M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #199
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
It's actually raining and we have between 5-7 deg C at the moment... Our relatives that came from Michigan had full on winter and snow, unlike here...

In the mountains it's snow and skiing weather though
Nice! Yeah I want to go skiing this season too. Maybe I come to Norway.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #200
PedM5
Rep
Drives: '02 M5

Quote:
I don't know the guy, but he was banned from M5Board last year under circumstances that doesn't seem favourable for him IMO...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post4178081

Also found this:

And this post by PedM5 seems a bit strange for an expert tuner...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...chip-tune.html

But that Besanko dude is an "interesting" character...

http://jalopnik.com/5713816/how-an-a...a-police-visit

Hello,

Figured I'd chime in since I'm being mentioned by name in here.

Thanks for searching and finding those posts that was interesting to read how I got started in tuning again. For the record, I was an enthusiast who was jerked around by tuners like most people, couldn't sort the BS from the real deal and after that post you quoted where I was left high and dry by powerchip not being able to get smogged I started learning how to tune myself. I did work for powerchip and tried very hard to improve their sales and support as well as their tuning. Powerchip's owner had a famous melt down but also the ex employees were doing a lot to try and destroy powerchip long before wayne destroyed it himself and it no longer made sense for me to try to save a sinking ship so I left. The last two months of my employment we were only selling E39 M5 tunes because of my personal reputation on the board everyone else had stopped calling.

I have been tuning as a career since then for many companies but after powerchip, I felt it better for me to do primarily wholesale tunes in the form of private/white labeling. I also worked for a well known Mercedes tuner here in SoCal and then BBI Autosport before starting my own company. I know how to tune lots of cars not just BMW, not just Mercedes and not just Porsche, so it's nice to be able to provide solutions for everyone for a change as well as apply knowledge from one marque to the next. Sometimes this industry is very hard to tolerate as there is a lot of shady people wheeling and dealing here and it is very stressful (this is why I have so much gray hair...or at least that's my excuse for it) so I preferred to stay out of the spotlight.

Back on the subject of tuning, the new Mercedes CLA45 AMG that we cracked has the same type of tuner protection as the F series bmw's so after we finished tuning the new AMG we decided to revisit the BMW world. We will probably rejoin the forums in 2015 now that we have something new to provide the community. I was kicked off M5board because I was not a sponsor but there was constant posts about my products, as such other vendors complained and got me banned. I still sell a lot of E39 M5 tunes so it didn't make sense to sponsor the forum for one product and the way the forum mods and owners treated me also made me not want to give them any money. Water under the bridge

I apologize for not setting a consumer website up earlier but for my wholesale accounts I had no need for a website as my dealers contact me directly and I spend most of my time on product development not web development.

As far as tuning the F series cars, there is a lot of healthy skepticism out there, but yes it is possible to flash a custom tune in an F10 M5, F8x M4, etc. The tuning protection for these ECU's is extremely hard to get by and requires a bit more work than just having a bench flashing device. As stated by someone else, opening the ECU's to flash them is par for the course now as Bosch and Siemens have been locking out the ability to read via OBD2 for quite a while now. The AMG's MED17 needs to be opened and there is no reason to be scared as long as your tuner knows what they're doing. I personally don't drill the ECU's but some tuners do either to save time or because they have a problem with breaking the boards when opening them. I will tell you however that the twin ECU's in the F10 M5 are the absolute hardest to open out of any ECU I've ever seen in my life. Luckily I've been opening ECU's since I started and it's nothing new to me. There will eventually be a way to flash them without removing the ECU's but that will take some time, look how long it took to get bench flashing going! It is the normal life cycle of a new generation of ECU's, when the E39 M5 first came out you had to pull the chips off and reflash them manually too and it wasn't until they were almost out of production that there was a very easy and widely available way to flash them OBD2. There was also a lot of false starts for flashing the F series cars but that's because someone shady was selling every tuner including me a method of flashing BMW signed files like the press file and anniversary file which would be loaded via ESYS OBD2. There is also a way to flash in an editable file OBD2 but there is problems with this method as well and of course the people that have access to such files want an arm and a leg for it.

