M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

10-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Exclamation M5 vs Pana GTS vs RS7 vs M6GT ???? Looking at one on used market

Which one would you get?

I was originally just going to wait to get a 16' M3 and call it a day but then I kinda realized the car is too small for my needs right now. Already have "toy" cars so this needs to be my practical car.

Musts:

1) Fit 2 baby seats in rear
2) Have a large trunk for cargo as I would use for work often
3) Fun to drive so I don't feel the need to switch cars back / forth
4) Prefer a 6MT tranny if possible
5) Best price in the pre-owned market

I know all of these cars have awesome performance potential and it seems the M5 is the best choice since they depreciate the hardest. The RS7 and M6GT are holding near $100k it seems. I've seen a lot of 13' m5's go for mid $60's.

Love the Pana GTS but haven't found any nice ones thus far.

Given the above what would you guys pick? I know a few of the above choices do not offer a manual and I'm ok with that if at least the color is white

thanks fellas!

Been looking at autotrader and ebay daily but so far haven't seen anything, modded cars are ok, if you see anything point them my way!
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Given your requirements, others to consider, if money is no object:

- 6MT F80 M3. It's got decent trunk and rear space in the back seat. Does kind of scream boy-racer, not as much as the M4 though. Very capable car that can handle just about any situation though, just with less grace and professionalism than a real Business Sedan.

- Panamera S: Not GTS I know, but GTS's are just so uncommon and hard to find used for the one you want exactly.

- Panamera Turbo or Turbo S: Another option. Although with Panamera, I don't think you can get a manual.

- Used or New M5: One of the last true Business Sports Sedans to come with a Manual. Can do everything, except pump out the best lap times to compete with a BAC Mono. Even comes with a Power Close Trunk, which no other ///M car gets, super convenient.

- Used or New M6 Gran Coupe: Can get them with 6MT too, but not as big back seat, less utility than M5, although kid seats should fit just fine back there.

- Aston Martin Rapide: Beautiful design and V12 engine. No Manual Tranny though.

- RS7: I think this is one you should seriously consider. The Auto Tranny isn't that bad. Just as Vic55. Tons of space in back seat and trunk area, although not really a 3 seater in the back. Ridiculously fast.

- E63 Wagon: Lots of room, dated tech, can even come with CCB's though.

- 2015 C63 Sedan or Wagon: This is also one you should seriously consider waiting for. No Manual Tranny, but DCT and Twin Turbo V8. Interior looks great. The Wagon looks fantastic. Highly tunable engine possibilities too.

Lots of choices. Best thing coming out in the near future would be the C63 and it looks so very promising. Can't go wrong with Porsche Panamera as long as you don't mind the looks, best handling and driving feel out of anything weighing more than 4,000lbs. For those days of track ratting, there will be apexes when you wished you picked the F80 M3 over the F10 M5 or M6 Gran Coupe, for the other 364 days a year, you'll be enjoying the Bang & Olufsen, ventilated seats and butt massagers. RS7 rocket ship you can drive in any weather and show up those kids in the F10 M5 at stop light races when you just pump the pedal and womp out a 0-60 time of 3.2s bone stock, you'll miss the DCT and/or rowing your own gears though. Rapide if you go to a lot of cocktail parties or think the soundtrack of the Aston V12 is the same as listening to Pavarotti, which many do. E63 if you just can't decide what you want and then decide to put a crazy tune on the engine and win rolling races all day and all night.

Last edited by RPiM5; 10-20-2014 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
Which one would you get?
I am in your boat (recognize you from the E9x side...) I have an allocation for an F80, but feeling like I want something a step beyond in size and capability. I've been looking at a lot of same cars - Panny GTS, M5, M6 GC, E63 (wagon for me), X5M. I normally wouldn't be in the market for a new one and don't want the depreciation hit so focused on '13-'14 model years. Some thoughts:

M5: Big, fast, capable, comfortable. Downsides are a bit too quiet and not much sensation of speed. It's the default choice if I can find a '14 comp package in my price range.

M6 GC: Best looking one of the bunch bar none, otherwise same as above but different experience inside. Much tighter feeling inside, and the back seats are (unfortunately) nowhere near as practical. If you are looking at rear-facing child seats and over 6' it is going to be challenging. Need to see for yourself if you haven't been in one. Agree, they are holding right around $100k for a '14.

Panny GTS: I drove on and liked it a lot... It is a HUGE car, really is, just drives a lot smaller. I like the AWD and my kids loved the back seats. A bit on the flashy side for me at work. Wrestling with that wound up costing me a great deal. Was a '13 GTS with all the right options, low miles and Porsche certified for 88k. Still kicking myself, but I knew I couldn't do a bright red Panny at work.

