BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Proper Engine Temp

Probably a real newbie question, but what at what is the proper operating temp for this car fully warmed up. My E60 was easy in that the needle hit and stayed a dead center for normal operating temp. It feels like this car takes a while to get off 160 degrees and even then never moves more than about 1/4 of the way up the gauge. I tend to watch it closely as I don't like to open things up until I am sure the engine is properly warmed up. Is this normal or could I have an issue with my thermostat that is keeping my car from reacing the proper operating temp?
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

It moves just over a quarter and stays there
On highway, if you dont break the law, after a while it will move just under a quarter
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

You can get a digital temp readout through the hidden dash menu. It's in degrees Celsius though.

E60 was easier to tell when the car is at normal oper temp and when over.

F10 is very well cooled. So it takes much longer to warm up and cools down fast when parked for a short period of time.
      02-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
You can get a digital temp readout through the hidden dash menu. It's in degrees Celsius though.

F10 is very well cooled. So it takes much longer to warm up and cools down fast when parked for a short period of time.
Thanks, but I don't want to go through that hassle every time I get in the car. I will rely on the gauge. My bigger concer was whether I was operating at the right temp when warmed up.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
m6gcjekyl
Rep
Drives: m6 grancoupe 2014

Usually takes around 7 miles or so to get to operating temperature at just above quarter on guage.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post

Thanks, but I don't want to go through that hassle every time I get in the car. I will rely on the gauge. My bigger concer was whether I was operating at the right temp when warmed up.
Yeah, another option is to get a P3 Gauge. But easiest way is to visually (in your head) mark the normal oper temp.. then you'll know.

If you want the car to warm up quicker, you can change the oil weight from the 5W-30 factory spec to 0W-30. I did this, and the car seems to warm up faster and even run slightly better. Just need to ensure that it's German Castrol.. I purchased a few boxes from Amazon.
      02-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Thanks.
Appreciate 0