I've attached a screen shot of a hexdump for an M4 we have been playing with. It shows one of the VMAX maps and the area which contains the rev limit or NMAX. You apply a conversion factor of .25 to the values of 32000 to get the rev limit of 8000RPM. There is obviously different rev limits for different conditions including limp modes which is why there are so many here. I apologize for not taking the time to identify the maps individually in winols I just had no intention of changing the rev limit so it would be a waste of my time. I'd also love to show you the fun parts but I don't want to give away 2 years of blood sweat and tears to get to this point. I also attached the M4 hexdump and not the M5 because there has been a stock F10 M5 file floating around for a while now that anyone can get ahold of, the M4 is harder to come by.

Anyways thanks for letting me chime in guys, it's an exciting time for the community again now that there is a way to get rid of those pesky warning lights on the dash and maximize the potential of these machines. The AMG guys have been going largely uncontested for a while now, will be interesting to see a fully done up 63 AMG vs f10 M5 here in U.S. soil
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 02:41 AM   #201
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedM5 View Post
Hello,

Thanks for searching and finding those posts that was interesting to read how I got started in tuning again. For the record, I was an enthusiast who was jerked around by tuners like most people, couldn't sort the BS from the real deal and after that post you quoted where I was left high and dry by powerchip not being able to get smogged I started learning how to tune myself. I did work for powerchip and tried very hard to improve their sales and support as well as their tuning. Powerchip's owner had a famous melt down but also the ex employees were doing a lot to try and destroy powerchip long before wayne destroyed it himself and it no longer made sense for me to try to save a sinking ship so I left. The last two months of my employment we were only selling E39 M5 tunes because of my personal reputation on the board everyone else had stopped calling.

I have been tuning as a career since then for many companies but after powerchip, I felt it better for me to do primarily wholesale tunes in the form of private/white labeling. I also worked for a well known Mercedes tuner here in SoCal and then BBI Autosport before starting my own company. I know how to tune lots of cars not just BMW, not just Mercedes and not just Porsche, so it's nice to be able to provide solutions for everyone for a change as well as apply knowledge from one marque to the next. Sometimes this industry is very hard to tolerate as there is a lot of shady people wheeling and dealing here and it is very stressful (this is why I have so much gray hair...or at least that's my excuse for it) so I preferred to stay out of the spotlight.

Back on the subject of tuning, the new Mercedes CLA45 AMG that we cracked has the same type of tuner protection as the F series bmw's so after we finished tuning the new AMG we decided to revisit the BMW world. We will probably rejoin the forums in 2015 now that we have something new to provide the community. I was kicked off M5board because I was not a sponsor but there was constant posts about my products, as such other vendors complained and got me banned. I still sell a lot of E39 M5 tunes so it didn't make sense to sponsor the forum for one product and the way the forum mods and owners treated me also made me not want to give them any money. Water under the bridge

I apologize for not setting a consumer website up earlier but for my wholesale accounts I had no need for a website as my dealers contact me directly and I spend most of my time on product development not web development.

As far as tuning the F series cars, there is a lot of healthy skepticism out there, but yes it is possible to flash a custom tune in an F10 M5, F8x M4, etc. The tuning protection for these ECU's is extremely hard to get by and requires a bit more work than just having a bench flashing device. As stated by someone else, opening the ECU's to flash them is par for the course now as Bosch and Siemens have been locking out the ability to read via OBD2 for quite a while now. The AMG's MED17 needs to be opened and there is no reason to be scared as long as your tuner knows what they're doing. I personally don't drill the ECU's but some tuners do either to save time or because they have a problem with breaking the boards when opening them. I will tell you however that the twin ECU's in the F10 M5 are the absolute hardest to open out of any ECU I've ever seen in my life. Luckily I've been opening ECU's since I started and it's nothing new to me. There will eventually be a way to flash them without removing the ECU's but that will take some time, look how long it took to get bench flashing going! It is the normal life cycle of a new generation of ECU's, when the E39 M5 first came out you had to pull the chips off and reflash them manually too and it wasn't until they were almost out of production that there was a very easy and widely available way to flash them OBD2. There was also a lot of false starts for flashing the F series cars but that's because someone shady was selling every tuner including me a method of flashing BMW signed files like the press file and anniversary file which would be loaded via ESYS OBD2. There is also a way to flash in an editable file OBD2 but there is problems with this method as well and of course the people that have access to such files want an arm and a leg for it.