E63: An absolute monster. Love the exterior styling, engine, sound, everything. Again, I really want a '14 for the AWD and you can't find the wagons below ~$95k. Better deals on sedans. Agree with RPI, the interior is not as nice nor is the tech but that didn't bother me.

X5M: Probably the least "special" but still fast and practical. Pretty good deals on low mileage 13s (mid-60s). I like the looks a lot better than the new one so works for me. The easiest choice just not sure I want an SUV right now.

Others I have considered include 991 C4S (too small/$$$), C63 507 (hard to find and going to get hit with the new one almost out), and RS7 (too much $$$...)

Feel like I will wind up with an M5 but we'll see. Just saw a perfect E60 M5 and the sound... Add another to the list!
      10-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep

We already have two SUV's in the family so don't want another box truck as I call it! Otherwise that would open up another can of worms (ML63, X5m, X6M, etc)

Seems like we are all cross-shopping the same cars

So far in my research and shopping, the RS7 is my top choice but it's priced out of what I want to spend for a DD, plus finding a pre-owned white or suzuka grey is near impossible in my price range.

I still have hopes of finding a certified Pana GTS since it's my top choice even though I can't row the gears. The PDK is such a smart and intuitive tranny that it's like an extension of my brain but acts quicker! I love how much cargo space it can haul with the seats folded down and totally agree with the statement it drives like a much smaller car until you look in the rearview mirror.

The M5 is the best executive all around car with space for 5 and stupid fast. Having the ability to maybe find a 6MT with a lower price tag is a huge bonus. I agree it's a bit sedate and isolated in road feel but hoping to add a nice exhaust and suspension to open it up a bit. So my goal right now is to find a well cared for 13/14 6MT white m5....

2016 M3 is still an option and no rush since not available yet. The one-piece front and rear seats is sort of a negative since I can't have headrest monitors for the kids. (this is an awesome add-on that the kids love on longer road trips). Price is in the range of the pre-owned M5.

Nothing against Mercedes since they build great cars/wagons but I really don't like the E63. I'd rather have the S-class at that point.

So for me at this point is a) Pana GTS b) M5
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

Quote:
...plus finding a pre-owned white or suzuka grey is near impossible in my price range.
There's your problem. 84% of ALL cars in California are white and grey. It's depressing as all hell that there is almost no color on the road.

Do the world a favor, buy a Sepang Pearl Blue RS7.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #6
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

I actually really loved the new M3/M4.. Plus the new M3 has just as much legroom as the M5. I would go for the new M3..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBM View Post
There's your problem. 84% of ALL cars in California are white and grey. It's depressing as all hell that there is almost no color on the road.

Do the world a favor, buy a Sepang Pearl Blue RS7.
Is this is the same blue found on the RS5? My buddies wife has one in that color and I love it too so no complaints there.

Wow is the m5 and new m3 cabin space really the same? I am headed to bmw later and will check it out more closely.
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

There is not a lot of room in the back of the M5 for adults. For kids no issue though. The M5 blends in where the others will stand out. What type of person are you? No wrong answers, but I find the M5 too undifferentiated from a standard 535i for my tastes. It is going on the block in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
There is not a lot of room in the back of the M5 for adults. For kids no issue though. The M5 blends in where the others will stand out. What type of person are you? No wrong answers, but I find the M5 too undifferentiated from a standard 535i for my tastes. It is going on the block in a few weeks.
Good point, the M5 is a very low key sedan. Can be both good and bad depending on the situation. They should have at least provided larger fenders or a more aggressive hood like they did with the M3/M4 cars.

So last weekend I was at the P-car dealer and by luck they just took a red RS7 in trade with 3000 miles on her. Apparently the owner switches cars quite often and this looked brand spanking new. Dealer wanted $110k for it so I think there must be wiggle room. Red is not my color but it had the light grey seats and the car looked so mean with that massive front grill!
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Good point, the M5 is a very low key sedan. Can be both good and bad depending on the situation. They should have at least provided larger fenders or a more aggressive hood like they did with the M3/M4 cars.

