Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Jeffa32
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Bringing my M5 F10 back to Australia

Hi All,

I am due to return to Australia from the UK in about 6 months and am considering bringing my M5 F10 2012 back with me. I can do this under the personal import scheme.

I know there has been a fair amount written about whether you can make money on bringing a valuable car back. To honest, I am not fussed either way, but curious to find out what the members of this forum think this vehicle would be worth in Australia.

The value of this car in the UK is about 50K pounds (approx $75K Aus) and it will cost about another $25K Aus to import. The car has done 32000kms and has a full BMW service history and is unmarked inside or out.

Red Book put the value of a 2012 M5 at $167K. Thinking my car might be worth $130K. Be interested to hear you views.

Given I paid 65K pounds (approx $100K), I can either sell here and drop $20K or bring with me a potentially make $35K - so $55K between UK buy price and potential Aus sell price.

The Aus reg F10's are higher spec but mine has quiet a few options to close the spec gap. The features that are missing are:

1. Surround View
2. Sun blinds rear and side (mine has sun protection glass)
3. Active seat ventilation
4. TV

I would also buy a kph cluster to fit if I brought it over.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by Jeffa32; 07-11-2013 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
ASHM3/5/6
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Hey there,

Yep we get absolutely done over down here for any high end car. As you would know the sticker price is circa $250k new on an M5.

This is a great idea in theory however having just sold my '07 M6 I have since figured out that there are two markets in Australia. There is a premium paid for Oz Delivered cars and then a secondary market for used imports. The difference can be large.

For example a month ago I sold my 07 M6 for $105k - it had 40kms on it. People were fighting over it at that price too. Imports with similar amount of k's on them are still for sale at $65-80k. A couple of buyers also outlined and wanted to check mine was Oz delievered as they didnt want to buy an import. Let me show off - Ill attach a photo (I miss her!)

IMO definitely worth importing the car - just dont expect to get close to the money of the Oz delivered cars though.

If you look at the NZ market (www.trademe.co.nz) you will see the difference between NZ and UK new cars - A NZ m5 second hand will run you 170-180 where a uk import will be 120-140.

Hope this is somewhat useful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Hi Guys

I was in the actual situation of choosing here in NZ, between a UK import and an NZ one. There is a gap of about 15% or even 20% in value verses NZ new (we call it) and import (which could be from japan etc also)

Reason I went NZ new, one they did a great trade on my m3, I got the factory warranty and the dealer "hug" and they made it easy. Your on your own if it blows up basically - dealers don't really like the imports!

If i was you Jeffa and you wish to keep the car definitely bring it in, get an established company to do it for you all the docs etc.

I have lots of friends who have very successfully brought cars in - you have to be super careful with the documentation particularly around emission spec's (read: trade barriers) to make sure your car has the right sticker on it - no sticker and its back on the boat! - happened to a friend trying to bring a middle aged rangie in...

So given how much they are to buy in Aus I'd go for it, drive it for a couple of years and buy a warranty on its first day in Aus!

Cheers
stu