Friday (today)". Wonderful. And they hope to receive them some time next week. Great.
      10-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #145
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, well well....hmph. This is really rubbing me the wrong way. Thanks for the info. SMH.

FTR I've been tweeting some semi nasty crap to BMWUSA just for the heck of it these last couple days and today out of the blue I got a call at home from some lady named Betsy why left VM on my home phone saying she's calling from BMW USA and wants me to call her back at a specific extension. Wonder what that's all about
      10-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #146
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1 View Post
Woohoo!! Got wind that my car will be at my dealer on Monday, but will need to wait for a pump..

At least I will be able to see it I will hound them daily until its fixed, now that I heard they are able to order the pumps
Enjoy it. I'm kinda glad that this past week I've just been too busy with work to make it down to the dealership where mine is rusting on the lot waiting . Guess around Tuesday afternoon or so is when I will start my Dealership prowling again. Sigh...and to think the Porsche dealership is right next door. That 911 Turbo lookin' mighty nice right about now even without the back seats. Or....Nissan GTR anyone?
      10-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #147
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
gstineM5, this is becoming absurd. First, what does the oil pump have to do with the VIN? Is the VIN stamped on the pump? If this was me, I would be apoplectic. Your pump has to be on its way. I would trust the dealer if they say your pump will arrive early next week. Don't trash the brand yet. Once your back in your ride you may feel otherwise. I did.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #148
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Did anyone get reimbursed for a months payment? They've had my car for 14+ and counting.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #149
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerStarBmw View Post
Did anyone get reimbursed for a months payment? They've had my car for 14+ and counting.
If you all don't mind move all updates to the compensentation thread posted today fresh. Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #150
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

If it weren't so sad many of the comments made would be humorous. People are making assumptions without knowing what they're talking about and then try to treat their assumptions as facts. After treating their unsupported assumption as a fact they go off the deep end!

I don't think anybody here knows what BMW is trying to do to fix the problem let alone know what BMW's motivation is. Some comments indicate that the writer believes that BMW has singled them out so BMW could make an extra effort to make their life miserable. If that were the case, based upon how some have described their behavior, I wouldn't blame BMW -- but I don't think BMW would waste its time and the extra effort!

But as long as we're making assumptions and treating them as facts I'll tell you what I think. I think BMW is trying its best to get pumps that are not available in sufficient quantities to meet demand to dealers and VPCs in a fair and equitable manner. To do this they have kept track, by VIN, of each car that will have its pump replaced. According to the recall list, all but a handfull of cars are identified with a specific dealer. Some are cars that have already been delivered to customers, some are European Delivery cars and are on their way to the U. S. (including mine) and some may be cars purchased by a dealer for their own stock and haven't been sold to a customer yet. I think BMW is allocating the available pumps on a pro-rata basis based upon the number of cars each dealer has on the recall list. They'll do this until supply catches up with demand. This is the way they treat all dealers fairly so one dealer doesn't get all the pumps he needs and a nearby dealer that needs pumps doesn't get any. It's the same way BMW NA allocates new models to dealers. When a dealer actually gets the pumps BMW has shipped is also influenced by factors more under the control of the shipping process than BMW.

The only relationship to a VIN is to know how many pumps each dealer needs. Remember, you can't buy a car from BMW, you can only buy a new BMW from a dealer. If a dealer has 8 cars on the recall list and receives 5 pumps in the intial batch the dealer decides which cars they go on. BMW sells cars to dealers, not us. For this reason BMW NA can't tell the dealer which car to put them on, BMW doesn't own the car (or the dealership for that matter). All BMW knows and can do is recognize how many cars it sold to each dealer that need their pump replaced and send that dealer that many pumps as soon as it can. It appears to me (an assumption, not a fact) that is what BMW is doing.

I now turn this program back to the fiction writers!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #151
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

My car had the oil pump fixed on 10/3. It showed released to carrier from VPC on 10/3 and scheduled for delivery today. Today came and went and no transports showed up at the dealer. No one knows where my car is right now. Thats good to know I got the pump fixed but unfortunately its a moot point if you cant find the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #152
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis View Post
If it weren't so sad many of the comments made would be humorous. People are making assumptions without knowing what they're talking about and then try to treat their assumptions as facts. After treating their unsupported assumption as a fact they go off the deep end!