I've attached a screen shot of a hexdump for an M4 we have been playing with. It shows one of the VMAX maps and the area which contains the rev limit or NMAX. You apply a conversion factor of .25 to the values of 32000 to get the rev limit of 8000RPM. There is obviously different rev limits for different conditions including limp modes which is why there are so many here. I apologize for not taking the time to identify the maps individually in winols I just had no intention of changing the rev limit so it would be a waste of my time. I'd also love to show you the fun parts but I don't want to give away 2 years of blood sweat and tears to get to this point. I also attached the M4 hexdump and not the M5 because there has been a stock F10 M5 file floating around for a while now that anyone can get ahold of, the M4 is harder to come by.

Anyways thanks for letting me chime in guys, it's an exciting time for the community again now that there is a way to get rid of those pesky warning lights on the dash and maximize the potential of these machines. The AMG guys have been going largely uncontested for a while now, will be interesting to see a fully done up 63 AMG vs f10 M5 here in U.S. soil
Thanks for the insight on the tuning for these vehicles.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #202
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Hello,

Good post Pedram.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #203
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the personal input and info

You might have seen this thread as well?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1065967

More and more Euro tuners are now offering software tunes for the Fxx gen of BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #204
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

PedM5, thanks for coming on here and posting. The community appreciates your honesty and transparency.

So there we have it folks. The ECU encryption is not broken and physical manipulation of the ECU's is required. Though AMG and Audi folks may be used to this way of doing business, it is far too risky for me at this time. I don't really care if I can get 1,000hp from a tune by going with the method that Ped talked about, I simply don't want anyone drilling into my ECU's. Call me crazy, but I just don't trust anyone to do that. There may be ballers around here who can afford 5 M6 Gran Coupes if they wanted to but I saved up from 4 deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan just to buy my little M5. I don't want anyone cracking into my car like that, I worked too hard for it.

I'd like to hear gmd2003 chime in on this as well. He is also a highly respected and recognized expert in tuning.

Also Boss330, would you let someone tune your 5-Seried this way??

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #205
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
PedM5, thanks for coming on here and posting. The community appreciates your honesty and transparency.

So there we have it folks. The ECU encryption is not broken and physical manipulation of the ECU's is required. Though AMG and Audi folks may be used to this way of doing business, it is far too risky for me at this time. I don't really care if I can get 1,000hp from a tune by going with the method that Ped talked about, I simply don't want anyone drilling into my ECU's. Call me crazy, but I just trust anyone to do that. There may be ballers around here who can afford 5 M6 Gran Coupes if they wanted to but I saved up from 4 deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan just to buy my little M5. I don't want anyone cracking into my car like that, I worked too hard for it.

I'd like to hear gmd2003 chime in on this as well. He is also a highly respected and recognized expert in tuning.

Also Boss330, would you let someone tune your 5-Seried this way??
I wouldn't have anybody drill into my DME, no...

But AFAIK the guys at BR Performance in Belgium and Leib doesn't drill into the DME?

