M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Sic'eM 5
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

How loose can you get in MDM mode?

After nearly 3k miles of ownership, I am nearly convinced that MDM mode is the only way to really appreciate the car. Too many times the default traction control mode would cut power to the wheels when the computer decided my driving was too aggressive.

Now that I've grown more comfortable driving my brand new car, and gotten over the HP fear (somewhat), I am finding they MDM mode is the way to really enjoy the M5.

Question for you enthusiasts, how crazy can you get in MDM mode before the computer kicks in to hopefully save your butt?

Obviously it lets the wheels spin and the back end pop out, but is it possible/likely that a "spin out" occurs?

Also - what are the best practices in MDM mode? Keep foot slammed and let the computer take over on straight lines? What about hard cornering, make steering/throttle corrections or hold the line and power (assuming reason of course)?

It goes without saying that all of this is done on the safety of my personal driveway but if I leave MDM mode on and have to make an evasive maneuver I would like to be prepared.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'eM 5 View Post
After nearly 3k miles of ownership, I am nearly convinced that MDM mode is the only way to really appreciate the car. Too many times the default traction control mode would cut power to the wheels when the computer decided my driving was too aggressive.

Now that I've grown more comfortable driving my brand new car, and gotten over the HP fear (somewhat), I am finding they MDM mode is the way to really enjoy the M5.

Question for you enthusiasts, how crazy can you get in MDM mode before the computer kicks in to hopefully save your butt?

Obviously it lets the wheels spin and the back end pop out, but is it possible/likely that a "spin out" occurs?

Also - what are the best practices in MDM mode? Keep foot slammed and let the computer take over on straight lines? What about hard cornering, make steering/throttle corrections or hold the line and power (assuming reason of course)?

It goes without saying that all of this is done on the safety of my personal driveway but if I leave MDM mode on and have to make an evasive maneuver I would like to be prepared.
Can definitely spin out in MDM mode -- seen it. Would not advise running it in wet conditions. You always need to be mindful of the power of the current M5s and M6s. Driving smart and smooth is the ticket in any mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
MDM will never overcome the simple laws of physics. Keep that in mind.

From your post, you mention that you still have fear of the horsepower. I'd suggest a driving school or two to learn proper car control.

Honestly, for me, I haven't found the need to turn traction control to MDM mode for my daily driving and it hasn't stopped me from getting all of the needed performance out of the car.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

You can absolutely spin out.

Keep your foot planted and you will overdrive the car's nanny.
      04-30-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'eM 5 View Post

Would never recommend using MDM in the wet..but it's a lot of fun taking off from a stop with your foot planted to the floor..feeling all that power..the car wheel spinning through multiple gears...seriously it's a complete mess

As for the rear tires... not happy..
      04-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Not sure if mdm is much different in the e60, but i always use mdm be it wet or dry. I really throw it into corners and never been close to losing it, I regularly have to to give it an arm full of counter steer to help catch the slide, but I feel mdm does 99% of it for me.

I feel mdm has ruined my driving, when I go dsc off its seriously scary unless my tyres have 6mm+ on them and it's sunny and dry. Even then cornering fast is not comfortable for me.

At the moment my tyres are at 2-3mm, I have tried driving with dsc off in the dry. Even from a roll in the dry, over 6000 rpm in gear 2 it just completely loses traction and spins up. It's crazy.

Last edited by IshR; 04-30-2015 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #7
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
Not sure if mdm is much different in the e60, but i always use mdm be it wet or dry. I really throw it into corners and never been close to losing it, I regularly have to to give it an arm full of counter steer to help catch the slide, but I feel mdm does 99% of it for me.

I feel mdm has ruined my driving, when I go dsc off its seriously scary unless my tyres have 6mm+ on them and it's sunny and dry. Even then cornering fast is not comfortable for me.

At the moment my tyres are at 2-3mm, I have tried driving with dsc off in the dry. Even from a roll in the dry over, 6000 rpm in gear 2 it just completely loses traction and spins up. It's crazy.
mdm in e6*/e9* M cars is completely different from what mdm is in f1* cars

mdm in F1* M cars is nearly as bad as dsc off in e6*/9*
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #8
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
mdm in e6*/e9* M cars is completely different from what mdm is in f1* cars

mdm in F1* M cars is nearly as bad as dsc off in e6*/9*
Totally agree. I had Euro spec MDM in my E90 M3 and it was difficult to get it loose even then. WHOLE other story in the F10 M5!
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

I've spun out several times in MDM. I personally feel that DSC OFF is a bit safer because you know that stability is completely off and never wondering what limits the MDM is going to limit you to.

There was a great video on YouTube some Spanish driver made of the effects of DSC ON, MDM, and DSC OFF on the track. He clearly showed himself spinning out with MDM on in the video.

Additionally, as we all know, the MDM with the Competition Package is even less forgiving.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
msi200
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: M2

I've spun out with MDM on a race track. IMHO, MDM is worse than "all nannies off".
And again, don't use it in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

MDM is my wet mode and totally off for the dry
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Traction on - almost impossible to spin out
MDM - very possible to spin out when being overly aggressive, moreso on turn-in than corner exit
Traction off - very probable you will lose the rear at some point
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
Lual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 CP / X5 G05 ‘21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I've spun out several times in MDM. I personally feel that DSC OFF is a bit safer because you know that stability is completely off and never wondering what limits the MDM is going to limit you to.

There was a great video on YouTube some Spanish driver made of the effects of DSC ON, MDM, and DSC OFF on the track. He clearly showed himself spinning out with MDM on in the video.

Additionally, as we all know, the MDM with the Competition Package is even less forgiving.
This is the video you refer. He does three times same track. All in, on MDM, and all off

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYDF5MeDY_E
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

F10 sounds a little scary now. I'm going to have to do some track days before I upgrade.

I'm confident catching a slide when my tail break lose, but I'm scared of losing where the centre position is if I have to go full lock and take my hands off the steering wheel when dsc is off(normally I keep my hands planted at the quarter to three position). Once I've taken my hands off the steering wheel there's always the danger of going past central when straightening the wheels coming out of the slide and getting a tank slapper.

I really have to practice navigating the steering wheel from full lock quickly and accurately with dsc off. MDM in the e60 makes sliding way to easy to correct.

Last edited by IshR; 05-08-2015 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #15
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post
F10 sounds a little scary now. I'm going to have to do some track days before I upgrade.

I'm confident catching a slide when my tail break lose, but I'm scared of losing where the centre position is if I have to go full lock and take my hands off the steering wheel when dsc is off(normally I keep my hands planted at the quarter to three position). Once I've taken my hands off the steering wheel there's always the danger of going past central when straightening the wheels coming out of the slide and getting a tank slapper.

I really have to practice navigating the steering wheel from full lock quickly and accurately with dsc off. MDM in the e60 makes sliding way to easy to correct.
Because e60 has about 200 lb-ft less TQ

OP, MDM is safe if you respect the torque and don't do crazy things. I always drive in MDM except on wet roads, but I don't recommend it unless you have enough seat time on this monster and have done lots of practices.
I agree with GNALUZU about training and others about the possibility of spinning again if you don't respect the 550+ torque of a 4400 lb RWD car...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:47 AM   #16
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Honestly, if your worried about using MDM or traction off on the m5 just get some driver training.
Appreciate 0