M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

M5's without Full Leather

I picked up a 2015 M5 a couple of weeks ago, landed at a dealer close to me with every option I wanted EXCEPT FULL LEATHER. I didn't want to wait 10 weeks to order one so I bought it. I didn't think the missing leather on the dash would be that big of a deal but every time I get in the car all I see is the bare looking dash. I looked into doing a retrofit to buy the full leather (dash, glovebox, 4 door panels) and it's going to cost about $9k including install by my local friendly BMW dealer. I ordered the dash/glovebox today and will start with that. I'm sure I'll add the door panels shortly. It's a lot of cash to add the option but after it's done you can bet every time I drive I car I'll appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
I picked up a 2015 M5 a couple of weeks ago, landed at a dealer close to me with every option I wanted EXCEPT FULL LEATHER. I didn't want to wait 10 weeks to order one so I bought it. I didn't think the missing leather on the dash would be that big of a deal but every time I get in the car all I see is the bare looking dash. I looked into doing a retrofit to buy the full leather (dash, glovebox, 4 door panels) and it's going to cost about $9k including install by my local friendly BMW dealer. I ordered the dash/glovebox today and will start with that. I'm sure I'll add the door panels shortly. It's a lot of cash to add the option but after it's done you can bet every time I drive I car I'll appreciate it.
It's a $3500 option, you will never get the money back. I wouldn't buy a car this expensive without full leather, I don't know why BMW offers it without, same story on the 911 but oh well, it's all about marketing options.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Quote:
It's a $3500 option, you will never get the money back. I wouldn't buy a car this expensive without full leather, I don't know why BMW offers it without, same story on the 911 but oh well, it's all about marketing options.
+1
      09-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

You should look into what you would loose on a trade-in. It may be close to the cost to retrofit full leather. Even if it's slightly more, it's probably worth to do that.

Another downside.. after a retrofit like that, you'll probably get rattles.
      09-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Seanmag
M-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP

curious, what is the quote just to do the dash and glove?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Damn thats a big chunk of $
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
You should look into what you would loose on a trade-in. It may be close to the cost to retrofit full leather. Even if it's slightly more, it's probably worth to do that.

This.

I'm personally would never have compromised on this. To me this is a deal breaker. I will never buy a car without full leather - even if it is a Ferrari for $50k off.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Still looking forward to seeing your Beast!

Curious about your comparison to your E60 M5??
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This.

I'm personally would never have compromised on this. To me this is a deal breaker. I will never buy a car without full leather - even if it is a Ferrari for $50k off.
+1
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
This.

Agree!
Full leather for a luxury-sport car is a MUST
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #11
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

Have to out myself again: The only one with 19", no B&O and no full leather. But if they would have had Carbon Ceramics in 2013, I would definitely have taken those ;-) I start even regretting getting the exec package. Isn't that all just adding weight?

Ranting to myself. Should stop hoping to turn my ///M5 into a 997GT2RS just because my wife/neighborhood/social standards wouldn't allow me to get a Pcar on top of the sedan without major pain and suffering ;-(((

Appreciate 1
      09-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post

I'm not worried about losing the cost of the upgrade. To me it's just like any other mod, you do it knowing it isn't going to increase the value of the car. I doubt there will be any issue with rattles. The dealer I work with has done a few of these retrofits without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmag View Post
curious, what is the quote just to do the dash and glove?
The dash and glovebox were around $1900 for just the parts. They quoted me $2000 in labor to do the full retrofit (dash and door panels) so I'm guessing the labor for just the dash should be < $1000.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke View Post
Still looking forward to seeing your Beast!

