M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
MDEEDS71
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Singapore Grey

Eng/Trans Noise at Idle

Looking to see if anyone can elaborate on a noise I am hearing.

2014 (bought new July 2105) DCT with stock exhaust and 3500km on odometer. M5 was broken in properly with only limited time in the upper RPM band and above 110mph. I did have the rev limiter hit once when I did not notice the car was in sequential versus standard drive.

Just after starting the car and pulling out of the garage I place the M5 in N with the parking brake on. I then can hear a sound similar to a water pump starting to get noisy/accessory pulley or a manual transmission that is in N...a rumbling to low tone jingling noise. It is very faint when listening from the outside and appears to emanate from under the front forward of the doors. When the hood is open I can slightly sense it drivers right of the engine mid block or so...but cannot tell if it is internal or external to the motor.

Again it is VERY faint but enough that I notice it...as we all do as critical of these cars as we are. For all I know this might be normal for this engine...but my other BMW V8s don't exhibit this or at least I have never heard it. But this is the first DCT and I think it may be the N mode that is making this noise.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

I had a similar issue. For some strange reason when the fuel was below half a tank the car sounded strange at idle. Dealership thought I was crazy. 3 weeks later I had the dreaded check engine light. Turns out the coil and an injector stopped functioning correctly and needed to be replaced. This was on a 2014 CP M5. Good luck.
Appreciate 0