BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #111
Trakrzy
Waiting for the Point By
Canada
Rep
Drives: a few cars

I think it would be foolish to dismiss the CTS-V as a very true and real competitor to the M5. Style is a personal preference but like someone already said, numbers don't lie...it will be interesting to see how it feels and handles around a twisty road. I'm all for more competition in a given segment.

These are good times to be a car enthusiast in a world that is pushing electric stuff day in, day out.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #112
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

As with most GM's a recall is most probably imminent and we all know how that's been for the brand.

Who cars about the power over the M, it's still a piece of GM crap. And what's with that boomerang style?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #113
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Love it. The pictures chosen for this thread doesn't do the CTS-V justice. On sheer numbers alone, it will easily beat the M, AMG, and RS competitors. Everything else is subjective. At the price point, I think it's a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #114
apsuard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

It isn't my cup of tea but like others mentioned I'm glad other manufacturers are pushing the HP numbers in the sedan market. This only points to BIG things with the next generation M5. I like the competition.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #115
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Wow some of these comments are so narrow minded!
People just can't accept the fact that this new ctsv is going to destroy the m5 in all performance aspects.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #116
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade
So far, say this thing has all options ticked and I wouldn't be surprised its around 85k. The previous model barely hit that much with all options picked. The M5 hits 90k easy without all that. The F8x would be priced similar to this for less power and size for additional comparison. Granted people may not see the cars on same level. People who want the BMW, want a BMW. Frankly though, the costs difference isn't even worth thinking about. Thousands of dollars less for for HP and perhaps more/same features.

Side by side like that the M5 definitely looks cleaner but in person I'm rather muted by it. I like the interior far better though. I can't stand the world of touch based screens/buttons in the CTS-V or any other car that doesn't have knobs. That feel of knowing what your pressing is just too damn important to ignore. Fact that Caddy's CUE system has been out for a while and still haven't included key controls - vol for example, kills it for me. Its definitely the little things that matter.

Performance wise, cool numbers but that much power for any car to RWD only is more marketting than useable/purpose built.
Not to mention the Stingray. Way more power plus looks for way less money.

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #117
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Now imagine a tune on this car. Turn down for WHAT!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #118
bodonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

As J Clarkson said, BMW needs to start sending the A Team back to M division from i division.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #119
alvinabed
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 13 AWSO M5,16 DGMR X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
When you stick the CTS-V right next to the M5 like that, the Caddy looks damn fugly exterior-wise and interior-wise.

I don't care if the Caddy is faster/quicker... I'd still take the M!
Totally agree.. No where close regarding look..
upgrades: RKP front spoiler, M performance carbon spoiler, 3D design rear carbon diffuser, KW HAS Sleeve Kit, Akrapovic Evolution Carbon tips, ind black LCI front and rear grills, GruppeM RAM intake, 20" HRE P104 satin charcoal with PSS tires)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #120
IM///M6GC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckbilodeau
Great car from Caddy, thanks for coming out with such a beast. Pretty sad to read the comments posted here. A little bit of impartiality would do good to some people.

Also, keep in mind this car will likely be $20k cheaper than the M5.
Agreed. Give props when due. I love my '15 m6 gc but this caddy has now set the bar pretty high.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #121
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp - MBB/BLK

GM is not a COMPETITOR of anything.

GM went out of business because they have an inferior, low quality product. Match that with a business model that is/was absolutely guaranteed to fail, closing up shop was inevitable for them. Let's not forget, they did indeed go out of business.

Now, just because a Marxist (aligned with an equally radical Union), stole the company from the share holders for themselves, doesn't make them a now "successful and competing" company. If not for the billions they also stole from us (the taxpaying members of our society), they would be a distant memory at this point.

We have a thriving automotive industry in this country that informed people cannot deny. The long-coming failure of GM was appropriate and overdue. Moreover, they operate under the same failed business model they always did, with the same inferior product even today. It's just a matter of time until we watch this all play out again. Hopefully next time the climate will be unfriendly and we can put an end to this insanity once and for all.

