M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 DIY Guides

03-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
1320racer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

BMW F10 rear power shade, need DIY, how to fix?

Until recently, I’d gently assist my rear power shade down, while pressing the down button. The shade would then retract into the rear shelf. Unfortunately, now the shade has completely seized in the upright position.
Note: Whenever I pressed the button for the shade to raise up, it always did so quickly and without struggle or hesitation. The problem happens only going when initially retracting downward into the rear shelf.

I am likely wrong but can’t seem to locate any good threads regarding repair and/or replacement of BMW F10 power rear shade. Primarily, what I’m finding is to take it to the dealer and they completely replace the entire power rear shade assembly. I also have found small kits available for older models that have metal parts to replace broken plastic parts. It is difficult to see, but my shade doesn’t appear to have broken parts.

Does anyone know the actual cause of the problem? When I asked a service advisor if the new part has been improved or changed in any way, I received no clear answer. Then I asked for the original part number and if it matched the current part number that they’d be installing. I got nowhere and will try asking another dealer and will post what I find out.

This is one of the better threads I have found as it contain some pictures. Unfortunately, it does not provide enough detail to really make this a do it yourself job (DIY)...
https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/11/12/f10-rear-sunshade/

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Past: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 BMW 550i MSport, 2005 Jaguar S-Type R, 2000 BMW 540i, 1997 BMW 540i, 1997 WS6 Pontiac Firebird, 1992 Eagle Talon TSI

Last edited by 1320racer; 03-20-2021 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Added note.
Appreciate 0