Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

2018 M5 Info

Not sure how much of this is out already

I was invited to preview the new 7 Series at the BMW Design Studio in Newbury Park California. They did a great job with the 7. During the event I met a couple of BMW VP’s from Germany and the US, and asked how much of the tech from the new 7 will find it’s way to the 2018 M5, and what else could they tell me about the 2018 M5. These are highlights of what I was told.

-New 5 Series in arrives in Fall 2016 as a 2017 Model
-M5 production for the US probably starting in July 2017
-The AWD system will have a switch to turn it off to function in RWD only.
-5 Generation I Drive on the M5 with hand motion sensor and touch screen. I tried it on the new 7. When you motion your hand to the right, it answered a phone call. When you motion left, it ended the phone call. The touch screen worked well, you are able to zoom in and out on maps.
-The new Smart Key from the 7 will be included on the M5 which has a LED touch screen. Reminded me of the screen on an Apple Watch. You can swipe left or right to change the climate and various other functions.
-Weight Reduction using Carbon Fiber
-The New 7 had an amazing Bowers & Wilkins 1400W Stereo that blew away the B & O in my M5. Hopefully that makes it too.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Thanks for sharing.
I think those dates make sense; However I expect 2018 M5 arrives in US in Fall 2017
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:57 PM   #3
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
That's great info. Any hints dropped about the engine - 6 or 8 cylinder? Also, overall dimensions getting any smaller?
      05-27-2015, 04:09 AM   #4
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Sounds good not sure I'll make the leap from the F10.....
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Switch from awd to rwd? Is that a fact?
I hate awd, I want a rwd only car.

If the switch is kept in rwd mode, will it be just as efficient as a normal rwd only setup. I hate the power loss at higher speeds in awd transmission.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

^ that could mean one more thing can go wrong with complex electronics
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
Not sure how much of this is out already

I was invited to preview the new 7 Series at the BMW Design Studio in Newbury Park California. They did a great job with the 7. During the event I met a couple of BMW VP’s from Germany and the US, and asked how much of the tech from the new 7 will find it’s way to the 2018 M5, and what else could they tell me about the 2018 M5. These are highlights of what I was told.

-New 5 Series in arrives in Fall 2016 as a 2017 Model
-M5 production for the US probably starting in July 2017
-The AWD system will have a switch to turn it off to function in RWD only.
-5 Generation I Drive on the M5 with hand motion sensor and touch screen. I tried it on the new 7. When you motion your hand to the right, it answered a phone call. When you motion left, it ended the phone call. The touch screen worked well, you are able to zoom in and out on maps.
-The new Smart Key from the 7 will be included on the M5 which has a LED touch screen. Reminded me of the screen on an Apple Watch. You can swipe left or right to change the climate and various other functions.
-Weight Reduction using Carbon Fiber
-The New 7 had an amazing Bowers & Wilkins 1400W Stereo that blew away the B & O in my M5. Hopefully that makes it too.
SSMT, thank you very much for sharing this info. There are some new pieces of information that you have shared here, even if unofficial and off the record. Most of it sounds credible and plausible though.

- New 5 Series in arrives in Fall 2016 as a 2017 Model. Yes we have known for a while now that the new 5-Series will arrive in Fall of 2016. The end of production for the F10 5-Series has already been publicly announced by BMW. The 2016 5-Series will run from July 2015 - October 2016. If production switches over to the G30 5-Series that same month in October that would make sense.

- M5 production for the US probably starting in July 2017. It has been heavily speculated that BMW will completely break tradition and not offer 6 model years for the F10 M5 as they did for the E39 and E60. Your info saying that the next generation M5 will arrive around July of 2017 further proves this. We know for a fact that BMW always skips a model year between M5 generations. So we know that a 2017 M5 will not exist, and that the next gen M5 will arrive as a 2018 Model beginning production in the summer of 2017. Historically, ///M Division has never offered the 1st model year of the new generation of M5 to the USA, hence why no American owns a 1998 e39 M5, 2005 E60 M5, or 2012 F10 M5, therefore we may accurately guess that the 2018 M5 will not be available for Americans and that Americans will have to wait until the summer of 2018 to get their shiny new 2019 M5's. But again this is only speculation and perhaps M Division won't do this to Americans this next go around, as it did not occur when the F80 M3 was released and by the fact that we are most likely only going to get 5 Model Years of the F10 M5.

- The AWD system will have a switch to turn it off to function in RWD only. This is a new and almost surprising piece of information. If true, we have to wonder how exactly they would execute such a feature. On one hand it does sound promising. On the other, we know that something like this will only increase complexity, cost, and perhaps reliability. There is no doubt that M will drastically decrease the weight of the next M5 over the F10, but adding any kind of AWD system, even if it can be de-activated at the push of a button, will only add the weight back on. I however, have no doubt that M will be able to find a balance between an AWD system and weight control. The next question is how will they do it? Will it be a true AWD system like in an Audi, or will it be something more advanced like in an i8 or a Ferrari FF? The bad news is that AWD or not, we can pretty much kiss goodbye to ///M steering feel, with the next system being electric.

- 5 Generation I Drive on the M5 with hand motion sensor and touch screen. This was a given. Most of the technology from the F01 made it into the F10 M5, with the exception of some uber-luxury technology. One feature that I really really hope that makes it into the next generation M5, is the door hold feature that the 7-Series has. Soft Close doors are awesome but I'm tired of not being able to keep the door still after I swing it open. Would be a big improvement in luxury if the M5 had doors that held themselves open.

- The new Smart Key from the 7 will be included on the M5 which has a LED touch screen. I think this is given as well. A lot of technology that was developed for the i8 and i3 will flow into the rest of BMW's line up in the future, including the Smart Key.

- Weight Reduction using Carbon Fiber. We definitely knew this, but we will be wondering for some time to come by how much. I'm still betting on a sub 4,000lbs curb weight for the next M5. For the next M6, I'm betting on a sub 3,700lbs curb weight.

- The New 7 had an amazing Bowers & Wilkins 1400W Stereo that blew away the B & O in my M5. Hopefully that makes it too. Now this is cool. You are lucky that you got to hear the new B&W system. I'm sure that it was badass. I just hope that in the future BMW doesn't charge Audi or Porsche prices for it.

The biggest question is still what will the powerplant and drivetrain be for the next M5. I don't want another M5 that has a more muted engine with 10x more Active Sound Design worked into the cabin, even if it can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

Last edited by RPiM5; 05-27-2015 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I thought there was going to be a bias towards rear wheel drive with the switch, 80-20 or something like that. If you are able to deactivate all wheel drive completely for rear wheel drive why wouldn't every high end enthusiastic auto maker do the same, Porsche, Mercedes, they all have all wheel drive now. I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
As an card-carrying audiophile, this makes me happy.

f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
I thought there was going to be a bias towards rear wheel drive with the switch, 80-20 or something like that. If you are able to deactivate all wheel drive completely for rear wheel drive why wouldn't every high end enthusiastic auto maker do the same, Porsche, Mercedes, they all have all wheel drive now. I don't get it.
+1
A rear wheel bias AWD system sounds more realistic to me.
      05-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

It's one thing to have a rear biased AWD system or even one that can electronically swing the bias either way based on some set of parameters. But to be able to switch it off implies a couple things.

First it means that the center differential is opening completely. Piece of cake with an e-diff. However, this results in the entire FWD system (hubs, axles, front diff, front driveshaft) all freewheeling. That would feel terrible and create a lot of drivetrain drag. Not very efficient nor desirable.

Perhaps there's an e-diff in the front. Same problems but to a lesser degree. Still freewheeling a lot up front, but now driving the front driveshaft which is also inefficient.

Then there's e-hubs which could disconnect the wheels from the system and any other combination of above. This all, of course, gets heavier and more complex than just leaving AWD functioning 100% of the time for improved traction and cornering, which is the point in the first place, I assume.

My money is on a full time AWD system that has variable front-rear bias based on all the usual inputs including driver selectable settings (comfort, sport, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

AWD just for the sake of keeping up with Audi and MB? You're turning the M5 into the competition. AWD will add weight, reduce steering, and feel crummy. If I wanted a 0-60 in 3 seconds flat luxury car, I'd get the RS7. That's not what I want in a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The New 7 had an amazing Bowers & Wilkins 1400W Stereo that blew away the B & O in my M5. Hopefully that makes it too. Now this is cool. You are lucky that you got to hear the new B&W system. I'm sure that it was badass. I just hope that in the future BMW doesn't charge Audi or Porsche prices for it.

That B & W system is already in my new Volvo I am picking up from Sweden in July: http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/speak...tem-for-volvo/

Oh, and fingers crossed for summer 2018 first deliveries of the new M5. I will take all of these listed features and more.... until then I think new M2 to play with may be in my future.
      05-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1Pilot View Post
That B & W system is already in my new Volvo I am picking up from Sweden in July: http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/speak...tem-for-volvo/

Oh, and fingers crossed for summer 2018 first deliveries of the new M5. I will take all of these listed features and more.... until then I think new M2 to play with may be in my future.
That's awesome man. I had no idea that Volvo was putting that system in their cars/SUV's. How much does Volvo charge for the upgrade?

Also, on the M2, I think it will be an excellent stop gap until the next M5/M6 come out. More nimble than the M4 at a cheaper price, but not as fast because of less power. I personally think the M2 will be a hit for BMW M and will receive massive praise as being the one car BMW makes that will remind it's drivers of BMW's heritage in racing.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

I wouldn't be surprised if the engine is just a carryover from the current one. It is already underrated, a tweak here and there, would have 650HP+ no problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBM View Post
AWD just for the sake of keeping up with Audi and MB? You're turning the M5 into the competition. AWD will add weight, reduce steering, and feel crummy. If I wanted a 0-60 in 3 seconds flat luxury car, I'd get the RS7. That's not what I want in a BMW.
I'm with you but if you read some threads you will figure out there are people
who want a GT sedan "light" and "fast" and "powerful" can go 0-60 in 3 second
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBM View Post

AGREE 100%

If BMW go the awd route, I will no longer be an m-car fan. Actually if I want a fast awd car I'll probably buy an Audi RS6, that's what the rs6 has always stood for - big fat awd estate which goes like stonk in a straight line but is boring as boiled potatoes to drive.

I don't care if there are ppl that want a fast powerful get car that can do 0-60 in 3seconds, they belong in the Audi/Mercedes/Porsche garage. Not the BMW garage!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the engine is just a carryover from the current one. It is already underrated, a tweak here and there, would have 650HP+ no problem.
No offense to anyone here, but I will get on a plane, fly to Munich, and throw a rock in the M Studio window if they put the exact same engine in the next M5, even if it is re-tweaked to produce more power and torque. The BMW M engine has always been the center piece of what makes an M car an M car. Even the new S55, even though it sounds like crap, is still a masterpiece of engineering. They just need to come up with some new and exciting like they have ALWAYS done. The BMW X5M and X6M are the exception to the rule since they don't have real M roots anyways and still use automatic transmissions out of necessity.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #19
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
The AWD WILL be variable/switchable. (from a credible source)
Steering feel and more weight is also a variable we'll have to wait and see about.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #20
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No offense to anyone here, but I will get on a plane, fly to Munich, and throw a rock in the M Studio window if they put the exact same engine in the next M5, even if it is re-tweaked to produce more power and torque. The BMW M engine has always been the center piece of what makes an M car an M car. Even the new S55, even though it sounds like crap, is still a masterpiece of engineering. They just need to come up with some new and exciting like they have ALWAYS done. The BMW X5M and X6M are the exception to the rule since they don't have real M roots anyways and still use automatic transmissions out of necessity.
Don't worry Dave. They don't put the same engine. S63 originally designed in 2009 based on N63 platform (2008) . By the time next M5 comes out this engine is almost 10 years old.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #21
Lual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 CP / X5 G05 ‘21

Maybe we should start a thread with our wish list on the new M5...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #22
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
Don't worry Dave. They don't put the same engine. S63 originally designed in 2009 based on N63 platform (2008) . By the time next M5 comes out this engine is almost 10 years old.
I hope you are right dude!

But let's be specific here. BMW is not Porsche. I like how Porsche improves a proven design for the GT3 engines. The latest one is one of the best engines in production today.

BMW M just better not put a 6cyl engine or another same configuration Hot-V Twin Turbo V8.

We have seen speculation that the next 550i or 560i, may very well have a Quad Turbo Inline 6. Then there is the info that Scott26 dropped that B-1 Pilot told us all about with the future eDrive power train.

Appreciate 0