Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

2013 F10 M5: Planned Obselescence

Let's not beat around the bush here. People with 2013 M5s, how pissed are you about the MY2014 and competition package changes only 1 year after we bought our cars? Maybe we can get someone's attention with this post. BMW has a right to maximize their profits just like every other company that puts out products after already designing the next version of them. the only problem with this approach is in the long term they will piss off enough of its customer base that we will spend our good money elsewhere just out of spite. what they fail to realize is that there are less and less real differences between high performance cars. the most important intangible thing is brand loyalty, and they are sabotaging themselves by making our less than 1 year old M5s seem outdated.

respect.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I plan on retrofitting the front and rear lights.. if it can be done. Which I think they can be retrofitted because the front and rear bumper has not changed, and the light housings seem to be the same sizes.

I have wanted to lower my car slightly since I took delivery a week ago. I don't like the slammed look (like H&R). If I can, it would be great to install the M5 Comp springs and stiffer sway bars. So that's a plus (factory option is now available).

I already got black chrome exhaust and all other chrome parts changed from the factory. I plan on buying HRE wheels. I don't care about the touch iDrive (from the photos I think the wheel is actually too big). I plan on going with the BMW M5 MPE or Akra exhaust. The +15 HP power increase is not a huge deal as I can get a power gain another way.

The only thing I care about and that's probably not able to be retrofitted is the improved steering. That's basically the only thing I wish I had.

I am not sure about retrofitting other parts such as the M Rear Differential control module (for improved traction). The reworked MDM I am also unsure about.

Overall, not that big of a deal.. just the improved steering is something I wish I could have. Maybe the rear diff module (but maybe that can be retrofitted? seems almost like a piggy back upgrade from the factory).
      05-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Damn dog. I see your point. As I have stated before, I couldn't care less about the MY 2014 M5. The only possible thing that I am interested in from the LCI M5 are the Tail Lights, which should be easily upgradable.

I love my 2013 F10 M5, even though the next model year will be LCI for the M5 and the M6 Gran Coupe will be introduced, I still couldn't care less. I got to sit in an M6 Gran Coupe today at Bimmerfest and although I was impressed with the shape of the car, I still can't get over how much I dislike the interior of the M6. It's just not my cup of tea. Plus I think the M6 Gran Coupe is way overpriced.

As far as the Competition Package goes, I don't care about that either. Right now my exhaust setup blows anything away that BMW can come up with and I'm not a wheel guy so I don't care about the special wheels that the Competition Package comes with.

I do feel like BMW has become more and more like Porsche though, upcharging you for every little thing.

Right now there's nothing I wish my 2013 F10 M5 could have beside more power and torque which I will be fixing soon. I love the way that my M5 sounds with my RPi GTM and I wouldn't have it any other way. The RPi exhaust just transforms the car in a way that ///M Division never can.

I plan on keeping my 2013 F10 M5 for as long as I can and when that day comes when a 2014 LCI M5 pulls up next to me at a stop light, I'll simply give the other driver a friendly thumbs up, and then proceed to blow him away with the roar of my RPi GTM exhaust. Lol!

So to sum up this whole post in one word, which I think will apply quite aptly here, it is: CAPITALISM. If you want you can move to North Korea and then you won't even have the problem of BMW making your 2013 M5 feel obsolete. Lol! Just kidding buddy.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Damn dog. I see your point. As I have stated before, I couldn't care less about the MY 2014 M5. The only possible thing that I am interested in from the LCI M5 are the Tail Lights, which should be easily upgradable.

I love my 2013 F10 M5, even though the next model year will be LCI for the M5 and the M6 Gran Coupe will be introduced, I still couldn't care less. I got to sit in an M6 Gran Coupe today at Bimmerfest and although I was impressed with the shape of the car, I still can't get over how much I dislike the interior of the M6. It's just not my cup of tea. Plus I think the M6 Gran Coupe is way overpriced.

As far as the Competition Package goes, I don't care about that either. Right now my exhaust setup blows anything away that BMW can come up with and I'm not a wheel guy so I don't care about the special wheels that the Competition Package comes with.

I do feel like BMW has become more and more like Porsche though, upcharging you for every little thing.

Right now there's nothing I wish my 2013 F10 M5 could have beside more power and torque which I will be fixing soon. I love the way that my M5 sounds with my RPi GTM and I wouldn't have it any other way. The RPi exhaust just transforms the car in a way that ///M Division never can.

