M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #23
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Example I just went in effiecnet mode trans 2 70 in a 30 before hitting 5krpm lol it is fast and you won't feel it lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #24
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

GNALUZU alluded to it (great post, BTW)... the M5 is really for people who truly enjoy a heavy car with a lot of power, superb handling, and want something super comfortable as a daily driver. One of my favorite cars I've owned was a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4. It was a big, heavy car but it had enough power to make it an absolute joy to sling around.

Once you properly learn how to drive the M5 not just fast, but dynamically through tight corners as well, it's a total joy. Some of the most fun I've had with the car is slogging it through tight turns in the canyons and I'm never hitting the speed limit. The more I learn where the car's limits are, the more fun it is.

But learning the limits is critical for enjoyment, and obviously you want to do that somewhere where you can screw up without damaging the car or people. I plan on going to the M performance driving school in the fall. Until then, it's all about learning the car and how it behaves in environments I know well. Traction control stays on while on the street at all times. I know enough to know I am not as good of a driver as I think I am so I let the car intervene when I get carried away.

Is it too much power for a daily driver? Not at all. The car at 1,000-3,500RPM is a completely different car than the car at 3,500-7,000RPM. Set M1 to be the most docile settings of the car and it'll happily putter around town. Set M2 to the most aggressive turn-the-thing-insane mode and it's a TOTALLY different car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #25
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
[QUOTE=GoodandEvil;15361148The fun of driving a GT86 is that you can easily out perform the car, either give it a full throttle or drift it in a parking lot, you are confident that you have the control over the car. M5 is a wild horse, it will harm you and others on the road if you turn off all safety functions and drive like a gorilla.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Drifting and tires screamig at 30mph... Watch Clarkson on Gt86...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #26
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
GNALUZU alluded to it (great post, BTW)... the M5 is really for people who truly enjoy a heavy car with a lot of power, superb handling, and want something super comfortable as a daily driver. One of my favorite cars I've owned was a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4. It was a big, heavy car but it had enough power to make it an absolute joy to sling around.

Once you properly learn how to drive the M5 not just fast, but dynamically through tight corners as well, it's a total joy. Some of the most fun I've had with the car is slogging it through tight turns in the canyons and I'm never hitting the speed limit. The more I learn where the car's limits are, the more fun it is.

But learning the limits is critical for enjoyment, and obviously you want to do that somewhere where you can screw up without damaging the car or people. I plan on going to the M performance driving school in the fall. Until then, it's all about learning the car and how it behaves in environments I know well. Traction control stays on while on the street at all times. I know enough to know I am not as good of a driver as I think I am so I let the car intervene when I get carried away.

Is it too much power for a daily driver? Not at all. The car at 1,000-3,500RPM is a completely different car than the car at 3,500-7,000RPM. Set M1 to be the most docile settings of the car and it'll happily putter around town. Set M2 to the most aggressive turn-the-thing-insane mode and it's a TOTALLY different car.
Thats too bad if you've never even tried MDM where the car will let you enjoy the benefits of traction off while still intervening when it feels you're at a point where you need saving.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #27
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

My take is no car is too much for the street if we practice throttle control. The guy in the next neighborhood from me drives his f430 everyday. We even had a little grudge race one day which was fun. . I push this one every chance I get. I guess it depends on the person.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #28
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

To the op, it sounds like you are confused. Everything is for people and you can get in trouble with any kind of car. M3 is very easy to break the rules with. M5 requires more experience and as long as you do it safely in a area where you don't endanger anyone you will love the car. You need to ask yourself what your goal is and figure out what will put a smile on your face and go from there.
      01-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #29
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

I still have my E93 M3 and go back and forth with the M5.

I love the M5 as a daily driver. It's comfortable and launches like a missile. The m3 is definitely more "interactive" and a fun change of pace.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #30
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19" G05 40i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
YES it is to powerful for road use IMO, I can never stretch it's legs in third never mind the other gears, it's just mental quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #31
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't own an M5, but I drove one couple of times recently and I can tell you that while the car is extremely powerful and torque is right there, it does not feel so fast or powerful. Its sheer size masks its amazing engine. After gunning the throttle many times, my 2 cents is that I feel more scared in my E90 M3 going WOT than I did in M5. For some reason M5 feels more stable and not really slow but I guess the right word is mature. The cabin noise, road noise, the steering, etc, it absorbs everything more whereas with the E9X M3 you get a more "raw" feeling. It feels more dangerous. Around the corners and so on M5 is more forgiving than an M3. With M3 you have a more direct relationship with the car and I think that's the way it's supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #32
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

The real scary in the M5 is when you are cruising at 100, then go WOT...

Acceleration that doesn't quit till the limiter hits is nothing shirt of stunning. Passing a semi going 60 and being triple digits by the time you are ready to return to your lane is incredible.

