M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

04-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
jimmy9980
BMW DRIVER ///M
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 M2 07/16 Build

End Of Lease options

Have a quick question. Does anyone know how the end of lease works? If I was to buy the car from BMW will they work on the final price of the car. Or is it set in stone? my residual is $68,091.00 I mean I don't see my M5 being worth that much at the end of the lease. Its not even worth it now and I have 1 year left and 15k miles to go on a 10k a year lease. The car msrp was $112. selling price was around 105k.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy9980
Have a quick question. Does anyone know how the end of lease works? If I was to buy the car from BMW will they work on the final price of the car. Or is it set in stone? my residual is $68,091.00 I mean I don't see my M5 being worth that much at the end of the lease. Its not even worth it now and I have 1 year left and 15k miles to go on a 10k a year lease. The car msrp was $112. selling price was around 105k.
You can negotiate a price but if I were you I would probably dump it and see if you can get into something newer from a private seller on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
FJ80
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy9980
Yes I've also heard that you can negotiate the price but whatever you do make sure you get the extended warranty from either Bmw or a third party. These things tend to have issues in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Ive wondered this as well since ill be leasing my m5. Good to know its negotiable.

another option could be to see if the dealer is willing to do a 6 month push ahead or forward? Or something i think its called, where they get u out of the car earlier.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Ive wondered this as well since ill be leasing my m5. Good to know its negotiable.

another option could be to see if the dealer is willing to do a 6 month push ahead or forward? Or something i think its called, where they get u out of the car earlier.
In my experience, they only do such a thing if you have sufficient equity in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
FJ80
Private
Rep

What if you have a car on order from them, can you push out the lease another few months until the new car comes in?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #7
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
In my experience, they only do such a thing if you have sufficient equity in the vehicle.

i'm talking lease. one bmw dealer offered it to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

You can have equity in a leased car if the residual is lower than market value.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i'm talking lease. one bmw dealer offered it to me.
I know As apexlocator mentioned, you can have equity in a lease. Most common case is if your mileage is much lower than lease terms; given residual is calculated using mileage (amongst other things) at lease end, you can end up with equity in the car (assuming clean carfax, great condition of the car, etc).

But basically, they'll only consider taking the car back early if there's money to be made for them otherwise, why would they eat your remaining payments?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy9980 View Post
BMWFS typically will not negotiate the lease buyout with the leasee on certain types of Subvened Leases, especially residual value incentivized leases. In simple terms the captive finance company carries Residual Insurance to cover any difference in the contract residual value and selling price when a car is remarketed after the term (in a lease, the dealer is selling the car to the Captive Finance Company, you're simply paying to use it).

What can be done is to contact your dealer (preferably the one where it was originally leased) approx 90 days out to see if the car is eligible for Dynamic Buyout. If this program isn't available, at 30 days prior to end of lease, the dealer buyout will drop to an amount that has been reduced by the same number as the combined re-marketing costs and estimated Residual Insurance Deductible. This typically won't occur on M5/M6 and 7er leases as they're almost always residual value incentivized and the market value at the end of the lease is significantly lower than the contract value. Negotiating would prohibit recovery through the Residual Value coverage as this would be deemed an intentional loss. Your contract buyout next year is slightly above the avg wholesale market price for the car right now.

Quote:
I know As apexlocator mentioned, you can have equity in a lease. Most common case is if your mileage is much lower than lease terms; given residual is calculated using mileage (amongst other things) at lease end, you can end up with equity in the car (assuming clean carfax, great condition of the car, etc).

But basically, they'll only consider taking the car back early if there's money to be made for them otherwise, why would they eat your remaining payments?
Contract Equity situations are something totally different and can occur a few ways. These scenarios are not usually the result of the lease being a "good deal".

Pull ahead programs have nothing to do with end of lease contract buyout and are meant to put the consumer in another vehicle during off-peak months, when inventory of certain models exceed an acceptable number of selling days, or pre-owned inventories are low and the number of maturing lease contracts is insufficient to meet the market needs.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #11
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:

ok good to know! so lets say your mileage is much lower than the allotted at time of lease return, they could apply this "equity" to a new lease, a new purchase etc.?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #12
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
ok good to know! so lets say your mileage is much lower than the allotted at time of lease return, they could apply this "equity" to a new lease, a new purchase etc.?
The chances of having any earned equity on a closed-end Lease of a vehicle over $40k are almost zero. On an M5 I'll guarantee there is no chance of ever having it.