So last weekend I was at the P-car dealer and by luck they just took a red RS7 in trade with 3000 miles on her. Apparently the owner switches cars quite often and this looked brand spanking new. Dealer wanted $110k for it so I think there must be wiggle room. Red is not my color but it had the light grey seats and the car looked so mean with that massive front grill!
You can read up on my thread about my RS7 here but did you drive it? If you didnt and are going to, make sure to use the Dynamic modes and put the tranny in D-S (not just D).... mash go repeat

Edit:

here is my thread:

Click Here
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I disagree, I have fit 3 full size adults in the back seat before and none of them had issues with space. I have also fit a family of 4 plus the driver (me) in the M5 and again, everyone was very comfortable. Have you ever sat in the back seat of an M6 Gran Coupe? It's tight and can only fit 2 people back there. The RS7 really isn't that much better except for lots of headroom, but still there are only two dedicated seats in the back of the RS7. The F80 M3's back seat is roomy but not spacious. It's not nearly as wide as the M5 is. The only way to get more back room is to go to a 7-Series, S-Class, or A8. For those that value that back seat spaciousness and still want some performance, it'll be a good thing that the ///M7 is coming out in a couple of years.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
You can read up on my thread about my RS7 here but did you drive it? If you didnt and are going to, make sure to use the Dynamic modes and put the tranny in D-S (not just D).... mash go repeat

Edit:

here is my thread:

Click Here
Vic has written the best review on the RS7 I have ever read. Listen to Vic, he's a good dude.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Vic has written the best review on the RS7 I have ever read. Listen to Vic, he's a good dude.
Lies Lies Lies
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Edit:

here is my thread:

Click Here

thanks Vic, just read your thread and posted there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I disagree, I have fit 3 full size adults in the back seat before and none of them had issues with space. I have also fit a family of 4 plus the driver (me) in the M5 and again, everyone was very comfortable. Have you ever sat in the back seat of an M6 Gran Coupe? It's tight and can only fit 2 people back there. The RS7 really isn't that much better except for lots of headroom, but still there are only two dedicated seats in the back of the RS7. The F80 M3's back seat is roomy but not spacious. It's not nearly as wide as the M5 is. The only way to get more back room is to go to a 7-Series, S-Class, or A8. For those that value that back seat spaciousness and still want some performance, it'll be a good thing that the ///M7 is coming out in a couple of years.
I would have to agree here, the M6GC rear hits my head for sure. The Pana has the most leg room however it only seats 4 just like the RS7. I have sat in the new M3 and it's better than the only e90 m3, however it's not as wide as the M5 for sure. If I was 1/3 adults in the backseats, I would pick the M5 it's definitely got the most space not counting big cars like the S-class.
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Lies Lies Lies
LOL!

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #16
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Lies Lies Lies
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

RS7 doing 10.1 LOL

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #18
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
...The M5 blends in where the others will stand out. What type of person are you? No wrong answers, but I find the M5 too undifferentiated from a standard 535i for my tastes...
Yes, that's me. I want a performance car without the need to express I have a performance car. Perhaps, I'm reminiscing, but when I was in high school it was called a sleeper. There's only so many choices and frankly any of the M cars are sufficiently different for my taste without screaming "look at me.". Agree, no wrong answers. I needed a little more room then my E92 M3, but also wanted a little more luxury and power. I tested the E63 S and RS7 as well. The Audi was extremely tempting and faster. But, I like the look and feel of the BMW. Hopefully, I chose wisely. Time will tell.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #19
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Seen a black on black RS7 the other day at my local starbucks and as much as I love my M5 Looks but this car is so mean and exclusivity is key here too!

This car is the sleeper because not even 1 out of 10 lay people know what RS7 is in the first place! Or even imagine that it can be even as fast or if you will faster than an M5 which is ok if you are not looking for "look at me" type of car ! Though it is a very look at me in its own rights but people will see it as "What is this beautiful Audi?" As how many non car enthusiasts or there had been following Audi up to the RS level? Seriously? Compared to 3 decades of M5's defining this niche? !!

While M5 remains the pinnacle of fast sports sedan and still leading the pack by a very narrow margin that's been erodingb over the years with toughest competition, yet becoming a little too known dare i say stale? !! even kids in the streets know what M5 is which is one of the reasons why I chose it and this tells you people are different but exclusive & M5 sounds like am oxymoron to me! ! -

Having said that there's not a single car in the market that's been able to make me think about replacing my M5 so far after almost 1 year of ownership - which is a stretch for me !

Last edited by soooma; 10-31-2014 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #20
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

Get an RS7 and don't look back, you wont be disappointed!

I was comparing these cars a few months ago and am glad I went the way I did. The only thing you might miss is the activity on the forum, seems ///M forums are the most active, as far as what I have been on.
2019 Audi Q8
Appreciate 0