M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #45
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

99 percent of all the accidents I investigated could have been avoided. Lets hope the op don't wind up in a ditch somewhere because he was showing off. But as he stated he knows nothing about our cars so he is extremely uninformed about its performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #46
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
You know guys, when I reflect on what some of the lurkers (non owners) here are saying, I think the F10 M5 will end up with a reputation for fiery late night crashes in the hands of boy racers who bought one used. Just wait till used price values start to hit 40 - 50k.

Makes me realize I'm going to have to get out of this car and into something safer before this car gets that reputation. It's an association you don't want to have, especially as it's something law enforcement will note.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #47
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
Feeling a little butt hurt?

You drive your car the way you want. I like my cars with no restrictions. To each his own.

One last question: Why buy an M5 is you're not going to DRIVE it?

Paul Walker comment... not amused.

As for your comment regarding DSC... Driving with DSC off is reckless? You're comedic. Thanks for the laugh.

Just like I said above.. Why buy an M5 if you're going to drive around restricted? I guess you don't have the skills necessary to let it unleash... sad
You mean you like your dad's car with no restrictions?

I operate high performance vehicles for a living, how about you? I know when and where the limits are and when you shouldn't exceed them. DSC/MDM is a very smart system in the F10, and roundly seen as a huge improvement from its E60 variant. The fact is the F10 is not the E60, so if you haven't even driven one, why comment?... DSC off all the time is just stupid.. there are times and places to turn it off. Stealth's Paul Walker comment is spot on - the Porsche GT has no PSM (their version of DSC) and look what happened.

Don't have the skills? lol... I've tracked my M5 on Nurburgring and done 160 on the autobahn, and have posted proof of both(guess what? DSC was on). Stealth has done the M-school and gotten into the 11s in a drag, and posted proof of both. How about you? Just don't go out there and hurt yourself trying to impress some people on the forums -- safety, then speed. Most people have little to no experience driving a 600hp car. Everyone who has actually tracked or raced this version of the M5 will use DSC/MDM in some fashion unless its a straight-line launch control drag.

Maybe you should be commenting on what detailing products one should use, and leave this discussion to those with real experience and actual seat time in the F10 M5.
      12-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #48
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
You mean you like your dad's car with no restrictions?

I operate high performance vehicles for a living, how about you? I know when and where the limits are and when you shouldn't exceed them. DSC/MDM is a very smart system in the F10, and roundly seen as a huge improvement from its E60 variant. The fact is the F10 is not the E60, so if you haven't even driven one, why comment?... DSC off all the time is just stupid.. there are times and places to turn it off. Stealth's Paul Walker comment is spot on - the Porsche GT has no PSM (their version of DSC) and look what happened.

Don't have the skills? lol... I've tracked my M5 on Nurburgring and done 160 on the autobahn, and have posted proof of both(guess what? DSC was on). Stealth has done the M-school and gotten into the 11s in a drag, and posted proof of both. How about you? Just don't go out there and hurt yourself trying to impress some people on the forums -- safety, then speed. Most people have little to no experience driving a 600hp car. Everyone who has actually tracked or raced this version of the M5 will use DSC/MDM in some fashion unless its a straight-line launch control drag.

Maybe you should be commenting on what detailing products one should use, and leave this discussion to those with real experience and actual seat time in the F10 M5.
Spot on! Great detective work finding his DAD'S car!

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #49
BIG~BLUE~BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR,F10 M5

I keep mine off as well....
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #50
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Rainy day

Never ever do it in wet weather. Almost crashed while in MDM. Thought it would be fun to drift a bit but it did exactly what you went through. Somehow got out of it and my buddy behind me thought I had completely maneuvered it like that on purpose lol. There's no doubt it allows for a higher threshold of maneuverability, but if you're not used to it or haven't had the chance to explore its potential in a safe place id recommend to only use it in a straight line since it allows a bit more power down. It's weird but it's the first BMW I'd compare to a tail happy e55 amg and e63 amg. AWD for the future?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #51
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Yes, drive very smooth w/ DSC off....joke. Until you don't. Unless you drive for a living or are on a track that has enough room to allow you to push beyond the limits, you do need computers controlling the way you drive. HP torque and rear wheel drive.....disaster waiting to happen. Quite frankly this car can be a bit scary...
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #52
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