I plan on keeping my 2013 F10 M5 for as long as I can and when that day comes when a 2014 LCI M5 pulls up next to me at a stop light, I'll simply give the other driver a friendly thumbs up, and then proceed to blow him away with the roar of my RPi GTM exhaust. Lol!

So to sum up this whole post in one word, which I think will apply quite aptly here, it is: CAPITALISM. If you want you can move to North Korea and then you won't even have the problem of BMW making your 2013 M5 feel obsolete. Lol! Just kidding buddy.
I personally am not gaga about any of the changes actually. in the big picture, this car -as it is- is much more car than I have ever had or will ever need so I don't feel it's obsolete in the least. it's just the principal of the matter that irks me. like your ex not even waiting for the coffee to get cold before her new fancy schmancy boyfriend comes over. not that that's ever happened to me of course. and hey, don't knock North Korea til you've tried it. haha!

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

BMW North America

BMW's marketing methods do cross the line, to me, for the reasons stated and for not bothering to release the "possibility" of new/improved adds. I am positive that these new "options", and probably a few others have been part of a "marketing study" for at least a couple of years. But, I am sure that even BMW cannot predict what the real owners of M cars will start "improving" on their cars until we actually start asking/or buying parts that are not being offered as OEM. Unfortunately, some owners will resent being left behind or feel like they are not important enough to warrant consideration in being a content client.

If BMW really cared about it existing clients (especially those that have been loyal and purchased their cars for many years), they would offer a special pricing package for those choosing to upgrade their cars. How much would a substantial discount on the newer parts really cost BMW NA. The offer would be a nice good will gesture and I am sure that only some of their customers would take them up on such an offer. As it is, the stigma of the possible "oil pump" failure is still on the minds of most.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Oh also, like I said before. I can guarantee that there are still going to be people who buy this Competition Package and all the improvements it offers and still put H&R Springs on it, because it's not low enough, or change out the steering wheel to an Alcantara one, or change the wheels even though the Comp Pack will come with extra special wheels. So what does it even matter.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Oh also, like I said before. I can guarantee that there are still going to be people who buy this Competition Package and all the improvements it offers and still put H&R Springs on it, because it's not low enough, or change out the steering wheel to an Alcantara one, or change the wheels even though the Comp Pack will come with extra special wheels. So what does it even matter.
IMO all those don't matter. As you said I would change them anyway (honestly would).

Only reworked steering, diff module, MDM improvement, and M comp suspension actually matters to me.
      05-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

I own a 13 and I'm good with the 14 LCI. I like that BMW will continually upgrade the car. I will get pissed if BMW doesn't offer some or all of the performance upgrades in their M catalog. The 3 items I want most for now are the headlights, the programming and possibly the lowered suspension.

Here's something I haven't heard mentioned. Assuming the LCI lasts for a few model years; the most exclusive F10 M5s will be the pre LCI models which means for US owners the 13 will be the most exclusive model. 2013 models will be the only model year with "unique" single slat kidneys (which I prefer to the double slat), headlights, tail lights, steering wheel, and other items.

I realize this might seem strange reasoning to some but I can think of many classic cars that are sought after today precisely because they were the only model year with this component or that, etc.. Maybe I'm way off here but it's something to consider..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Certainly we have no reason to be anywhere near as angry as 2013 E63 owners!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
I own a 13 and I'm good with the 14 LCI. I like that BMW will continually upgrade the car. I will get pissed if BMW doesn't offer some or all of the performance upgrades in their M catalog. The 3 items I want most for now are the headlights, the programming and possibly the lowered suspension.

Here's something I haven't heard mentioned. Assuming the LCI lasts for a few model years; the most exclusive F10 M5s will be the pre LCI models which means for US owners the 13 will be the most exclusive model. 2013 models will be the only model year with "unique" single slat kidneys (which I prefer to the double slat), headlights, tail lights, steering wheel, and other items.

I realize this might seem strange reasoning to some but I can think of many classic cars that are sought after today precisely because they were the only model year with this component or that, etc.. Maybe I'm way off here but it's something to consider..
I don't agree with your "exclusivity" argument. BMW did the same thing with the E39 M5. The first US MY for the E39 M5 was 2000. The 2001 MY saw the introduction of "angel eyes", revised rear tail lights, nicer steering wheel and improved Nav screen. The 2000 MY became the least desirable MY and lots of 2000 MY owners upgraded to the changes.

Last edited by Tom C; 05-19-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Certainly we have no reason to be anywhere near as angry as 2013 E63 owners!
sure but they should have known their model life was coming to an end at that point.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

ZCP (and LCI) updates has been part of the M3s in the last 2 generations, how can you not expect something like this coming?

