BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

For Uk owners of M5

Hoiping you guys can help clarify some of the changes that have taken place with the m5 over the years just so I can establish if the price I'm looking to pay for a second hand one is fair..

For those in the know, Id appreciate it if you can date back to the first M5s i.e. 2011...and even better if you can state any known problems along the way that would be even more useful!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
Hoiping you guys can help clarify some of the changes that have taken place with the m5 over the years just so I can establish if the price I'm looking to pay for a second hand one is fair..

For those in the know, Id appreciate it if you can date back to the first M5s i.e. 2011...and even better if you can state any known problems along the way that would be even more useful!

Thanks!
Neil McRae might be your man on this. He will be along soon not doubt.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
JRINNS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ

Garage List
What is it for sale at? Send over some details if you want, pm? I looked at private but in the end went new. These were just under 50 last summer when I was looking , it appears that 42-46 for the same Car now which sounds about right. It's a funny market and I can't see many buyers for them used with the cheap finance offers that have been and gone. Not until the market is flooded with pch cars in a couple of years which may impact residuals even further. But it's only money so get the best deal you can and enjoy!
+ 1 more undecided.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
JRINNS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I really need to change my avatar !
+ 1 more undecided.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
JRINNS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Found it on your other post, same colour combo as mine, make sure that leather and bolster are in good shape as it's a bugger to keep clean. I would expect to get 3k discount on the price , 2 at least
+ 1 more undecided.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru

Thanks!
Most common issue is suspension cluncking! As i have already mentioned before matey
The rest varies from car to car!
My aircon finished itself last summer during hottest days, my friend's pedestrian safety unit was f***g around
Drive Train malfunction and power loss very common issue as well, solenoids should be changed!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
Most common issue is suspension cluncking! As i have already mentioned before matey
The rest varies from car to car!
My aircon finished itself last summer during hottest days, my friend's pedestrian safety unit was f***g around
Drive Train malfunction and power loss very common issue as well, solenoids should be changed!
Well all i know there was a software update as part of warranty and suspension cup change under warranty...everything else seems like normal service history
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Last time I drove mine with the cruise control on panted the throttle pedal and nothing happened (didn't lose power, just didn't respond). Pressed M1 and all back to normal again. Never done that before & no errors on idrive
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
Quote:
Last time I drove mine with the cruise control on panted the throttle pedal and nothing happened (didn't lose power, just didn't respond). Pressed M1 and all back to normal again. Never done that before & no errors on idrive
Thats because u hit LIM button and you were doing the speed you limited your car too!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #10
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

Quote:
Thats because u hit LIM button and you were doing the speed you limited your car too!
Lol I've done this.

Several weeks ago I was sat waiting to join the road adjacent to the banks car park. It's a long road, with no pedestrians and at this point no cars..

Just as I straightened the wheel I went to push M1 then buried the right pedal and nothing happened. The car just wouldn't get past 25mph and I saw LIM on the dash which I thought meant limo mode....clearly my car was knackered.

You can't believe the relief when after pulling I spotted i had pushed the limiter button
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:38 AM   #11
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggly View Post
You can't believe the relief when after pulling I spotted i had pushed the limiter button
I'm going to try the LIM button (didn't look at the dash at the time, but is the most plausible explanation) - never used it before, last time I played around with a speed limiter was on my first new car back in the 1997 and that was nothing more than just an audible warning.

OP, as to fair price, M5's are very well spec'd as std in the UK, so most options should add nothing to value of a used car (with possible exception of competition package), some colour combos will affect value.

I would agree with mstmng insomuch that issues can be variable dependant on a number of factors, hence, if you have not already done so, extended warranty is a must on this type of car.
Appreciate 0