There is a reason the drifting world record is held by an F10 M5 now......
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #53
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Not sure what happened to @avlnch post but it was a great post. That other thread was very similar to this one, and a powerful cautionary note to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #54
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Not sure what happened to @avlnch post but it was a great post. That other thread was very similar to this one, and a powerful cautionary note to everyone.
Agreed. I noticed it disappeared too. A very very sad story, but it's one that should be used as a lesson so others can learn the reality of what can happen. Very sobering story...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #55
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
I saw his post too... how tragic. A kid M5 owner goes from bragging about his M5 "max settings, DSC off" on one day to dead the next. (news story here)

We have a saying in my community that would seem to apply..

"there are bold pilots and old pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots"

MTV, im not butthurt; no nerve has been struck... My responses were simple and swift after you interloped into a cautionary threat amongst fellow F10 M5 owners with bad, uniformed advice. I thought your original post was taunting and boastful.. your additional responses don't sway me from that opinion.

I guess I could say take your opinions on how to drive the M5 back to the E60 section of the forums where at least you might have some credibility.

I'll say again, drive the M5 to its max at your own risk. If you are going to do so, you are not going to figure it out by yourself, as a 24 year old. If you think are a self-taught DSC-off driving phenom, and the rest of us are a bunch of p***ies, I hope someone else is watching over you.

Instead of arguing with us, seriously peruse these forums and see exactly how those who have pushed their car to the limits have done so before you offer any advice on what the right setup is for an M5. (DSC off in the snow? why?)
      12-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #56
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
I saw his post too... how tragic. A kid M5 owner goes from bragging about his M5 "max settings, DSC off" on one day to dead the next. (news story here)

We have a saying in my community that would seem to apply..

"there are bold pilots and old pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots"

MTV, im not butthurt; no nerve has been struck... My responses were simple and swift after you interloped into a cautionary threat amongst fellow F10 M5 owners with bad, uniformed advice. I thought your original post was taunting and boastful.. your additional responses don't sway me from that opinion.

I guess I could say take your opinions on how to drive the M5 back to the E60 section of the forums where at least you might have some credibility.

I'll say again, drive the M5 to its max at your own risk. If you are going to do so, you are not going to figure it out by yourself, as a 24 year old. If you think are a self-taught DSC-off driving phenom, and the rest of us are a bunch of p***ies, I hope someone else is watching over you.

Instead of arguing with us, seriously peruse these forums and see exactly how those who have pushed their car to the limits have done so before you offer any advice on what the right setup is for an M5. (DSC off in the snow? why?)
Well spoken. I may be wrong, but most people I know buy the M5 not because they are "superb helmsmen" but because they appreciate a fast, well made and comfortable car. Not many people would have the ability to fully exploit the abilities of such a car (even on a track). The main thing is to enjoy what you have safely and not reach beyond one's capabilities (damn, I sound like an old fart!!!!!)

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #57
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Yo B the link to the story isn't working. Drats!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #58
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

The most important is for a person to realize his limits. No need to call someone who drives without DSC an idiot, or someone who drives with in, a pu***. I respect both people as long as they drive to within their limits and not try to be heros.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #59
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
You know guys, when I reflect on what some of the lurkers (non owners) here are saying, I think the F10 M5 will end up with a reputation for fiery late night crashes in the hands of boy racers who bought one used. Just wait till used price values start to hit 40 - 50k.