Sure I give you that the HP bump and new steering setup are great value added and unprecedented for BMW, but this sort of thing is expected. You wanted to be part of the first group of owners, unfortunately that's just the result of being the first to own the car.

This isn't different with what Porsche or AMG, or Ferrari, or Lambo, and a lot other manufacturers did. I see you owned a WRX and E92 M3, and you've observed this. Part of it is marketing, part of it is squeezing extra profits out of an aging product line (Cayman R/M3 ZCP), part of it is being a first mover in the market and offering your product before your competitor, but I think a big part is just improving the car itself after gathering more consumer reviews.

I'm in a similar boat with you. My 08 M3 is "old" now. I wish I could have ordered frozen black, ZCP, updated LCI lights, CIC idrive, BMW apps, manual seats...but you know what? this comes with the territory when you buy these cars early in its product life cycle.

It sucks for you, and sorry if you felt like you were misled that you were receiving the "final edition" M5, but all this is to be expected.
If it's any consolation, with the M3, you could retrofit a big portion of the ZCP (and CI) updates back into your car (for a significant cost of course). If you really can't live with ZCP, trade in your car while you still haven't eaten more depreciation.

Last edited by mdosu; 05-19-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
true, you sound like you came from a E9X M3
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The M5 was launched at the M festival at this time in 2011.
The car is essentially 2 years old.
      05-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
BIG~BLUE~BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR,F10 M5

I usually care about this stuff but for some reason I don't. The only thing I care about is the led head lights. But I don't like the new grills or the wheels and I don't really like the steering wheel neither. But I am deff up set BMW did this to there customers. BMW is not one to change so fast. They should have done these changes before they came out with the 2012 m5 but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG~BLUE~BMW View Post
I usually care about this stuff but for some reason I don't. The only thing I care about is the led head lights. But I don't like the new grills or the wheels and I don't really like the steering wheel neither. But I am deff up set BMW did this to there customers. BMW is not one to change so fast. They should have done these changes before they came out with the 2012 m5 but that's just me.
they did it with the M3:
1. after first year, there's updated navigation and LCI taillights
2. a year later, there was ZCP
3. a year after, special colors and edition cars
4. a year later, BMW apps
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
I like my car. Heck I bought the last year of the E60 the month before they came out with the F10 in 2010. I got a $7000 discount on a $60k MSRP car without haggling because of the body style change. I got almost as good a deal on my car because I waited until this car was almost out to buy my 2013 M5.

Anyway, it's not like there are a lot of M5's out there and this isn't a major body style change. It's not likely to be that noticeable to most people. As to the other minor points, I will mod my car if there are some additional things I would like out of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I am actually pleasantly surprised that the LCI for the M5 is "respectful" to us 2013 M5 owners in that the updates are all swappable pieces. No bodywork changes.

The other thing is that the cosmetic changes were not implemented to address complaints, so in fact whether they are an "improvement" is just a matter of taste or opinion.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I am actually pleasantly surprised that the LCI for the M5 is "respectful" to us 2013 M5 owners in that the updates are all swappable pieces. No bodywork changes.

The other thing is that the cosmetic changes were not implemented to address complaints, so in fact whether they are an "improvement" is just a matter of taste or opinion.

I don't know...it seems like the front nose is a little different up by the hood (grill looks smaller).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
sure but they should have known their model life was coming to an end at that point.
I don't think so. The E63 pre-LCI ran from 2010-2013, however after that you have an LCI, not an all new model. Mercedes made their LCI look like a completely different car - but this isn't a new model, it's just a heavy handed LCI.

It would be like BMW completely changing the bumper, the shape of the lights, the hood, and the entire rear end. I don't think we would expect that in an LCI.

Second, we also new that an LCI was coming for the 2014 year. There are threads from a year ago discussing this which is why some people held out for the 2014 M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
BC87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 M5

We all knew this was coming. Why care now? I sure don't.
      05-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC87 View Post
We all knew this was coming. Why care now? I sure don't.
I agree. I am actually happy that they didn't change any structural body parts like bumpers, fenders, hood, boot. That would have had a significant impact on 2013 resale.

These changes are so minor, they barely qualify as an LCI IMO. In the resale market there is little demand for LED headlights and a competition package.

People act as if they were cheated out of the competition package. I wonder if they will feel the same way when they realize it is a $15k+ option. Given the low take rate of Carbon Ceramic Brakes, I suspect very few people would have ordered the competition package, especially when $15k buys you much more effective after-market tuning.
Appreciate 0