BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
M5 Orthodox
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Best way to drive DCT?

I remember on the SMG, shifting up in "manual" was smoother when I did the following sequence:

1. Click paddle to upshift
2. Immediately after clicking, slightly release the throttle to allow revs to come down smoothly during upshift
3. Re-engage throttle when next gear engages

The alternative is to keep your foot on the throttle at the same pressure throughout the upshift, however I always felt that something had to give and if you weren't easing up then the car was electronically limiting the throttle input into the engine to get the revs to come down. Not sure if it is a better way to drive the SMG, but it did make it feel more like a true manual and "seemed" to take strain off of the clutch.

My question for the DCT (and maybe guys who have already taken delivery can weigh in on this), is does this hold true? Or is the shift speed so fast when clicked up to 3-bars that it's not possible to do what I described smoothly? Thanks and congrats to everyone in US taking delivery this week!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
sham
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Hi, if you have the 3 bars ( i understood, you meant you ar on the fastest shifting mode) then you will have it hard to do smooth gear changes.
The dct is a dual clutch, so it will be verynsmooth if younwant it, how ever you shift the pads, if it is set in position 1 and it will throw gear in and kick you if you set it up in mode 3.
This is my opinion after driving 4500 kms
Appreciate 0