Makes me realize I'm going to have to get out of this car and into something safer before this car gets that reputation. It's an association you don't want to have, especially as it's something law enforcement will note.
Agree. And I am already thinking about a S550 4-matic or S63 AMG (does the AMG come in AWD this generation?).
      12-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #60
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
Agree. And I am already thinking about a S550 4-matic or S63 AMG (does the AMG come in AWD this generation?).
Yes S63 is only in AWD for North America. I was having same thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #61
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

I think people who have not driven the car do not realize how much rear slip angle MDM gives you , especially on the CP . I have 20,000 track miles in a supercharged Z4M with 550hp in which I drive DSC off 100% . It's not a macho thing , DSC on the Z4M significantly slows me down on track bc it doesn't allow any slip angle and even intervenes too much on the street in a straight line. I would love if it had the MDM mode that came on my M6 CP it would have likely prevented my one on track accident due to a wet spot on track. It almost never intervenes , and allows up to 30 degrees of controlled slip angle ! It's way closer to DSC off than most realize . I've tried the M6 with DSC off and it really is quite a handful even for an Advanced highly skilled track junkie . One spot of sand in the road you don't expect on a curve , 500 lb/ft of torque to the wheels and 4200 pounds and I don't care how good you are ..... It's gone . I liken The new MDM to an advance like ABS , it makes the car perform better and be safer . I can actually drive the car faster with MDM on than off . Which is the first time I can say that with a car . Well done BMW. And I highly suggest everyone explore their own limits of skill only in a safe environment like a DE event .
My two cents .
George
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #62
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

@Stealth.Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 Pilot
can't call B1 Pilot so I will quote him
I saw a precursor to a time and event that nobody would want to see repeated. I tried to share a very valuable story to a very similar member in an all too familiar situation/frame of mind.. but theres nothing I can do if my posts are deleted.

The moderators deleted my post (it's soft deleted - it can be reversed at any time).
Let me tell you, it was really something he needed to read.

Last edited by avlnch; 12-02-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #63
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Please put a link to it, I would love to read it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #64
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
I saw a precursor to a time and event that nobody would want to see repeated. I tried to share a very valuable story to a very similar member in an all too familiar situation/frame of mind.. but theres nothing I can do if my posts are deleted.
The similarity between AmericanM5 and MTV is amazing in terms of age, driving their fathers M5s, and believing they can forego driver aids. If anything MTV is more cocky and disrespectful which is what got him banned.

AmericanM5 was pretty humble in his posts, just not in his perception of his driving skills. And that's what got him killed. By contrast MTV is far less disrespectful of what other more experienced M5 drivers have to say.

Here are some quotes from AmericanM5 in that thread for those who haven't seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanM5, 1/24/2008
Alright guys Im new here and I have a question....as I am driving in m mode with the car set in p500 sport and everything set to max, as I shift with the paddle shifters it sounds like the transmission is banging into gear,(like there is a thud that comes from the trunk when I upshift.....) could this be due to the way Im shifting or is this normal....and if so is there any trick to working the shift

Let me say I am beginner when it comes to high performance cars as I am only 18 so take it easy on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanM5, 1/24,2008
yeah that is the problem when im going pedal to the metal pushing 140 and upshifting there tends to be thud noise with the gear change...I guess that is normal....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanM5, 1/24/2008
the fact that I never drove a manual car before may be true, but Ive been driving for a lot longer than two years buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanM5, 1/25/2008
I completley understand where you are coming from assuming that I am irresponsible..that is definetly understandable. I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others..and I hope you are not under the impression that I am the one to brag, I have never been that way and never will. Plus I will have pictures up asap with me in the pictures. I have no reason to lie buddy.

I will admit I was not aware that it wasnt a good idea to have m-mode set the way I did...My dealer did not tell me anything about it, when I took the test drive my salesmen had it set on the highest levels and told me it was fine. Even the mechanic said it was fine and that the only thing I really had to worry about was getting the services done on time. I know the salesmen pretty well as a friend and he has no reason to lie to me...plus like I said above the mechanic said there is no problem with it at all.... But I do understand where you guys are coming from, but I just want to be apart of the community and learn stuff just like you guys..

so take care

Josh

And then the very next day at 3am he lost control of his M5 laden with 4 of his best friends and crashed into a tree. They were all dead. So much for not endangering the lives of others.

Here's a pic of the car that AmericanM5 drove. Look at the exhausts and the wheel.

Photo taken 1/26/2008

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 12-02-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #65
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
Please put a link to it, I would love to read it.
See above for summary.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #66
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

OMG
Appreciate 0