Curious about your comparison to your E60 M5??
Hey Philip. It's been so long since I had my E60 but the overall feel of the two cars seems very similar. The biggest difference in the driving experience has to be the dual clutch - I remember feeling like I got hit in the back with a sledge hammer every time I shifted the E60. I was expecting the F10 to have a lot more torque and bark in the lower rpms but like the E60 the F10 has to be revved if you want it to move. Hopefully a tune will help with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I can never own another BMW M car without full leather. Owning full leather for the past 5 years has ruined me. The Drivers Assistance Package I decided a long time ago that I could live without, but the Full Leather was a must have, and I was right. I still feel the DA Package should be standard on all BMW's. Probably in the next generation BMW's they will be.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I can never own another BMW M car without full leather. Owning full leather for the past 5 years has ruined me. The Drivers Assistance Package I decided a long time ago that I could live without, but the Full Leather was a must have, and I was right. I still feel the DA Package should be standard on all BMW's. Probably in the next generation BMW's they will be.
Getting more things standard will happen if Lexus does a better job piling on the pressure. When your competition is just Porsche, you can get away with nickel and diming people.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Getting more things standard will happen if Lexus does a better job piling on the pressure. When your competition is just Porsche, you can get away with nickel and diming people.
I think this depends on the outcome of the upcoming MMC facelift for the Lexus GS along with the announcement for a possible full-fledged Lexus GS-F.

We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime......

I have a question:
I just read the International Brochure for the BMW M5 and I just wanna ask something.

It mentions an item called:
"Full fine-grain Merino Leather = X3SW Black"

My question is: Does that item (X3SW Black) give you complete leather everywhere?

Or do you still need to purchase Option 4M5 (which is the leather dash and instrument panel)?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
I think this depends on the outcome of the upcoming MMC facelift for the Lexus GS along with the announcement for a possible full-fledged Lexus GS-F.

We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime......

I have a question:
I just read the International Brochure for the BMW M5 and I just wanna ask something.

It mentions an item called:
"Full fine-grain Merino Leather = X3SW Black"

My question is: Does that item (X3SW Black) give you complete leather everywhere?

Or do you still need to purchase Option 4M5 (which is the leather dash and instrument panel)?
LKSW Extended Black Merino Leather
X3SW Full Black Merino Leather... every where
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #18
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

If the upgrade makes you happy, I'd do it. Like you said, no other mod is adding value to the car, so if you're OK with the money to do it, just do it.

Why it's not standard? Same reason every other non-standard option isn't standard:

1. Product Management tells them where the magical price point is for the car - so only a certain number of options will fit into the base price, otherwise they'll be called overly expensive.

2. They can still charge extra for it. If people are paying, and the competition is Porsche (who charges extra for air in the tires), the data shows the market will bear it.

I think the full leather is nice. But I suspect there are those out there who would gladly pay less and not give it a second thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #19
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep

I will post some pics when I'm done. Full Leather at home and in my M5 it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
Houston Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

I am curious if other have gotten pricing. I have ordered a new 2015 M5 and am being told the cost to bring my extended Amaro Brown leather to Full Amaro Brown leather is and additional $4740 ($9,740 less the $5,000 on the configurator on line.)

Has anyone else down this and if so what did you pay?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
If the upgrade makes you happy, I'd do it. Like you said, no other mod is adding value to the car, so if you're OK with the money to do it, just do it.

Why it's not standard? Same reason every other non-standard option isn't standard:

1. Product Management tells them where the magical price point is for the car - so only a certain number of options will fit into the base price, otherwise they'll be called overly expensive.

2. They can still charge extra for it. If people are paying, and the competition is Porsche (who charges extra for air in the tires), the data shows the market will bear it.

I think the full leather is nice. But I suspect there are those out there who would gladly pay less and not give it a second thought.
Spot on.

Though, I'd never go with a 5 or above without full leather! 4 and below maybe... But even then I'd prob upgrade. But I personally value the finer details and materials.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
m5hadoop
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5 CP

I"m also in the camp that sees the M5 as a perfect combination of performance and luxury and there is no way I would've ordered mine without the full leather.

It makes sense for BMW to offer the option of forgoing full leather for those that don't care and prioritize the performance part, but I still don't understand why I had to go through BMW Individual to get a full leather Amaro Brown interior. Sure you can get full leather as long as it is Black, Silverstone or Sakhir Orange. Seems like an awfully limited choice to me for a car of this caliber.
Appreciate 0