Closed Thread

12-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #45
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
You fly boys crack me up with your assumptions lol. Please be assured my intentions were good. I thought some information about the subject would add to the discussion. It was not my intent to have the last word and end the discussion. I admit I do take some solace in my opinion that, on good days, I am an average driver with average skill and attention span and I appreciate drivers that signal their intent to change course.

That said, if either of your anonymous Internet identities are in anyway reflective of what you actually do for a living and we should cross paths, I'd insist on buying the beers to show my appreciation. Thanks....
No worries. I drive like I fly.. aggressive, but precise - always watching to see how the other guy might try to kill me today (especially true on the motorcycle).

To be fair... in my real job I am quite a stickler for airspeed and altitude control when flying or instructing new pilots. Its a whole different mess if you violate FAA rules, or are off timing and position in a strike package.

The difference in the air is that everyone has to obey the rules, else they get called out in debrief to explain why they weren't maintaining standards. Now, if I could just debrief every minivan driver in the fast lane who was one their phone texting.....
      12-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #46
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I'm signaling my intent to get back in on this thread I started. I asked if not signaling is insulting, not unsafe or illegal. This tangent on safety and lawfulness is all irrelevant to me. my intent is to always drive safely but not necessarily lawfully. It is pretty funny to me how righteous some of you like to get. flame on.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #47
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Only if there is someone to signal to. If you are driving on a desserted road and are the only car, is it unsafe? If there is another car and it is 0.5 miles behind travelling 30mph slower than you, then is it unsafe?

People act as if the answer to this question is black and white. It is no more black and white than breaking the speed limit.

I speed, but I don't speed in school zones or residential areas, or any other location where doing so would be dangerous. I also use my indicators where doing so provides warning of my intention to someone who may otherwise need to take evasive action or risk collision. But I don't need to use my indicators 100% of the time, any more than I need to obey the speed limit 100% of the time.
Oh,I'm sorry you must move your hand 1.5 feet to reach the stalk. Life is so hard isn't it? Seriously just do it, because I would be pissed if you merged into me because you thought you were alone on the highway and were to lazy to use the indicator stalk.

I am not saying you should be burned at the stake if you forget once in a while. I am just saying that it is a safe habit, and one that doesn't require any effort.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #48
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Oh,I'm sorry you must move your hand 1.5 feet to reach the stalk. Life is so hard isn't it? Seriously just do it, because I would be pissed if you merged into me because you thought you were alone on the highway and were to lazy to use the indicator stalk.

I am not saying you should be burned at the stake if you forget once in a while. I am just saying that it is a safe habit, and one that doesn't require any effort.
Really? Even if I was a mile up the road, you would be pissed if I moved into your lane without signaling? If that's the case, then I don't give a shit.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #49
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

Driving etiquette-wise, and local rules, regulations, blah blah, f*@k yeh! Signal before changing lane.

When I'm in my 650, go ahead, cut me off, I'll be ladylike and let it go..

If I'm in the M5 or M3, you cross my path, I'm in a pissy mood & had a sh*tty day, especially if you are a big Ford F150, BRING-IT-ON!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #50
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
I'm signaling my intent to get back in on this thread I started. I asked if not signaling is insulting, not unsafe or illegal. This tangent on safety and lawfulness is all irrelevant to me. my intent is to always drive safely but not necessarily lawfully. It is pretty funny to me how righteous some of you like to get. flame on.
I wouldn't be pissed, because only pathetic people do that.
Jesus LOVES (even) you!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #51
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Lack of signalling is my absolute biggest pet peeve. Not only that, but not doing it is both discourteous as well as dangerous.

I commute in heavy traffic every day in Dallas. Just yesterday (right after seeing this thread), two very typical instances nearly caused a collision. I saw an E46 (on 75 Central) doing heavy swerving throughout traffic on a 4 lane road. Average traffic speed was probably 50mph, but he was going 75+, and cutting across multiple lanes without any signals. Not sounding hyperbolic at all.. but this is how people die.

The second was on a single lane road that was detoured due to heavy construction (LBJ 635). Both sides of the road had concrete barriers, i.e. there was no shoulder at all. I was following a big Lexus SUV at a safe distance, approximately 40mph. The Lexus decided to slam on his brakes, and make a sharp left turn onto a temporary/side road. This was all without blinkers of course. If I see your blinker I am much more able to control my speed in reaction to your brake lights. Just brake lights don't tell me you're going from 40mph to zero to make the turn. But a turn signal lets me know you're coming to a complete stop before making a turn. If I have to brake more suddenly because I don't know you're coming to a complete stop for a turn, then someone could rear end me, as well.

Drives me fcking nuts. It is not that hard to move your finger one inch, to save a life, property and maybe someone's sanity.

Last edited by SamS; 12-06-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread