M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

Closed Thread

10-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Annoyed with shipping delay.

I dropped off my M5 on 9/23. Since then 3 boats have left or are leaving without my car:

Don Juan 9/25 (I didn't expect to be on this one)
Integrity 10/1 (I expected to be on this)
Queen Sapphire 10/3
Porgy 10/10. (They scheduled my car for this)

So it will have been sitting in Germany for 2.5 weeks before shipping. This is ridiculous. I won't have the car till mid November losing about 2 weeks of usage.

What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I don't know there's much you can do, since your car will likely arrive within BMW's stated timeframe of 6-8 weeks to the east coast. However I understand your frustration, mine sat at port for 19 days (9/10 to 9/29). Seems ridiculous that it would sit and wait that long, especially as other ships were departing to the west coast. But it will still be within (or most likely beat) BMW's west coast delivery timeline of 8-10 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
What makes this doubly frustrating is that they also screwed me on the delivery date. When I submitted the Individual order they sat on it for 4 weeks and then came back and said they needed an extra 2 weeks since they didn't have space in the schedule. However they hadn't checked the schedule till 4 weeks after I submitted the Individual request. So from my point of view it is a month late not 2 weeks late.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Well my sat from 9/16 to 9/30.

A full two weeks.

I have no idea why i did not make it to Fidelio. But I am on cepheus leader which just left south Hampton.
      10-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
mgallen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I dropped off my M5 on 9/23. Since then 3 boats have left or are leaving without my car:

Queen Sapphire 10/3

So it will have been sitting in Germany for 2.5 weeks before shipping. This is ridiculous. I won't have the car till mid November losing about 2 weeks of usage.

What should I do?
I dropped mine off at the Munich airport on 9/25.

How do you find out which boat you're on? I'd like to check mine to see if it's scheduled for the same boat as your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
chillin4now
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M, 458 Spider

This seems to be about average. I dropped mine off on 9/18 and I (beleive) it is on the Integrity, due to leave any second now. I figure it is not all bad, since I am optomistally hoping the oil pump crap will all be figured out when it arrives at the VDC on 10/20. Plus they will have been able to practice retrofitting a few by the time they get to mine.

ps. were you pleased with your high fat content cream colored interior? I assume you were delighted.
      10-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly-dee View Post
This seems to be about average. I dropped mine off on 9/18 and I (beleive) it is on the Integrity, due to leave any second now. I figure it is not all bad, since I am optomistally hoping the oil pump crap will all be figured out when it arrives at the VDC on 10/20. Plus they will have been able to practice retrofitting a few by the time they get to mine.

ps. were you pleased with your high fat content cream colored interior? I assume you were delighted.
Not really. You were 3 days ahead of me on drop off. If we had same timing, my car would be on Sapphire Dream leaving this Weds.

I have a 2.5 week shipping wait which I think is exceptional. Normally you end up on the second boat, not the fourth boat. Your car is being shipped on the second boat to leave Bremerhaven.

I will be inspecting the mileage on my car very carefully when it arrives at dealer, and if more than 5 miles are added, I will assume somebody used it as a loaner car in Germany and raise hell.

I love the whipped cream interior. Looks fantastic. How is your car? Haven't seen pics...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
VPM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

Garage List
i dropped off monday 9/24 and rec'd confirmation today that I'm on the Porgy as well 10/10...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
What makes this doubly frustrating is that they also screwed me on the delivery date. When I submitted the Individual order they sat on it for 4 weeks and then came back and said they needed an extra 2 weeks since they didn't have space in the schedule. However they hadn't checked the schedule till 4 weeks after I submitted the Individual request. So from my point of view it is a month late not 2 weeks late.
Now i really feel your pain. I had to cancel piano black trim in order to keep my ED date. Fortunately the aluminum looks good with the sakhir.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:

Queen Sapphire 10/3

What should I do?
Have a snickers, welcome to the club. Car dropped off 9/4 and left port 9/25.
Good thing its hunting season, seems to take the edge off sitting in a tree with a ready bow in hand.
SICK
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #11
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I guess that's one of the drawback in doing the ED. The wait.. Kills you.
      10-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:

What should I do?

I guess you shouldn't do ED if this is unacceptable to you. If you had done some research you would have known 2-3 weeks is typical at this time of year for a Munich or Frankfurt drop - longer if elsewhere. You will receive your car within BMWNA's published guidelines providing there isn't a Customs delay or repair required at the VDC.

After 11 ED's I've learned to roll with it as 1) you have no control and 2) there are a lot of variables in the ED process.
      10-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
mgallen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Black

Hi,

My car is scheduled to arrive at the Brunswick, GA port on 10/29. Based on your ED experiences, how many days after 10/29 will it take for my dealership to have the car so that I can take re-delivery? My car did NOT have the oil pump issue, so there isn't any repair work to be done.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallen View Post
Hi,

My car is scheduled to arrive at the Brunswick, GA port on 10/29. Based on your ED experiences, how many days after 10/29 will it take for my dealership to have the car so that I can take re-delivery? My car did NOT have the oil pump issue, so there isn't any repair work to be done.