At the end of contract, if you lease or finance another BMW through BMWFS, they'll waive the disposition fee. If the car is significantly under the allotted mileage allowance, they'll forgive some things like 2 tires, curb rash, a couple of small dents or moderate scratches, but the car has to be in far better than Avg overall condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #13
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Dealers/BMW are VERY GOOD at setting residual values to be spot on with market. Miami is correct, you will never see equity in an M5 lease.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Dealers/BMW are VERY GOOD at setting residual values to be spot on with market. Miami is correct, you will never see equity in an M5 lease.
I had a 2011 E92 M3 that I returned with about 13k miles (30k was the lease term) after 3 years, and got $5k from the dealer (could've been more if I shopped around, probably). I guess there was demand for the car I had, but I agree it's likely rare, and M5 is even more so.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

How much is the disposition fee? Is it a set rate? Or is it dealer to dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #16
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
How much is the disposition fee? Is it a set rate? Or is it dealer to dealer?
It's a set fee, $350.

Quote:
I had a 2011 E92 M3 that I returned with about 13k miles (30k was the lease term) after 3 years, and got $5k from the dealer (could've been more if I shopped around, probably). I guess there was demand for the car I had, but I agree it's likely rare, and M5 is even more so.
That may or may not have been true earned equity, but it's possible a portion of it was. There is a difference between earned equity and owned equity. Attempting to describe how and when it happens would take days.

As a whole, approximately 12% of individual consumer close-end leases have earned equity during the life of the contract. 80% of these are on cars with original MSRP's under $30k. Above that range, the probability of realized earned equity is exponentially reduced the higher the MSRP goes. As a whole, less than 25% of leases result in leasee redemption of the vehicle.

With BMW/BMWFS, just over half of all the new car transactions are Leased. Certain model lines have higher lease vs buy ratio; 95% of 7 Series sales last year were leases. Within the model lines, certain variants have different ratios. ///M vehicles are in their own unique subset. The reasons for this varies at certain points in time, but it's all geared towards some combination of conquest attrition (internal and from competing brands), revenue generation, CRM, and pre-owned market value influence. The higher the bias to lease, the easier it is to control realized residual values given stable economic conditions. Where it becomes difficult to estimate/control "in-line" residual values is when the cash vs financed ratio reaches a certain ratio. It becomes just enough that future consumer trends cannot be easily quantified. This is why very low captive finance rates (1% or less) are commonly restricted to shorter terms (24-48 months).

Over the course of 20+ years and no less than 40 leases, only once have I had a true earned equity situation occur (on a full size Range Rover of all cars). We all were stunned as it occurred very early in the lease, normally the highest point of the depreciation scale, and was a significant amount. Left with a brand new Full Size Range Rover that had slightly more equipment, an earlier termination point, and $12k in cash. Both were $750 over cost adjusted cap ($500 to the house, $250 straight to F/I Manager's Pocket), no cash cap reduction, buy rate MF. It was simply a perfect alignment that occurred.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #17
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

so don't look out for bmw to give you back shit when you return the lease with way less miles than allotted. end of story
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #18
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
so don't look out for bmw to give you back shit when you return the lease with way less miles than allotted. end of story
Same goes for any consumer closed-end lease. Most consumers do not understand how leasing works especially with regards to the economic mechanisms they use, and the risk/reward they provide/deny. By all indications, you've never leased a car before and have absolutely no fundamental grasp of how it works and why.

There are generally 4 specific types of consumers who lease a vehicle:

- Consumer A: Likes to have a new car every 2-3 years and enjoys the convenience of "walking away" a closed end lease affords.

- Consumer B: Is positioned and capable of utilizing tax benefits to offset the rental expense via deduction or reduced personal tax exposure from a employee benefit.

- Consumer C: Likes to have a new car every 1-3 years but has the capacity to determine a lease is more likely to incur a lower cost over the same period compared to a purchase.

Consumer D: Leases completely on impulse, likes a new car every 1-2 years, but is enticed to choose a more expensive car than they can truly afford, grows tired of the vehicle, and begins a cycle of regularly rolling negative equity from unowned assets time and time again until there isn't anymore credit available.

Last edited by lemetier; 04-23-2016 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #19
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ80 View Post
What if you have a car on order from them, can you push out the lease another few months until the new car comes in?
Yes, BMW FS will extend a lease up to 6 months if you have a new BMW on order and need time for it to be built and shipped. I extended the lease on my 2009 E60 the full 6 months to get me to the start of production on the 2013 F10s.
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0