M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

09-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Break in period european delivery M5

Guys quick couple questions.
How many of you are going to do ED for the M5 and do the break in Service in Europe?

I am facing an issue. My family and I will do between 1.2k to 1.4k miles. We can do break in service in Italy, as that is where we am going.

Here are my questions:

Is it worth the time and Money to do the service? I read somewhere that the dealer will later pay you back for the service, or is that a myth?

Is it okay if we dont do the service until 1.5k for example?

How trustful are the dealers in Italy? They do know to reprogram it for full power right? Change the oil and etc?

Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post

Is it worth the time and Money to do the service? I read somewhere that the dealer will later pay you back for the service, or is that a myth?Thanks in advance.
Not true, but if you save your service receipt for the break-in service BMWNA will reimburse you.

What causes you to believe the IT dealers don't know what they are doing?

dk
      09-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post

What causes you to believe the IT dealers don't know what they are doing?

dk
Since there are not many threads on this related topic, I decided to google it. I came across one thread where an 1M owner said that when he decided to do his break in service in Greece, they had no idea what a 1M even was. So I was just wondering if I should wait till it gets the US. I calculated about 1,400 miles in total.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

I think if I were that close to 1200 miles I'd wait to have it serviced in the US when you take re-delivery. I put almost 3,000 miles on my M5 and had it serviced near London.

dk
      09-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I think if I were that close to 1200 miles I'd wait to have it serviced in the US when you take re-delivery. I put almost 3,000 miles on my M5 and had it serviced near London.

dk
My car just went on the boat with 1,403 miles; I'll have the service done by my dealer before I take the car home.

FWIW, I know one other ED M5 owner that picked up his car September 1st and had a local dealer do the service. He had to make arrangements in advance as the dealer didn't keep the F10 M5 parts (oil filter plus ???) in stock. In addition, there aren't that many F10 M5s running around Europe, your's may be the first one the dealer has ever seen. I didn't want them to learn on my car and in reality I don't think there's anything particularly magic about "1,200." But I wonldn't go too far over.

Also, the reimbursement you get from BMW NA (actually your dealer gets reimbursed by NA) will be at the amount your dealer would have charged, not necessarily what you had to pay in Europe.
Appreciate 0