However I also know that tuners have found a way to crack the 10 hour time lock in the DME. That opens up the DME, but might only be good for certain limited tuning possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #206
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

So this means that Ams cracks open the Dme right?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #207
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots
So this means that Ams cracks open the Dme right?
Yes, probably, but they have not come out and stated this. I'm willing to bet my exotic collection of rare pencil erasers that they are physically opening the ECU's themselves or are being sent pre-opened, pre-configured ECU's from European tuners such as BR or Lieb.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #208
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Nice! Yeah I want to go skiing this season too. Maybe I come to Norway.
We have Americans staying with us for Christmas so we're used to it. You should definitely come over some time Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #209
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
I'm willing to bet my exotic collection of rare pencil erasers that they are physically opening the ECU's themselves or are being sent pre-opened, pre-configured ECU's from European tuners such as BR or Lieb.
I have no experience with rewriting ECU, from any manufacturer, but doesn't the ECU need to have the VIN and/or other info identifying the particular vehicle it's in? Can anyone other than the dealer or BMW place the VIN identifier in the ECU? Or, once the ECU is open is everything able to be modified or changed?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #210
PedM5
Rep
Drives: '02 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Good post Pedram.
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
You are very welcome

Quote:

More and more Euro tuners are now offering software tunes for the Fxx gen of BMW
I have seen that post and until a month or so ago I had not heard of them either but they are definitely able to tune the f series cars.

The way the industry works is there is a flow-down of information, tools, knowledge etc. and it is always released in Europe first as they are closer to the information, but even amongst European tuners there's kind of a hierarchy. The people closest to the release of information are obviously the first to have support either with OEM tools or a backdoor provided by a manufacturer of ECU's, then information is leaked either friend to friend or sold at great expense. The first time I got a quote for the ability to unlock the new tuner protection ecu's I was quoted 400,000 euro

There was a major industry info leak that provide support for F-series cars this past week but so far only diesel models are the only one's widely supported by companies like CMD, Dimsport, etc. The guys who can do the petrol models have something a bit harder to come by. I suspect most tuners now that are claiming to tune the new ECU's are sending them out to Europe to get unlocked and then tuning them which can take 2 weeks or more. We can do it in house same day

Just like the Benz market a lot of tuners drill the ECU's, it's a lot faster but there's also a lot of drawbacks. I think that's an important question to ask your tuner if you are considering tuning. The location of the ECU's on the F10 especially with coolant lines everywhere makes it risky to have a hole in your ECU cover. I personally have never drilled but I understand why other tuners do.

The big issue with having an OBD2 port flash right now is that the flexray system BMW has incorporated is a disruptive technology, it required new hardware and the tuning market is slow to adapt; However, as I said before there will be a solution that won't require ECU removal perhaps sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 02:11 AM   #211
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Good post Pedram.
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
You are very welcome

Quote:

I have seen that post and until a month or so ago I had not heard of them either but they are definitely able to tune the f series cars.

The way the industry works is there is a flow-down of information, tools, knowledge etc. and it is always released in Europe first as they are closer to the information, but even amongst European tuners there's kind of a hierarchy. The people closest to the release of information are obviously the first to have support either with OEM tools or a backdoor provided by a manufacturer of ECU's, then information is leaked either friend to friend or sold at great expense. The first time I got a quote for the ability to unlock the new tuner protection ecu's I was quoted 400,000 euro

There was a major industry info leak that provide support for F-series cars this past week but so far only diesel models are the only one's widely supported by companies like CMD, Dimsport, etc. The guys who can do the petrol models have something a bit harder to come by. I suspect most tuners now that are claiming to tune the new ECU's are sending them out to Europe to get unlocked and then tuning them which can take 2 weeks or more. We can do it in house same day

Just like the Benz market a lot of tuners drill the ECU's, it's a lot faster but there's also a lot of drawbacks. I think that's an important question to ask your tuner if you are considering tuning. The location of the ECU's on the F10 especially with coolant lines everywhere makes it risky to have a hole in your ECU cover. I personally have never drilled but I understand why other tuners do.

The big issue with having an OBD2 port flash right now is that the flexray system BMW has incorporated is a disruptive technology, it required new hardware and the tuning market is slow to adapt; However, as I said before there will be a solution that won't require ECU removal perhaps sooner rather than later.
Thank you

Care to explain a bit about the flexray?

My car recently had a flexray "breakdown" when someone removed the DME and reconnected it WITHOUT unplugging the battery...