Thanks
If the car is in mint condition, it should clear customs within 3 days and be on way to dealer within 4 days. If there is any reconditioning to do - scratches, dings, paint chips, etc. then it may add a week.

Once en route to dealer, it depends where you live. to South Florida it normally takes 3 days, within GA it can be 1-2 days.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I guess you shouldn't do ED if this is unacceptable to you. If you had done some research you would have known 2-3 weeks is typical at this time of year for a Munich or Frankfurt drop - longer if elsewhere. You will receive your car within BMWNA's published guidelines providing there isn't a Customs delay or repair required at the VDC.

After 11 ED's I've learned to roll with it as 1) you have no control and 2) there are a lot of variables in the ED process.
I have done ED multiple times before too and it is not typical to be on the fourth boat. The normal standard is the second boat, maybe the third. I have never been on the fourth boat.

Don't be an idiot and act as if you are the only one with multiple ED experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have done ED multiple times before too and it is not typical to be on the fourth boat. The normal standard is the second boat, maybe the third. I have never been on the fourth boat.

Don't be an idiot and act as if you are the only one with multiple ED experience.
After multiple ED's you then know the variabilities on trucking to the port, vessel assignment, stops enroute, customs, VDC, etc are numerous. The 4th boat isn't customary but I've had an M5 hit the 5th boat - so the 4th is in the realm of 3 sigma.

You posed the question to the board "What should I do?" You can complain but you can't change it - so relax

No need to be insulting
      10-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
After multiple ED's you then know the variabilities on trucking to the port, vessel assignment, stops enroute, customs, VDC, etc are numerous. The 4th boat isn't customary but I've had an M5 hit the 5th boat - so the 4th is in the realm of 3 sigma.

You posed the question to the board "What should I do?" You can complain but you can't change it - so relax

No need to be insulting
4th boat is simply not normal if you do a drop off in Munich, and communicate your drop off date 5 months in advance.

BMW would love all customers to have incredibly low expectations like you do, but that doesn't mean that their poor operational coordination is normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
Bnicely
Bnicely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Its funny, I just mentioned to a friend that when the car gets here, the car gets here. I am blessed to have such high end problems as when my car will arrive from a two week dream vacation to europe in which bmw paid my insurance, provided food and drink, comraderie, 7% off the list, and a nice little key chain. I talked to the car wash guys yesterday and they told me I was lucky, lucky to have the chance to even buy an M5 and drive it in Europe, and you know what, they are oh so right! So when it gets here it gets here and that day will be flipping great whether its a month from now or a week from now. My $.02. Peace out.
      10-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
4th boat is simply not normal if you do a drop off in Munich, and communicate your drop off date 5 months in advance.
Immaterial to the issue. Process for vessel assignment of ED cars does not begin until the car is in the hands of the logistics agent; in your case, LogInOut.

I did not state 4th boat was "normal", I said the time from drop to loading was within "normal limits". Are you not going to receive your car within the 6-8 week guidelines published by BMW?

Perhaps you should instruct AG the error of their ways and advise them of your high expectations next ED?
      10-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Racer Louis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:

Queen Sapphire 10/3

What should I do?
Let me see if I understand, you signed a contract to purchase a 2013 M5 under BMW's European Delivery plan. Included in the ED plan is the statement:

"All cars depart from Bremerhaven, Germany. It will take approximately 6-8 weeks to the East coast and 8-10 weeks to the West Coast from drop off date for a car to arrive at your BMW center for final delivery."

Based upon the information you've provided it apppears BMW will perform in accordance with the contract. You're unhappy about that.

I'm confused, you seem to be unhappy with the contract you signed, not BMW's performance. If that's the case you shouldn't have agreed to the offered terms and should not have signed the contract.

So how should I read your complaints? I can assume that your assumption (for which you didn't offer support) that your car should have been loaded on an earlier ship is correct or I can assume that BMW knows better than you what it takes to get a car from the dropoff point to the dock and onto a ship that has room for it going where it needs to go to get to your dealer. I would guess BMW is likely to know more about what it takes than you do since you likely don't know what you don't know and they know what is involved in getting the car to you.

So in the final analysis you seem to be unhappy with what you agreed to; BMW is doing what they said they'd do.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Anticipation is the best part. And we get to experience it twice. That's how I look at it. Plus, I have been doing victory laps / swan song trips with my E60 and loving it. The F10 is so effortless to drive, but the E60 stil delivers the goods when pushed hard.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread