Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #23
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dudes, chillax. It's not that big a deal. Otherwise please take these discussions to the F8x side of the forums where such things persist often.

If not, I'll have to call big daddy Vic and ColdList and maybe Boots for backup. You don't want that.
LOL....
You are funny...And your point is valid about F8X side.... it's always like this... any thread... any time... any one ....
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #24
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I've noticed it's never good to be named Buddy or Chief on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #25
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Damn, I should probably read a manual. I have a 550 and have no idea what some of the lights mean and there are no where near the amount of lights an M5 has.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #26
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I've noticed it's never good to be named Buddy or Chief on the internet.
Friction is a good thing... It's how diamonds are made.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #27
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
LOL. I am smiling ear-to-ear that someone picked up that one.
He he. It's all good bro. We all have our disagreements and I've had my fair share too. It's over now as our Daddy RpiDave gave both of you a internet spanking. We now return to our regular scheduled thread of," I just didn't realize".
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
Haha. Would love to meet you guys in our f10s (mine is in the way) some time. There is a real difference between the ass clowns on M3/4 forums and here.
This is Adults Only section. ;-)

f.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #29
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
MDM isn't actually all that bad even in wet conditions. It's just that you have to be careful if you are in a turn and have MDM engaged and then mash the throttle while you are in a turn. The M Dynamic Mode in the F10 M5 will let you do a full drift, whereas in the E60 M5 it would not. MDM is supposed to be considered the half way Stability Control Off mode, but in the F10 M5 it's more like 75% Off. With the Competition Package it's even worse, it's almost like 90% Off. The MDM with the Comp Package is programmed for greater slip angles.

In the E60 M5, the MDM was never really considered lethal because the V10 had no torque down low. With the S63tu engine though, the torque will definitely break the tires loose in an instant. I myself have done full drifts in MDM mode on the F10 M5. I will just say that MDM is a pretty good feature but I think it could use a bit more intervention to keep the car from drifting completely. DSC ON works perfectly for that though. There is a good video out there somewhere with some guy showing the difference between DSC ON, MDM, and DSF OFF on the racetrack. In the video he demonstrated that how with MDM you can still spin out.

I do use MDM on occasion, but I am always careful with it when the car is in a turn.
This ^ how I would of explained it.

Plus this: MDM is not fool proof.
Drive smart drive safe.

Most cars you don't need to read the manual. The M5 is a drivers car. It's like buying a new yacht. You need to know your shit before going out to play.. and there are things you need to know.
      02-08-2015, 01:14 AM   #30
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Ray:

I own a F10 M5 and I have read the manual twice. It really is stimulating reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #31
alvinabed
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 13 AWSO M5,16 DGMR X5M

Garage List
Quote:
This doesn't make much sense. How could you have been in MDM mode and not have known it? The only ways to engage MDM is to program it into one of the steering wheel buttons or to press the DSC button on the center console. If you program the steering wheel button, there is a confirm action that requires you to press the M steering wheel button again, there is even a warning that pops up on the instrument cluster to confirm your action. With the center console button, you have to deliberately move your finger to press the button. MDM mode is not engaged automatically when you start up the car. Also, how could one miss the bright yellow MDM light in the middle of the instrument cluster, that says MDM? If some bright yellow light was in front of me, it would draw my attention and I would find out what it meant. Usually yellow means caution, and it is worth investigating. So I'm just wondering how could a person not know they are in MDM mode, when it takes some effort to get into it??

Also, since you've been using MDM all this time, you should be a better driver than most of the M5 drivers on this board by now. Lol!
+1
upgrades: RKP front spoiler, M performance carbon spoiler, 3D design rear carbon diffuser, KW HAS Sleeve Kit, Akrapovic Evolution Carbon tips, ind black LCI front and rear grills, GruppeM RAM intake, 20" HRE P104 satin charcoal with PSS tires)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #32
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

If you are under hard acceleration and shift up in a turn, chances are the ass will kick out.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #33
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

Dont be hard on the OP. Im sure most of us here still dont know EVERYTHING about the F10 M5. Im ashamed to admit it took me 6 months to find out where the heated steering wheel button was! (its right on the steering wheel in my X5 but they tried to hide it on the M5!)
I love MDM in the summer on dry roads but i was driving in manhattan last summer and it started pouring out of nowhere, i was slowly driving over one of the metal covers that they use during roadwork and almost went sideways into a cab! Lesson learnt. MDM should be respected at ALL times!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #34
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Don't be so hard on him. Modern Day M cars are not easy to learn. But yeah in Germany, the general population understands that cars on the road are part of a greater system where they need to drive a certain way to be efficient. They understand traffic system efficiency 1000% better than Americans do. Truth be told I'm still learning stuff about the M5 all the time.
Ditto.

I recently moving into an M6 from an M5 and drove 2 weeks w/ all nannies off. As it turns out, the hold on the 'traction control button' in my M6 is much shorter to disengage traction control - I did this while programming my M2 button. In hindsight I now realize it said TRACTION CONTROL OFF and the MDM light wasn't on but honestly didn't pay as close attention as I should have. Once done, I was in the habit of double tapping my M2 button immediately after start up without looking. This essentially repeated the mistake every time.

Was a blast but realized I had too much rubber left behind and more play than MDM w/ my back end. I assumed it was the comp package (I thought the slip percentage is a bit higher) ....wrong.

At any rate, I thankfully was taking it easy and never got into any trouble but I quite frankly have nightmares after realizing that I was driving with everything off when I assumed I was in MDM.

Live and learn.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #35
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I don't think the average M or AMG driver has any clue that the only thing keeping them straight on the road is a bunch of electronic nannies.... these motors are so torquey that if somebody could somehow in one hack disable traction control on M's and AMG's Los Angeles roads would turn into Armageddon. All these monster cars are amazing and need a high level of respect to be safe.... especially those that only come in RWD.
Appreciate 0