The M5 is way overpowered for any normal driving, and I love it.
      01-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #33
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

If I understand the OP correctly, I don't think he's as concerned about "too much power" in the sense of driving it casually.... rather, it sounds like he desires a car that he can actually bring to the limits a bit more without getting a reckless driving ticket. Cars with lesser power you can obviously bring to redline and really push to their limits much more "within the bounds of the law" if you will (still likely breaking it, let's be honest)... but with more power comes greater restriction on using it, and I think the OP is saying that it may diminish his "thrill" a bit. Makes me think back to the review of an 1100HP GT-R, where the reviewer commented that it was actually "less fun" than a stock GT-R due to a complete inability to use its power. I guess the question is - is it more fun to push a 333HP e46 M3 to redline and more to its limits or to moderately push a 560HP F10 M5, achieving the same speeds? One car you can more fully unwind on a public road, the other not so much?

I chose to get the 550xi MSport and fully load her up. I was looking for a DD that would provide high-end luxury but also be fast and fun to drive when the moment struck. It's no M car, that's for sure, and it wasn't designed to be. But with MSport and the DHP systems, putting the car into Sport or Sport+, it's anything but "soft" - as I know some of the pre-LCI cars were with their mushy passive suspension and numb steering. BMW's LCI updates have really helped this car. I drove a MY2013 and just couldn't bring myself to buy it... it drove more like a caddy than a BMW. I drove it again when the '14's came out, and I have to say it's greatly improved. Add in DHP, and it became my choice.

The DHP system in this car provides active control over the dampers as well as the anti-roll stabilization. In Comfort mode it provides a compliant ride for cities and bumpy roads, and in Sport or Sport+ it's plenty firm - comparable to other non-M BMWs with passive sport suspensions... meaning, plenty fun still in the corners (certainly not going to a track though!)... and the body roll is more than manageable for anything I can see doing with this car on a public road. Many dealers don't have DHP-equipped 550's on their lots for test drives (I was lucky enough that my dealer's owner let me drive his personal car as a test drive)... it's a $3500 option but worth every penny to make this car handle the way it should. The passive suspension is just unacceptable.

The N63Tu engine (new for the '14) now puts out 445HP with 479lb-ft of torque, and with xDrive can get you to 60 in 4.3s - which I've found to be plenty quick to be fun on public roads. Heck, they've even included a launch control option now... if you wanted to really push it from a dig.

While I would have loved an M5, a few things kept me from it:

1. Lack of xDrive. As many have said here, traction is a limiting factor for the power. Plus, I wanted something that was usable in bad northeast weather as this is my DD.

2. I wasn't going to track the car, so I had to consider what made more sense as a DD. The M5 would probably bring a bigger smile to my face, but the 550's power was "sufficient" to still make me smile when I stomped the gas... and even now I really don't find many occasions to fully utilize the car's power.

3. Price. Nearly fully loaded (I only left off B&O and night vision), the car came to $86k... still considerably cheaper than the entry price on the M5.

In summary, I think the LCI 550xi provides a nice amount of "sport" while giving you great luxury in a DD. It also provides versatility of xDrive. It's not an M car, so it's not going to handle as well, but I think the DHP system provides a very impressive amount of control for a 4400lb car, making it feel comparably well-behaved like a "typical" passive sport suspension non-M BMW... fun for most anything I can think to do with a car legally on the road. But for an enthusiast who needs something more aggressive to toss around, the 550xi may only be half the equation as a DD... needing a sports car in the garage for weekend driving, which is my plan.

For the OP, I'd consider the 550xi - and test drive a '14 with DHP to get the real effect. It'll never feel as well-controlled as an M5, doesn't have the aggressive sound, and not nearly as exclusive... but with xDrive, a more attractive price, and more potential to fully use its power on the street in DD scenarios, I think it's a nice compromise. With a Porsche 911, an F-car, or something sport-dedicated in the garage with it, I like it even more.

Now... this may be the point where a bunch of M5 owners flame the 550 guy for daring to make any comparison at all!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #34
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
On the face of it, your question might seem silly - we all want more power, right? However, going from an E92 M3 to an F10 M5 the question is relevant. More power makes for a different driving experience. I pushed my M3 hard much more often than I do my M5. For me, the maximum power level of the M3 was fairly manageable. Of course you can't drive like an idiot, but I was often near the limit of the car. You can push the M5 hard, and I do, but the speed builds so quickly that I find myself thinking twice before giving it full gas. In the M3 I would just mash it without much reservation. I now drive with much respect and a little fear of the M5's power. It is a seriously fast car. I sometimes think that I did enjoy the M3 more than the M5, or at least I was able to wring it out more often. However when I ask myself if I would still rather have my M3, the answer is...hell no!
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #35
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

To the OP, I wouldn't necessarily say the M5 is too powerful for the street, but could say that I get frustrated that there are few places I've found with enough room and little to no traffic that I can readily/routinely access. As such, I do get frustrated that I can't "use" the power as much as I'd probably like...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #36
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
If I understand the OP correctly, I don't think he's as concerned about "too much power" in the sense of driving it casually.... rather, it sounds like he desires a car that he can actually bring to the limits a bit more without getting a reckless driving ticket.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'll test drive an M5 and a 550
      01-31-2014, 12:52 AM   #37
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