I don't think anybody here knows what BMW is trying to do to fix the problem let alone know what BMW's motivation is. Some comments indicate that the writer believes that BMW has singled them out so BMW could make an extra effort to make their life miserable. If that were the case, based upon how some have described their behavior, I wouldn't blame BMW -- but I don't think BMW would waste its time and the extra effort!

But as long as we're making assumptions and treating them as facts I'll tell you what I think. I think BMW is trying its best to get pumps that are not available in sufficient quantities to meet demand to dealers and VPCs in a fair and equitable manner. To do this they have kept track, by VIN, of each car that will have its pump replaced. According to the recall list, all but a handfull of cars are identified with a specific dealer. Some are cars that have already been delivered to customers, some are European Delivery cars and are on their way to the U. S. (including mine) and some may be cars purchased by a dealer for their own stock and haven't been sold to a customer yet. I think BMW is allocating the available pumps on a pro-rata basis based upon the number of cars each dealer has on the recall list. They'll do this until supply catches up with demand. This is the way they treat all dealers fairly so one dealer doesn't get all the pumps he needs and a nearby dealer that needs pumps doesn't get any. It's the same way BMW NA allocates new models to dealers. When a dealer actually gets the pumps BMW has shipped is also influenced by factors more under the control of the shipping process than BMW.

The only relationship to a VIN is to know how many pumps each dealer needs. Remember, you can't buy a car from BMW, you can only buy a new BMW from a dealer. If a dealer has 8 cars on the recall list and receives 5 pumps in the intial batch the dealer decides which cars they go on. BMW sells cars to dealers, not us. For this reason BMW NA can't tell the dealer which car to put them on, BMW doesn't own the car (or the dealership for that matter). All BMW knows and can do is recognize how many cars it sold to each dealer that need their pump replaced and send that dealer that many pumps as soon as it can. It appears to me (an assumption, not a fact) that is what BMW is doing.

I now turn this program back to the fiction writers!
This may seem silly and perhaps a bit simple...but based on the comments made in the thread and your lengthy post, I don't quite get your point. I think most if not all people here have made comments they acknowledge to be speculation or rumor. I don't think any of us here work for BMW NA. Forums have a purpose and I think when something like this happens, they serve that purpose at their best: to provide a medium whereby the consumer may vent and express his/her grievances/challenges with a product, and perhaps even gain satisfying information/assistance on said product. Most people here from what I can tell are more pissed off by the way the recall has been handled as far as the ammunition of info dealers have been provided (or not) by BMW NA to allow them to handle bitching pissed off consumers who just spent over 100 grand on a vehicle and are now told they can't drive for weeks. I don't think most of the gripe here is over how BMW NA is actually handling the recall process. It's about being left in the dark. Consumers don't deserve to be left in the dark. Nor should they have to give a shit whose fault it is. You manufacture a product, and you use a middle "man" to get it to me. I pay for it. It should work. If you screw it up and take it back, you need to say when that's gonna be fixed or at least provide those who speak directly to me with that kind of information so I can be at ease/plan my life/ whatever. Anyway, that's just my two cents. What do i know
      10-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #153
RelaxeDriver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe / SM Blue

I'm still waiting for my pump and it won't be in until late next week

I don't understand why people in the States who own these cars have their pumps already.

I assume these pumps are coming from Germany, which is about 2 hours away by plane from the UK.

If you've got your pump that's great news. I personally really feel like I'm being left out and am losing faith in BMW as each day passes and that car sits in their showroom.

After spending $170,000 on this car, I am left with a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #154
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxeDriver View Post
I'm still waiting for my pump and it won't be in until late next week

I don't understand why people in the States who own these cars have their pumps already.

I assume these pumps are coming from Germany, which is about 2 hours away by plane from the UK.

If you've got your pump that's great news. I personally really feel like I'm being left out and am losing faith in BMW as each day passes and that car sits in their showroom.

After spending $170,000 on this car, I am left with a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth.
...and you have a right to. You're a consumer who paid for a product and so you deserve to have it to enjoy. Screw the logistics. If consumers didn't buy BMW there would be no BMW. Ask Saab