No, they are not a competitor of BMW, or MB, or anyone else. Competition is the trademark of Capitalism. The "re-org" at GM certainly was not.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #122
Erich2142
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Ducati 848

That rear spoiler on the CTSV ruined it. You've gotta wait for the station wagon.
      12-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #123
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone View Post

GM went out of business because they have an inferior, low quality product. Match that with a business model that is/was absolutely guaranteed to fail, closing up shop was inevitable for them. Let's not forget, they did indeed go out of business.

Now, just because a Marxist (aligned with an equally radical Union), stole the company from the share holders for themselves, doesn't make them a now "successful and competing" company. If not for the billions they also stole from us (the taxpaying members of our society), they would be a distant memory at this point.

We have a thriving automotive industry in this country that informed people cannot deny. The long-coming failure of GM was appropriate and overdue. Moreover, they operate under the same failed business model they always did, with the same inferior product even today. It's just a matter of time until we watch this all play out again. Hopefully next time the climate will be unfriendly and we can put an end to this insanity once and for all.

No, they are not a competitor of BMW, or MB, or anyone else. Competition is the trademark of Capitalism. The "re-org" at GM certainly was not.

Cool story.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #124
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone View Post

Someone is clearly butthurt that the caddy destroys his car performance wise.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #125
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoz View Post
That rear spoiler on the CTSV ruined it. You've gotta wait for the station wagon.
That spoiler is part of the track pack. It is not standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #126
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85
As with most GM's a recall is most probably imminent and we all know how that's been for the brand.

Who cars about the power over the M, it's still a piece of GM crap. And what's with that boomerang style?
As it stands though, it would destroy an M5
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #127
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep
Drives: Raptor, GT3RS,E92 M3,X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDD2 View Post
How many M5 owners genuinely cross-shop a CTS-V?? I applaud Caddy for dropping that motor in it, but I'd bet that most M5 owners have the E63 and S7 on their list a heck of lot higher than a CTS-V, no matter how much HP it has.
I know i do
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #128
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDD2 View Post
How many M5 owners genuinely cross-shop a CTS-V??...
Probably those that buy 2-4 year old models and not new ones. The same people who cite depreciation as prohibitive to buying new.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 12:11 AM   #129
Aaron@Autosource
Rep
Drives: F110/F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The last CTS-V was always a M5 competitor. The Gen 2 CTS-V and E60 M5 were nearly identical in their dimensions.
This gets me thinking..where were the rest of the people posting in this thread in say 2009, when the CTS-V was already a 15 seconds faster than the E60 M5 around the Ring?

You guys make it seem like Cadillac's some new kid on the block...lol

No one's going to publish an article about how much nicer the F10M is to look at, or to sit in. Keep that in mind. If Cadillac's announcing figures that impressive then they will be tested and those will pretty much be the only thing you'll be reading about. About how it beat the M5. Again.

Stock form, or hey bring Dinan & Hennessy into it too..that'll only increase the margin between the two.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #130
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp - MBB/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron@Autosource View Post
This gets me thinking..where were the rest of the people posting in this thread in say 2009, when the CTS-V was already a 15 seconds faster than the E60 M5 around the Ring?

You guys make it seem like Cadillac's some new kid on the block...lol

No one's going to publish an article about how much nicer the F10M is to look at, or to sit in. Keep that in mind. If Cadillac's announcing figures that impressive then they will be tested and those will pretty much be the only thing you'll be reading about. About how it beat the M5. Again.

Stock form, or hey bring Dinan & Hennessy into it too..that'll only increase the margin between the two.
It could have a solid rocket booster under the hood and I wouldn't drive it. I mean, I am sure the market for this thing will be solid in Seaside Heights NJ, but come on.. It's a roach coach.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #131
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Competition is great for all consumers!

Some real-world comparisons and tests really need to be done before anyone argues which is "best." I also bet the comparisons will fail to mention cadillac's awesome resale value (that doesn't exist).

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #132
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

WOW just wow BMW relability.......

This is the first I ever heard of someone trying to point out BMW's great reliability track record as a factor worth pointing out as the deciding factor in any argument.

I have seen fan boys and will call myself one of the biggest ones of BMW. But as a car enthusiast some of you guys are so narrow minded that now it is ridiculous stuff coming out instead of any sense able argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post

nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0