To me it was. I could hardly ever put the power down without TC cutting power. I honestly didn't enjoy it very much. Sure, it was scary fast, but that's about it. It wasn't a fun car for me, especially at lower/city speeds, where I spend most of my time driving. So I got something exponentially more fun. It's smaller, lighter, has an AMAZING sounding exhaust and AWD. All problems solved
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:12 AM   #38
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yup in California they have a check box that says "exhibition of speed" and can give you a violation even if you are only doing 5mph. That's why if you are going to play around always make sure and check your surroundings first. Situational Awareness has saved me many many times, and I'm still able to do WOT pulls all the time.
Yes exactly always check. I had a cop tail gate me one time for me accelerating quick past a car and off a stop light, I got so scared I was going to get pulled over and he even put his lights on me and he rolled his window down and told me "SLOW DOWN NOW" and he was actually nice enough not to pull me over surprisingly. But yes awareness helps is key to not getting pulled over and knowing when to have fun with your car even though your breaking the law haha.

p.s Sorry for my bad grammar I noticed I totally messed up my previous post lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:26 AM   #39
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageMan View Post
To the OP, I wouldn't necessarily say the M5 is too powerful for the street, but could say that I get frustrated that there are few places I've found with enough room and little to no traffic that I can readily/routinely access. As such, I do get frustrated that I can't "use" the power as much as I'd probably like...
Time for you to go on a country run so you can push the limits
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:51 AM   #40
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
The reason I got an M5 is because of the power. I love to push it on my daily drive and get up to speed quick, pass others at will, and occasional empty parking lot donuts.
Having said that, any car that you mentioned will get you a ticket if you're not careful. The difference between the cars you are discussing is more related to size and creature comforts.
JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
Ok, so when my lease ends on my e93 M car, I'm targeting either an M5 or the new M3.

I'm wondering, is the M5 too powerful to be fun and stay within legal driving limits? The e90/92/93 M is really an entertaining car, because you can wind it up to some degree and enjoy its abilities without going to jail.

I really like the M5 and the luxury that it offers, but with nearly 600hp I'm afraid that you can't enjoy the car without being illegal 90% of your fun drives?

The 550 is too soft for me to consider that car. 535 not enough power.
New M3 not enough luxury for what I desire, going forward, I think.
      01-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #41
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
3. Price. Nearly fully loaded (I only left off B&O and night vision), the car came to $86k... still considerably cheaper than the entry price on the M5.
Hmm... my M5 was $101K (and I bought at the worst time of the year; right as LCIs came out)... and for that extra 15K I got an M and all its performance, plus the competition package, full merino leather, an alcantara headliner, and adaptive LED lights. If anything, you reinforced the thought in my mind that if you are going to go with a fully-loaded 550, you might as well get an M5.
      01-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #42
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
To me it was. I could hardly ever put the power down without TC cutting power. I honestly didn't enjoy it very much. Sure, it was scary fast, but that's about it. It wasn't a fun car for me, especially at lower/city speeds, where I spend most of my time driving. So I got something exponentially more fun. It's smaller, lighter, has an AMAZING sounding exhaust and AWD. All problems solved
what did you get?
      01-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #43
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
I don't own an M5, but I drove one couple of times recently and I can tell you that while the car is extremely powerful and torque is right there, it does not feel so fast or powerful. Its sheer size masks its amazing engine. After gunning the throttle many times, my 2 cents is that I feel more scared in my E90 M3 going WOT than I did in M5. For some reason M5 feels more stable and not really slow but I guess the right word is mature. The cabin noise, road noise, the steering, etc, it absorbs everything more whereas with the E9X M3 you get a more "raw" feeling. It feels more dangerous. Around the corners and so on M5 is more forgiving than an M3. With M3 you have a more direct relationship with the car and I think that's the way it's supposed to be.
This is why I'm getting the m4 hoping to get that e92 wot feeling back lol... RPi described it best it was insanely fun revving the hell out of the engine and only going 60. This thing will be at 60+ before you get to 3rd gear lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Hmm... my M5 was $101K (and I bought at the worst time of the year; right as LCIs came out)... and for that extra 15K I got an M and all its performance, plus the competition package, full merino leather, an alcantara headliner, and adaptive LED lights. If anything, you reinforced the thought in my mind that if you are going to go with a fully-loaded 550, you might as well get an M5.
Pretty much... Our family owned both and unless you really need the AWD... Its far smarter to get the m5.

Badblack is just trying to break into the 11's with a BMS modified 550x and Terry got his first m5 and ran an 11.7 lol.

I'd only do it if you needed the AWD
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #44
pi22adough
Rep
Drives: M3

Oh guys you are just giving second thoughts.....im allmost at the dotted line on an M5.im coming from an M3 and even after a short test drive i totally understand what you mean of the M5.
Just by getting on the motorway with ease of gas i went to over 100.and i promiss it was not planned.
Its so smooth its maybe too smooth.if not for the heads up display then i might have even got to far.
On the way home with my M3 i had the feeling that the M3 is so well balanced.enough power,enough revs,sound and feedback.
I really hope i wont regret the change but when i first test drove the M3 i just couldnt wait to pay for it even with my limbs....test driving the M5 it left me a bit cold.....
Appreciate 0