Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Very minor modification

I will be proud of my M5 when I get it, but I don't care for the M5 badged door sill plates at all four doors. Do any of you actually step on the sill as you get into the car? Has anyone removed them? I assume they are held on with an adhesive of some sort, and will have nicely shiny paint underneath when the adhesive is removed. A clean and uncluttered door sill with matching car paint is a look I prefer.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
koxal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
why do they bother you? They are not too shinny and you dont see them much anyways..

as far as removing, i believe it shouldnt be difficult. also if you can remove them one piece without any damages, i am sure someone will be willing to buy them for a good price..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koxal View Post
why do they bother you?
i am sure someone will be willing to buy them for a good price..
I'm just not a fan of badges anywhere on a car and prefer a minimal look. I will keep the BMW emblems front and rear, and the M5 on the side signals. Hadn't even thought of selling the sill plates, but will probably save them as original issue for the time when I might sell the car and the new owner will have the option to restore or not. The plates don't have any useful function other than to advertise the car is an M5, and I already know that. The performance will tell me that every day and that's all I need. I keep my cars for long periods usually, 10 years or more if they agree with me, and I think the M5 will.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

You could always swap them out for the BMW illuminated sills.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...46&hg=51&fg=95
      11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
You could always swap them out for the BMW illuminated sills.
You'll laugh at this, but at first when I was shopping at Mercedes I had opted for the illuminated sills, even at their ridiculous prices. To me it is more attractive than the non-illuminated version, but ultimately I decided not to do it there either. Perhaps BMW does this same thing, but Mercedes varies the charge for the illuminated sills to coincide with the overall vehicle price; C series less money, SLS series lots of money. Sort of the old VW/Porsche parts inequality, same part at different dealerships, big difference in price.

11-18-2012 I looked at a friend's non-M 5 series and it seems the door sill plate is not held on with adhesive but has tabs or pins which must push into holes in the car's door sill. We didn't want to damage his plates by trying to pull them off, but can anyone confirm that there may be holes in the door sills of the car? If so, I won't be removing the M5 plates from mine.

Last edited by Used2be; 11-18-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0