Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #23
acedaking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M5, 10 M6, 13 M5, 14' M6-CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
So you can't really post a thread like this without giving us some more details. Like is the M6 your only car? Or do you have another daily driver and the M6 is your weekend car and the 991 Turbo would take the place of said weekend M6 car? Do you have kids, dog, or a fish? Like how much utility do you need?

I personally wouldn't do it. Not for the 991 Turbo or Turbo S. If you traded in your M6 for the 991 GT3, that would be a different story.

There are a couple of members around here who own 991 Turbos and can speak on it better than anyone here. But in my inexperienced opinion, the 991 Turbo's don't appeal to me because you are getting more performance at a high cost in a car with way less utility than an M6, and the looks are subjective. The average non-car enthusiast can't tell a Cayman from a 911, much less a Carrera from a Turbo S, if you care about such things. Where as the M6 looks nothing like the M5. Just me personally, I don't think the 991 Turbo's look that exclusive, where as the 991 GT3 look very different and badass. I even think the 991 Carrera 2S looks better than the Turbo's, but that's just me.

If you were considering a different kind of non-Turbo car, I'd say sure go for it. Like an Audi R8 V10 Plus, an Aston V12 Vantage, or an LP570 Gallardo. All of those are in about the same price range as a new 991 Turbo or Turbo S. For me it's about the usability of performance too. The 991 Turbo and Turbo S are just too darn fast especially where you live in NYC. The F13 M6 is about as much performance as I could handle in an environment like yours or mine here in DC. I'm over here driving a 700+hp M5 in bumper to bumper traffic going to work on the 395, and it's ok, because at least I've got immense utility, super comfortable seats, the Bang & Olufsen, and it's not going to feel like launch control every time I tap the gas pedal in heavy traffic.

I think a car like the 991 Carrera S would give way more driving pleasure in the city than a car that is just too powerful like the Turbo S. Plus the induction noise of the Carrera S will give way more aural pleasure when driving only 40mph down the city street I'm sure. Owning a car with way more performance than can possibly be used in a crowded environment with idiot drivers driving around in the their Toyota Sienna's cutting you off, like a McLaren 12C, just doesn't make much sense. I'd rather own an Audi R8 4.2 V8 where the power and performance is way more usable on a day to day basis. Again, this is all just my opinion and experience as someone who lives in a very crowded city that can't mash the pedal every day because there's just too many cars in my way.

Also, it is a fact that Porsche banks no less than $23,000 on every car sold and if I personally bought one new, I'd feel like I over paid by that much or more. Not worth it for a car that is extremely refined and handles like Nirvana but hasn't changed in their basic exterior design in decades. Unless you get the 991 GT3, which I believe is a bargain supercar.

In the end just do what you want to do, well because you know... YOLO.
its my only car, but i live in nyc and i travel about 75 percent of the year, i average about 4k miles on my and about 70 percent of those miles is me driving to AC, going on runs(when I'm in town)

my sister has has 3 series that she leaves at my house because she never drives it so if i ever need to run around i just drive that.

you make some great points! what about the GT3? its cheaper and like you said stands out more. but could i use it as my only car?

I'm going to try and test drive one and see how i like it.

The Turbo is 160 and the Turbo S is about 190 thats a 30k price difference, not worth it in my opinion, its not like the 7k for the CP m6 or m5..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #24
GoodandEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

I will not use GT3 as daily and only car, a well optioned C2S or turbo will do the job
Appreciate 0