Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

my 3 track days last week

sunday, tuesday, thursday last week with an hour more sunlight, i was able to go for drives after work. in 15 minutes, i can get to roads like the one in the map. to the ocean and back in an hour an half. beautiful scenery, empty winding roads, switchbacks. throw in a hike or bike ride, and it's a pretty complete way to end the work day. i will eventually track the car for the sake of tracking of it, but these drives were more satisfying, cheaper and took much less time than a track day. these are the drives this car was made for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
sunday, tuesday, thursday last week with an hour more sunlight, i was able to go for drives after work. in 15 minutes, i can get to roads like the one in the map. to the ocean and back in an hour an half. beautiful scenery, empty winding roads, switchbacks. throw in a hike or bike ride, and it's a pretty complete way to end the work day. i will eventually track the car for the sake of tracking of it, but these drives were more satisfying, cheaper and took much less time than a track day. these are the drives this car was made for.
Dude that's sick! I'm gonna have to make my way up there one day soon for a road trip!

I completely agree with you. This is my philosophy as well. I don't like the idea of doing track days with such a heavy car no matter how fast it is. It's just too expensive. Rob ///M5 did 2 track days over a weekend for a total of 4 hours of track driving time and his PSS's were completely gone and need replacement. If I had a lighter car like an M3, or heck even a Fiat Abarth then I would go to the track more for sure, but with mountain roads like we have here in San Diego county and LA County, there's almost no reason to go to the track unless you just want to improve your lap times. On the mountain and canyon roads it's more scenic than a track, there's little to no police presence, and you can achieve faster top speeds out in no-mans land than you can on a track, which is what the M5 is good at.

Also Race gas FTW!!!

Here's a good example of the canyon road that I drove on when I got my M5 back, that is less than a 45min drive from my house on beach. It was one of the best drives I've ever had in the M5!

Who needs a track when you've got this in your backyard.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Looks fun! I'm going to have to make a road trip down your way soon.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep

for sure! next time i go i'll make a video.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
I concur that track time in this car gets expensive fast (I'm sitting at discount tire right now in fact...hahaha).

Mountain roads vs a dedicated track are very different experiences, though both are awesome! The track is certainly worth doing once with the M5. It's confidence building in this beast. I passed M3s a lot
      03-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
I passed M3s a lot
Now this would be a good reason to play on the track as well!

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I don't like the idea of doing track days with such a heavy car no matter how fast it is. It's just too expensive. Rob ///M5 did 2 track days over a weekend for a total of 4 hours of track driving time and his PSS's were completely gone and need replacement. but with mountain roads like we have here in San Diego county and LA County, there's almost no reason to go to the track unless you just want to improve your lap times. On the mountain and canyon roads it's more scenic than a track, there's little to no police presence, and you can achieve faster top speeds out in no-mans land than you can on a track, which is what the M5 is good at.

Here's a good example of the canyon road that I drove on when I got my M5 back, that is less than a 45min drive from my house on beach. It was one of the best drives I've ever had in the M5!

Who needs a track when you've got this in your backyard.
I used to really enjoy the canyons of the foothills both north and south of LA on motorcycles, but beautiful though it is, you have to keep the pace down to allow for the variables that can arise on public roads. The track is the place to test limits, both of yourself and the car, not the public highway no matter how deserted it may appear to be. Maybe you haven't been to Willow Springs Raceway, but the big track would hold the speed you achieve in the M5, and safely. The canyons are beautiful and it is lovely to be able to pull off when there's an amazing vista to admire, but you never know what RV is just around the corner and halfway into your lane as you think to yourself, "I can take this turn faster than I did the last time I was here......." With a bike you have a tad more room to avoid the head on crash, but it still isn't worth risking your life.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep

i hear you, bro. i don't by any means try to drive the car 10/10 when i'm not on the track. rv's are not common, but plenty of bikers on these roads. and i don't think my optiguard will protect me from dinging my car on them if i can see ahead, then i go for it. otherwise, even driving this car 5/10 on these roads is plenty fun for me. my rush does not come from top speed; it's much more fun for me to take long sweeping turns and still be able to take in the scenery. i tracked my m3 plenty, and it is pretty amazing how much grip these cars have in stock form. i do not ever test the limts of grip though driving on public roads.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

It's an awesome drive. I've done this over several weekends. We should do a drive together at some point - and hopefully get some others to join, too!
      03-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Your not playing fair with those roads. Maaaaaan

Country run
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Of course I push my car from time to time on the road, who doesn't. However I reckon you DO need to do a track day ASAP and then have spin in 3rd gear!

My gosh its violent! Put it this way I found that stuff that was wedged under the seats!

Holy sh*t once you've done that and noted pattern on the concrete as the wall races up on you...yes....you'll stuff around in 1st and 2nd on the road, but beyond that you'll back it off....

My 2c I love the track, sideways (badly) to glory!