At the same time the blue DME relay decided to quit as well... Was told I needed a new DME since the BMW garage couldn't get the DME working. That was fixed with the blue relay for $20 fortunately...

However they had to reset the flexray and had to unplug the battery for 1 hour before being able to reset it.

Could the flexray breakdown have been caused by the unplugging and plugging of the DME with the battery still connected?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #212
znammzM6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 SG M6

RPIM5,

I'm on the same boat as you man, 2 deployments in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan and I saved enough to buys the M5/M6 =)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #213
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Woof. I am out. There isn't a chance in hell I am letting anyone physically get into my ECU. Piggybacks like BMS are one thing, I can unplug and leave no trace in less than 5 minutes. DINAN is another thing in that BMW and DINAN still cover the warranty.

Sure this Euro tune does more HP, but a DINAN S2 M5 does nearly 700HP, which is 300 more than my 550i. I'll be happy with 700HP. Perhaps it'll be a Hellcat killer....
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #214
rafaele92
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 YMB & M6 F13 CP SBlack

Here in Europe we can tune the F SERIES.

u open the ecu , and u flash it , still OBD dont work.

and its new.

here its a 750d

14“Mini JCW GP2 R56 - SOLD
14“Suzuki Hayabusa 50th Edition - Current
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #215
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by znammzM6
RPIM5,

I'm on the same boat as you man, 2 deployments in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan and I saved enough to buys the M5/M6 =)
You get it.

No one is prying the brain of my Mika open.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #216
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfa372
Woof. I am out. There isn't a chance in hell I am letting anyone physically get into my ECU. Piggybacks like BMS are one thing, I can unplug and leave no trace in less than 5 minutes. DINAN is another thing in that BMW and DINAN still cover the warranty.

Sure this Euro tune does more HP, but a DINAN S2 M5 does nearly 700HP, which is 300 more than my 550i. I'll be happy with 700HP. Perhaps it'll be a Hellcat killer....
EXACTLY!

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #217
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be
Quote:
I'm willing to bet my exotic collection of rare pencil erasers that they are physically opening the ECU's themselves or are being sent pre-opened, pre-configured ECU's from European tuners such as BR or Lieb.
I have no experience with rewriting ECU, from any manufacturer, but doesn't the ECU need to have the VIN and/or other info identifying the particular vehicle it's in? Can anyone other than the dealer or BMW place the VIN identifier in the ECU? Or, once the ECU is open is everything able to be modified or changed?
I honestly don't know how it would affect the VIN coding inside the software. I suspect that it would be nothing good though.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #218
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Quote:
RPIM5,

You get it.

Eventually people will fe able to OBD flash our cars , but until then physically opening the ECU or ECU's in our case to bench flash is just not an appealing option . Especially since the Lieb 749 hp flash , only offers .1 second improvement over my best 100-200 km/he time with the Dinan stage 1 lol ( 6.2vs6.3 seconds) . Not a lot of real performance data out there yet either . I am at the point where I don't believe any of these dyno's anymore . All these 530whp + M3/4s . Look at the EAS car it ran JB4 ,full exhaust, and race gas and only had a 151mph best at the recent half mile event ? Right lol
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #219
FreakM5
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Eventually people will fe able to OBD flash our cars , but until then physically opening the ECU or ECU's in our case to bench flash is just not an appealing option . Especially since the Lieb 749 hp flash , only offers .1 second improvement over my best 100-200 km/he time with the Dinan stage 1 lol ( 6.2vs6.3 seconds) . Not a lot of real performance data out there yet either . I am at the point where I don't believe any of these dyno's anymore . All these 530whp + M3/4s . Look at the EAS car it ran JB4 ,full exhaust, and race gas and only had a 151mph best at the recent half mile event ? Right lol
Wow
So with Dina S1 you ran 6.2-6.3?
What was stock numbers?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #220
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003
Quote:
Quote:
RPIM5,

You get it.

To be fair I believe he set that time with 3 people in the car and on a wet/damp road...
Appreciate 0